Sabres Prospects 2016-17

Hoss

I absolutely hate analyses like that.  I'll never understand the point of looking at something without factoring in trades and free agents.  I know that's impossible to project, but it is a huge part of any team building process.  Find me one team who hasn't added a single player from another NHL team over a 3 year period.  Good luck with that search.  I don't understand the logic behind putting something together based on a set of rules that immediately invalidate it.

Analyses like this are useful in the sense that they provide a quick assessment of the current strengths and weaknesses of a franchise. No one seriously believes such a list will remain static for 3 years, that every player will develop as projected, that no trades will be made, that no new players will be drafted, or that free agency won't alter the position landscape.

For those who aren't already very familiar with the Sabres organization, after this analysis it should now be apparent that the franchise is incredibly strong at center, lacking in RHD depth, missing elite talent at LHD, okay at goalie, and maybe a bit deficient at wing if a couple of the centers don't slide over there.

I am a broken record here, but in my opinion, JBot's main objective and main difficulty now is to identify a top-50 NHL defenseman to pair with Risto in time for our EXPECTED deep playoff run in 3 years. He doesn't need to be a Norris Trophy winner; we just need to hang with offensive powerhouse teams like Toronto and Edmonton. And I'm not confident that this player is currently on the roster or that he can easily be obtained through free agency or future draft picks. Trades may be our best bet. Fortunately for us, we see that we have a surplus of quality forwards to move. Seven of our forwards (Eichel, Reinhart, O'Reilly, Kane, Okposo, Nylander, Mittelstadt) have top-line (top-100 NHL forward) projections.

Analyses like this are useful in the sense that they provide a quick assessment of the current strengths and weaknesses of a franchise. No one seriously believes such a list will remain static for 3 years, that every player will develop as projected, that no trades will be made, that no new players will be drafted, or that free agency won't alter the position landscape.

For those who aren't already very familiar with the Sabres organization, after this analysis it should now be apparent that the franchise is incredibly strong at center, lacking in RHD depth, missing elite talent at LHD, okay at goalie, and maybe a bit deficient at wing if a couple of the centers don't slide over there.

I am a broken record here, but in my opinion, JBot's main objective and main difficulty now is to identify a top-50 NHL defenseman to pair with Risto in time for our EXPECTED deep playoff run in 3 years. He doesn't need to be a Norris Trophy winner; we just need to hang with offensive powerhouse teams like Toronto and Edmonton. And I'm not confident that this player is currently on the roster or that he can easily be obtained through free agency or future draft picks. Trades may be our best bet. Fortunately for us, we see that we have a surplus of quality forwards to move. Seven of our forwards (Eichel, Reinhart, O'Reilly, Kane, Okposo, Nylander, Mittelstadt) have top-line (top-100 NHL forward) projections.

So basically you are saying Sabres are going Edmonton's previous route or suckitude... heavy at forward till Sabres hit the right combo, then trade a few of those assets to shore up the D.... sounds about right... hopefully...

That guys shot and skill level is through the friggen roof.  He will never be a guy grinding in the corners or stellar defensively but if he gets big enough to play strong on the puck look out. Riding shotgun with Eichel I could see those two putting up a ton of points.

Is that really him? His legs are still pipe cleaners but dudes upper body is yoked.

That's him. Picture is from the Swedish Open tennis tournament. He was there with his brother and some friends. Some other pics of him look exactly the same.

Well, he sure looks substantial enough to play in the NHL. 

Nylander stepping up and developing into a productive top-6 winger in the next couple of years would certainly help rehabilitate XGMTM's legacy.

GMTM's tenure here will be seen in a more favourable light the more time passes, I suspect. Inability to ice a competitive team, losing the locker room, standing by DDB, these things certainly hurt him in the moment and will remain to do so for those that remember, but if the Sabres have success going forward, it's going to be primarily with the core he assembled.

He will be remembered as the guy who assembled the group of Eichel, Reinhart, O'Reilly, Nylander, and Guhle. If Kane and Lehner work out here long term? His legacy will be looked upon even more favourably by those that remember him as the one who acquired all those players.

William had the same thing happen when he began training with his dad like Alex did this summer.

So he's right on track, then.

The whole size/strength thing is overrated IMO.  

Every prospect interviewed at dev camp spoke of getting bigger and stronger over the summer, when they should focus mostly on endurance and speed of movement.

Strength will come naturally as they age.    Getting too big too fast only slows you down and you lose some muscle memory and coordination in the process.

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.