Sabres Prospects 2016-17

Hoss

I would say you should expect improvement in Cornel this coming season. Look at the first season in the AHL for Baptiste and Carrier - not much better. Give the kid a chance.

I'll never agree that Murray was a bad GM. What really did he ever give away?? best anyone will come up with is Pysyk and to me thats really not that much.

he overpaid Moulson and brought in a bad contract with Bogo but took out the Myers contract at the same time. I have a feeling that he had an agreement in place for Vegas to take Moulson or Bogo. But i digress

I know I'll never convince you he was a lousy GM, but spending 81 million in real $ for a team that finished 5th worst is unacceptable. You are also forgetting that he brought in overpaid and unproductive Kulikov, Franson, and Gorges, left the D pipeline empty except Guhle, didn't get adequate D depth for Buffalo which when the injuries hit destroyed the seasons for both Roch and Buffalo.

As to the prospects, I hope Cornel and all the others continue to develop and force the Sabres to give them a chance. Our organizational depth could use all the help it can get. We are desperate for homegrown prospects at center in Rochester and on D in both Buffalo and Roch.

One other note on TM has his drafting. In his three drafts with the Sabres he made eight 1st and 2nd rd picks. Of those 8 he only draft 1 D. In those same drafts he also traded away 4 2nd rd picks and 2 1st rd picks. Who knows, maybe if he had kept some of those picks, our pipeline would be deep at other positions besides RW.

Edited by GASabresFan

Who are top 10 prospects heading into the draft. (Ullmark, Erod, and Carrier have graduated from this list based on age and experience)

1 & 2 are Nylander and Guhle. Right now I'd argue for Guhle 1 and Nylander 2 based on Guhle seems closer to being NHL ready.

So who is 3-10. Candidates: Bailey, Fasching, Asplund, Pu, Baptiste, Petersen, Borgen, Estephan, Fitzgerald. Anyone else? Cornel? What order?

3. Asplund - improved this season in a tough league, but are Pu and Estephan closing the gap? SHL for one more season?

4. Baptiste - 25 goal season has him on top of the RW candidates. Should make the Sabres.

5. Peterson - named to US World Championship Team. I'd have him higher if I was sure he was still interested in playing for us.

6. Pu - huge jump in production and two way play and excellence in the faceoff circle. One more year in London.

7. Bailey - needs more consistency. May make the Sabres next year anyway.

8. Estephan - another very good CHL season, but dominating in the playoffs. Should be in Roch next season.

9. Fasching - injuries moved him down the list after making the Sabres in camp last season. Likely starts in Roch next season.

10. Borgen - Soph season not quite as good as Freshman year at St Cloud. Going back to school for another year.

Next group: Cornel, Malone, Fitzgerald, Johansson, Nelson, Smith, Hagel?

Edited by GASabresFan

Who are top 10 prospects heading into the draft. (Ullmark, Erod, and Carrier have graduated from this list based on age and experience)

1 & 2 are Nylander and Guhle. Right now I'd argue for Guhle 1 and Nylander 2 based on Guhle seems closer to being NHL ready.

So who is 3-10. Candidates: Bailey, Fasching, Asplund, Pu, Baptiste, Petersen, Borgen, Estephan, Fitzgerald. Anyone else? Cornel? What order?

3. Asplund - improved this season in a tough league, but are Pu and Estephan closing the gap? SHL for one more season?

4. Baptiste - 25 goal season has him on top of the RW candidates. Should make the Sabres.

5. Peterson - named to US World Championship Team. I'd have him higher if I was sure he was still interested in playing for us.

6. Pu - huge jump in production and two way play and excellence in the faceoff circle. One more year in London.

8. Estephan - another very good CHL season, but dominating in the playoffs. Should be in Roch next season.

9. Fasching - injuries moved him down the list after making the Sabres in camp last season. Likely starts in Roch next season.

10. Borgen - Soph season not quite as good as Freshman year at St Cloud. Going back to school for another year.

Asplund is confirmed to remain in Sweden next season

Remaining prospects

G: Kasdorf

D: Austin, Stephens, Nelson, Florentino, Martin, Chukarov, Nyberg, Budik, and Osmanski

C: Hurley, Dupuy, Glotov, 

W/F: Possler, Brown, Willman, Peterson, Karabacek, Olofsson, Murray

Besides Austin, any of these guys interest anyone?  I know Glotov had a pretty good first NA season and Stephens improved and Budik was ok.  Can Nelson make himself relevant again? 

Remaining prospects

D: Austin, Stephens, Nelson, Florentino, Martin, Chukarov, Nyberg, Budik, and Osmanski

Besides Austin, any of these guys interest anyone? I know Glotov had a pretty good first NA season and Stephens improved and Budik was ok. Can Nelson make himself relevant again?

I'd be surprised if any of those guys get a good shot.

Remaining prospects

Besides Austin, any of these guys interest anyone? I know Glotov had a pretty good first NA season and Stephens improved and Budik was ok. Can Nelson make himself relevant again?

I expect nothing to very little from any of them. Any of them doing anything relevant for the Sabres would be a nice surprise.

Have we already given up on Swedish Stamkos? Looks like he's 5'11" now and still playing really well. He'll be 22 in July and according to this http://www.dobberprospects.com/victor-olofsson-2/he had a pretty good regular season and post season, with 12 points in 13 playoff games. 

