Sabres Prospects 2016-17

Hoss

WNYer Al Iafallo scores gwg with 26 seconds left to give Minn Duluth a Frozen Four victory over Malone's Harvard squad. Malone played well and hit the post with seconds left to nearly tie the game.

Iafallo is a senior and I'd love to see him in Blue and Gold next season.

Denver D Will Butcher is likely going UFA after Colorado told him last year they weren't going to sign him according to Melrose. We could use a D with his skills.

Denver D Will Butcher is likely going UFA after Colorado told him last year they weren't going to sign him according to Melrose. We could use a D with his skills.

Talent Analysis

Butcher is a smart two-way defenseman. He has the ability to play the point on the power play and kill penalties but his talents lie in the offensive zone. While offensive play is his strength he is a responsible defender. For a player of his size and stature he plays a much bigger game.

Cal Petersen is done. Next couple of days will be huge. Does TM get him signed and in Buffalo?

Kris Baker was on WGR discussing this. He said the Sabres have done everything right but it would behoove Cal to become a free agent. It's probably the best for him and his career. If the Sabres are committed to Lehner and Ullmark, then he needs to find a situation where he can be closer to a NHL starter.

Cal Petersen and ND getting rocked in the other game. 5-0 Denver heading into the third.

He looked ready to play for us. Left out on an island with mediocre D who couldn't get the puck out of the zone and forwards who couldn't sustain puck possession in the attacking zone. Perfect.

Very few are sure fire prospects, especially goalies.  I have been encouraged by Lehner's season, however he is still relatively unproven and has a history of concussions.  Ullmark has also shown some flashes but is also unproven.  Having another guy with potential in the system would be very beneficial.

I remember when the Sabres thought they were all set in goal having Mika Nornen, Biron and Miller in the system.  Nornen and Biron were both picked in the first round, while Miller was a 5th rounder.  I remember the organization being much higher on the former two then the later.  My point is, yes this is not like losing Vesey, but I'm very hopeful he stays in the Sabres system.  You can never have too many promising goaltending prospects.

Very few are sure fire prospects, especially goalies.  I have been encouraged by Lehner's season, however he is still relatively unproven and has a history of concussions.  Ullmark has also shown some flashes but is also unproven.  Having another guy with potential in the system would be very beneficial.

I remember when the Sabres thought they were all set in goal having Mika Nornen, Biron and Miller in the system.  Nornen and Biron were both picked in the first round, while Miller was a 5th rounder.  I remember the organization being much higher on the former two then the later.  My point is, yes this is not like losing Vesey, but I'm very hopeful he stays in the Sabres system.  You can never have too many promising goaltending prospects.

I agree with everything except the last sentence. The organization knew that Miller was the one. There mistake was believing they could turn one of the other into other assets. They held them for too long and got nothing but mid round draft choices for them.

I agree with everything except the last sentence. The organization knew that Miller was the one. There mistake was believing they could turn one of the other into other assets. They held them for too long and got nothing but mid round draft choices for them.

Goalies never trade for much. Schneider was a legit starter and he went for 8th overall

Well, they got the 1st pick in the 2nd round for Marty, after years of high-end backup service from him.  But I think you're right about Mika.

Something that needs to be said. Petersen is a valuable asset, but he is by no means a sure fire prospect. I want them to sign him but it won't be like losing Vesey if they don't.

It would be a major bummer for him to bail on us. He's got a very high ceiling and everything he's done to this point at ND to become one of the best goalie prospects in hockey has been without a goalie coach. Petersen going to the AHL and working daily with a goalie coach and playing against professionals, he could quickly become the #1 goalie prospect in hockey.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.