Sabres Prospects 2016-17

Hoss

I don't doubt that it can / will actually be better in reality than the lineup posited in the article. That lineup though, is hot garbage.

Oh yea that lineup sucks. Also I think Nylander plays the off wing. Edited by LGR4GM

I don't doubt that it can / will actually be better in reality than the lineup posited in the article. That lineup though, is hot garbage.

I don't think so. Not if you allow for the reasoning behind the projections in the article to be true, as well. That lineup would have an elite centre spine, a good RW, and a Pu that has, from the projection in the article/proposed lineup, developed into a good player, on the LW.

D looks pretty good, too (aside from Bogo).

The inclusion of Smith is an odd one, I'll give you that. But switch him with Mittelstadt, and it's looking pretty good. And also pretty close to what we should expect, to be honest. Plus minus a Kane.

Edited by Thorny

I don't think so. Not if you allow for the reasoning behind the projections in the article to be true, as well. That lineup would have an elite centre spine, a good RW, and a Pu that has, from the projection in the article/proposed lineup, developed into a good player, on the LW.

D looks pretty good, too (aside from Bogo).

The inclusion of Smith is an odd one, I'll give you that. But switch him with Mittelstadt, and it's looking pretty good. And also pretty close to what we should expect, to be honest. Plus minus a Kane.

And a Pu, Larsson, and Zemgus.  Just no.

Oh yea that lineup sucks. Also I think Nylander plays the off wing.

If that lineup "sucks", we are in for a world of hurt. There's a decent chance the only difference is Mittelstadt:

Mittelstadt - Eichel - Nylander

Pu - O'Reilly - Okposo

Larsson - Reinhart - Bailey

Girgensons - Asplund - Fasching

Scandella - Ristolainen

Guhle - Beaulieu

McCabe - Bogosian

Ullmark

Johansson

...looks fine to me.

And a Pu, Larsson, and Zemgus.  Just no.

In the context of the article, Pu develops into a contributing winger. Certainly not out of the realm of possibility. Sub in Baptiste if you want, but I don't think Pu is a less likely candidate to succeed here.

Edited by Thorny

I think the Sabres are actually 2-4 in Conference Finals (1975, 1980, 1998, 1999, 2006, 2007).

5 Appearances in Conference Finals (record 2-3)

That article doesn't include Mittelstadt, Kane, Baptiste, and Davidsson. Here are my top 12 forwards in a few years:

Kane - Reinhart - Okposo

Asplund - O'Reilly - Baptiste

Davidsson - Girgensons - Bailey

That looks incredibly strong to me. Possibly the best in the entire league if all 12 reach their talent projections? Or am I being a homer?

I think the Sabres are actually 2-4 in Conference Finals (1975, 1980, 1998, 1999, 2006, 2007).

That article doesn't include Mittelstadt, Kane, Baptiste, and Davidsson. Here are my top 12 forwards in a few years:

Kane - Reinhart - Okposo

That looks incredibly strong to me. Possibly the best in the entire league if all 12 reach their talent projections? Or am I being a homer?

I agree that looks good. I'd say thought that with the exception of Mittelstadt, it's very similar to the one posted in the article, though. Basically, I don't see a discernible difference between Pu/Fasching and Davidsson/Baptiste. Kane for Larsson is a nice upgrade, though.

Basically, I think the article's lineup looks a heck of a lot better with only one simple addition, that of Mittelstadt.

ROR will be a winger in any lineup in 2 years, preferably on Jacks wing. Asplund will take Larssons place. Casey will be a pivot with OK on his wing. I doubt Bailey ever becomes a consistent NHL contributor but I think Baptiste and Fasching break out this year. If Kane signs to a workable number and plays alongside Asplund we would have very good distributed scoring and wheels through out the lineup.

I agree that looks good. I'd say thought that with the exception of Mittelstadt, it's very similar to the one posted in the article, though. Basically, I don't see a discernible difference between Pu/Fasching and Davidsson/Baptiste. Kane for Larsson is a nice upgrade, though.

Basically, I think the article's lineup looks a heck of a lot better with only one simple addition, that of Mittelstadt.

Interesting comment of Davidsson/Baptiste - Pu/Fasching... though if all four develop well then the Sabres will have some trade bait for D.  We will see and if one or two develop further even more chance for a good hockey trade or high end picks...

I absolutely hate analyses like that.  I'll never understand the point of looking at something without factoring in trades and free agents.  I know that's impossible to project, but it is a huge part of any team building process.  Find me one team who hasn't added a single player from another NHL team over a 3 year period.  Good luck with that search.  I don't understand the logic behind putting something together based on a set of rules that immediately invalidate it.

Not saying our defence doesn't need better players in the NHL or more prospects in the pipeline. It does.

I am saying that our desperation for d is a bit overstated when you look at the demographic of our NHL roster:

Risto and McCabe are 23 and should be in our top four for a long time.

Antipin and Beaulieu are 24 and could become middle-pair guys.

Scandella and Bogosian are 27 and under contract for a while.

That's a young defence with a lot of questions, but also some upside. They definitely can skate.

Time will tell if they are overmatched, but they should buy Botterill some time.

And they could actually develop into something decent.

With Guhle coming, if one of Antipin, Beaulieu or Bogosian develops/rebounds and we grab a D high next year, we could look a lot better fairly quickly.

Edited by dudacek

Just 2 years ago the future was supposed guys like Lemieux, Armia, Zadorov, Compher, Petersen, etc...

It's pointless to try and forecast a lineup more than one year in advance.

It's a message board. Everything we do on here is useless 

Kane - Reinhart - Okposo

You're being a homer. :) Realistically, six of those players (all wings) aren't NHL players yet. I like Mittelstadt, Nylander to make it. I'd guess one of the remaining four make it. If two of the four do, that beats the odds.

Edited by MattPie

Not saying our defence doesn't need better players in the NHL or more prospects in the pipeline. It does.

I am saying that our desperation for d is a bit overstated when you look at the demographic of our NHL roster:

Risto and McCabe are 23 and should be in our top four for a long time.

Antipin and Beaulieu are 24 and could become middle-pair guys.

Scandella and Bogosian are 27 and under contract for a while.

That's a young defence with a lot of questions, but also some upside. They definitely can skate.

Time will tell if they are overmatched, but they should buy Botterill some time.

And they could actually develop into something decent.

With Guhle coming, if one of Antipin, Beaulieu or Bogosian develops/rebounds and we grab a D high next year, we could look a lot better fairly quickly.

Please, no! Playoffs next year!

You're being a homer. :) Realistically, six of those players (all wings) aren't NHL players yet. I like Mittelstadt, Nylander to make it. I'd guess one of the remaining four make it. If two of the four do, that beats the odds.

The odds increase though when you start adding guys like Pu and Fasching to the list. Only a few have to pan out.

The hockeynews has now weighed in on Dudacek's idea.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/2020-vision-what-the-buffalo-sabres-roster-will-look-like-in-three-years

Their lineup

Smith Eichel Nylander

Pu ROR Okposo

Larsson Reinhart Bailey

Girgensons Asplund Fasching

Scandella Risto

Guhle Beaulieu

McCabe Bogo

Ullmark

Johansson

Problems: No Mittelstadt, Larsson on the wing, Johansson as the backup, and Asplund as a 4th line center

More likely

Mittelstadt Eichel Okposo

Nylander ROR Reinhart

Smith Asplund Bailey

Girgensons Larsson Fasching

Edited by GASabresFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.