Maybe Modo knows a little more about how he looked this year. 

Edited by IrwinNelson

Remaining prospects

Besides Austin, any of these guys interest anyone?  I know Glotov had a pretty good first NA season and Stephens improved and Budik was ok.  Can Nelson make himself relevant again? 

If I had to chose 1 guy from that list that would be a future full time contributing Sabre it would be Devante Stephens. Though Nelson and Austin will have moments as injury call ups.

Have we already given up on Swedish Stamkos? Looks like he's 5'11" now and still playing really well. He'll be 22 in July and according to this http://www.dobberprospects.com/victor-olofsson-2/he had a pretty good regular season and post season, with 12 points in 13 playoff games. 

Maybe Modo knows a little more about how he looked this year. 

Im not. I want Olofsson brought over to start getting use to NA hockey. He has played in the SHL for 3 years now. Olofsson I think has another year left on his SHL deal but maybe next summer? It would be nice to bring in a 23 year old polished player on an entry level type deal. 

Edited by LGR4GM

I like that you have Baptiste rated higher than most. I would even put him as #3. I think he has a good shot at being a top 6 winger.

Im not. I want Olofsson brought over to start getting use to NA hockey. He has played in the SHL for 3 years now. Olofsson I think has another year left on his SHL deal but maybe next summer? It would be nice to bring in a 23 year old polished player on an entry level type deal.

Agreed injury bug seemed to have gotten him last year but seems to finally gotten over it.

Did they ever give him a contract?

The Sabres.

No? Unsure really.

Here is a good read though on Olofsson from March

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2017/3/4/14802904/rasmus-asplund-victor-olofsson-buffalo-sabres-make-it-to-the-nhl 

"As for how his contact with Buffalo goes, it seems that the Sabres are aware of Olofsson’s progress this year. “Buffalo is keeping tabs on me, we have mail contact but most is being handled by the Scandinavian scouts, Jan Axel Alavraa and Anders Forsberg. Both of them have been my coaches previously so it feels good, they know my strengths and help me work on my weaknesses.”"

If I had to chose 1 guy from that list that would be a future full time contributing Sabre it would be Devante Stephens. Though Nelson and Austin will have moments as injury call ups.

I actually like Stephens as well. He is already 20, so it will be interesting to see what the Sabres do. He has size, skates well and is phyiscal and this year he showed a little offense. He also played in Kelowna, and they know how to develop a D.

I like that you have Baptiste rated higher than most. I would even put him as #3. I think he has a good shot at being a top 6 winger.

I love Baptiste's game. When he was on Erie he could score, skate, grind and also killed penalties. I think he could become Wayne Simmonds in the right situation. He, Bailey and Fasching are Dean Lombardi type players.

In fact, I hope, regardless of coach or GM that we start out with KO, Baptiste and Bailey as our top 3 RW. It's time to go young and let the chips fall where they may.

I actually like Stephens as well. He is already 20, so it will be interesting to see what the Sabres do. He has size, skates well and is phyiscal and this year he showed a little offense. He also played in Kelowna, and they know how to develop a D.

I love Baptiste's game. When he was on Erie he could score, skate, grind and also killed penalties. I think he could become Wayne Simmonds in the right situation. He, Bailey and Fasching are Dean Lombardi type players.

In fact, I hope, regardless of coach or GM that we start out with KO, Baptiste and Bailey as our top 3 RW. It's time to go young and let the chips fall where they may.

And throw Fasching on the 4th line RW. Young, fast, powerful right side. Centre spine of Eichel, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Larsson. Youth and talent down the middle.

Kane and Nylander (Foligno? Girgensons? Carrier?) on the left side. LW is where it would make the most sense to add, in the forward ranks.

But I agree, would like to see the youth prominent on next season's team. Moulson, Gionta, Deslauriers....in the minors or gone.

And throw Fasching on the 4th line RW. Young, fast, powerful right side. Centre spine of Eichel, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Larsson. Youth and talent down the middle.

Kane and Nylander (Foligno? Girgensons? Carrier?) on the left side. LW is where it would make the most sense to add, in the forward ranks.

But I agree, would like to see the youth prominent on next season's team. Moulson, Gionta, Deslauriers....in the minors or gone.

I started a lineup thread because of this discussion. Put Ennis in for Nylander for one more year and then go Ennis, Kane, Foligno and Carrier on the LW and you'd have something.

I started a lineup thread because of this discussion. Put Ennis in for Nylander for one more year and then go Ennis, Kane, Foligno and Carrier on the LW and you'd have something.

Whom do you plan to trade to Las Vegas for Ennis?

Whom do you plan to trade to Las Vegas for Ennis?

I think Moulson is going to LV. He helps get them to their floor this year and the cap floor next year with only $5 mill in actual salary for the 2 years. He'll easily out produce that outlay for a franchise that will be desperate for scoring initially.

I think Moulson is going to LV. He helps get them to their floor this year and the cap floor next year with only $5 mill in actual salary for the 2 years. He'll easily out produce that outlay for a franchise that will be desperate for scoring initially.

ilFsT33.gif

Sounds crazy?

Moulson had 32 pts last year. If he was a UFA he could command a salary around $3 mill. His salary next season is $3 mill and $2 mill next.

Did not know that.  He is a possibility for VGK.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.