Free Agency Frenzy 2016

Brawndo

The Bruins decide not to qualify Brett Connolly, former 4th overall pick. They traded two seconds for him a year and a half ago.

Wow what terrible management. They are competing with Avs level of suckitude.

Edited by inkman

Ducks not getting QOs are Brandon Pirri, Matt Bailey, Martin Gernat, Kevin Gagne and Charlie Sarault.

Pirri is an interesting one. There's a guy that had a 22 goal (and 2 assist!) season a couple years ago.

I would sign Pirri.

25 years old and was on track for a 40 point season last year

Although it worries me that with little over 150 NHL games he will be on his 4th NHL team Chi - Fla - Ana - Buf?

I think a fair bit, in general, not just in regards to Pirri, depends on Vesey, and that's why I hope that situation is resolved sooner rather than later. With Vesey, we have our top 6 LWs set in Kane and Vesey (and we could add ROR to that list if we happen to sign Stamkos). Without Vesey, there could be an opening there.

Girgensons is a wildcard as it's hard to say where he will slot in. Let's say for arguments sake our 3rd line stays the same as last year, Foligno - Larsson - Gionta. Girgensons would very likely (aside from injury) have to slot in as the 4C. Deslauriers - Girgs - Moulson. Girgensons could be that 2nd line LW with no Vesey, but if he isn't playing there, he could be a good trade candidate (as much as I like him).

So I think that 2nd line LW spot is down to Vesey, a potential FA, or Girgensons. IF Vesey signs, I don't think we bring any other forwards in. The possible exception being Stamkos. Signing Stamkos would probably bump Kane down to 3rd line LW, Foligno down to 4th, and Moulson to the bench.

If Vesey doesn't, well, we'll probably be looking for LW upgrades.

Edited by Thorny

I think a fair bit, in general, not just in regards to Pirri, depends on Vesey, and that's why I hope that situation is resolved sooner rather than later. With Vesey, we have our top 6 LWs set in Kane and Vesey (and we could add ROR to that list if we happen to sign Stamkos). Without Vesey, there could be an opening there.

Girgensons is a wildcard as it's hard to say where he will slot in. Let's say for arguments sake our 3rd line stays the same as last year, Foligno - Larsson - Gionta. Girgensons would very likely (aside from injury) have to slot in as the 4C. Deslauriers - Girgs - Moulson. Girgensons could be that 2nd line LW with no Vesey, but if he isn't playing there, he could be a good trade candidate (as much as I like him).

So I think that 2nd line LW spot is down to Vesey, a potential FA, or Girgensons. IF Vesey signs, I don't think we being anyone else in, with the possible exception of Stamkos. Signing Stamkos would probably bump Kane down to 3rd line LW, Foligno down to 4th, and Moulson to the bench.

True. But the current champions had Kessel on their 3rd line. Depth is important and I think on a cup team, Larsson, Foligno and Deslariers are on your 4th line. If not utility forwards. Its a shame all our older vets are basically useless, otherwise, we could be having some nice depth appear

True. But the current champions had Kessel on their 3rd line. Depth is important and I think on a cup team, Larsson, Foligno and Deslariers are on your 4th line. If not utility forwards. Its a shame all our older vets are basically useless, otherwise, we could be having some nice depth appear

Good point. I do think we are starting to achieve a level of forward depth, though. In my proposed lineup, assuming Vesey signs, I had Girgensons on the 4th line. Add Stamkos, and Kane (if here) is on the 3rd. Foligno - Girgensons - Deslauriers is a heck of a 4th line (and maybe too much so, re: $).

So I think that 2nd line LW spot is down to Vesey, a potential FA, or Girgensons. IF Vesey signs, I don't think we bring any other forwards in. The possible exception being Stamkos. Signing Stamkos would probably bump Kane down to 3rd line LW, Foligno down to 4th, and Moulson to the bench.

Let me start with I'm a big Kane fan, but

I think Kane should be on the 3rd line like Kassels in Pitt

a 3rd line with Kane, Foligno, and larson could be great... Kane will score 20 on any line. Get Foligno to start crashing the net and let Larson clean up! Put Girgensons with ROR and also use them as your 1st PK unit.  

I think Vesey would be a huge signing for us for the future (even bigger than Stamkos) due to the size of contract (it scares me)

ps my wife says size matters!!!

Good point. I do think we are starting to achieve a level of forward depth, though. In my proposed lineup, assuming Vesey signs, I had Girgensons on the 4th line. Add Stamkos, and Kane (if here) is on the 3rd. Foligno - Girgensons - Deslauriers is a heck of a 4th line (and maybe too much so, re: $).

But if they sign Vesey, the entire 2nd line (at least as pencilled in) is on an entry level deal for 2 more years (not pisitive on Vesey's age, he might end up on a 1 yr ELC). That provides a lot of room for other luxuries. (& hopefully some of the bottom 6 luxury can be converted into a top 2 D man or other such luxury).

I think Kane should be on the 3rd line like Kasselsin Pitt

a 3rd line with Kane, Foligno, and larson could be great... Kane will score 20 on any line. Get Foligno to start crashing the net and let Larson clean up! Put Girgensons with ROR and also use them as your 1st PK unit.

I think Vesey would be a huge signing for us for the future (even bigger than Stamkos) due to the size of contract (it scares me)

Apparently not a big Kessel fan :) Edited by inkman

But if they sign Vesey, the entire 2nd line (at least as pencilled in) is on an entry level deal for 2 more years (not pisitive on Vesey's age, he might end up on a 1 yr ELC). That provides a lot of room for other luxuries. (& hopefully some of the bottom 6 luxury can be converted into a top 2 D man or other such luxury).

Exactly. We'd be in a position to convert our abundance of second tier forwards into hopefully something on the defensive end.

To be honest, that potential Vesey - Eichel - Reinhart line is something I desperately want to see, for so many reasons. Sheltered second line minutes for those three combined talents, all on ELCs? Please sign here, Jimmy.

And I think Vesey would be signing a 2 year ELC, so it would finish up at the same time as Jack and Sam's.

I think Kane should be on the 3rd line like Kassels in Pitt

I completely agree with this. Also, your avatar is tremendous.

Connolly had 25pts in 71 games last year. He is 24yrs old. His AHL numbers are quite nice. I might pick him up just to stash him in Rochester or push for a spot on the bottom line here. At least bring him to camp for a tryout. 

Boston doesn't make sense to me. I don't understand the logic of the moves they have been making, Dougie Hamilton, Nick Leddy, the last 2 drafts, this might be way down on the list but it doesn't make a ton of sense. I guess they might not think he can be an NHL player but still seems odd. 

also here is an article about Boston... everyone seems to be raising eyebrows in their direction

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/06/27/bruins-letting-brett-connolly-enter-free-agency-raising-questions-about-asset-management/

Connolly had 25pts in 71 games last year. He is 24yrs old. His AHL numbers are quite nice. I might pick him up just to stash him in Rochester or push for a spot on the bottom line here. At least bring him to camp for a tryout. 

Boston doesn't make sense to me. I don't understand the logic of the moves they have been making, Dougie Hamilton, Nick Leddy, the last 2 drafts, this might be way down on the list but it doesn't make a ton of sense. I guess they might not think he can be an NHL player but still seems odd. 

also here is an article about Boston... everyone seems to be raising eyebrows in their direction

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/06/27/bruins-letting-brett-connolly-enter-free-agency-raising-questions-about-asset-management/

Two second round picks for someone who wasn't even good enough to play in the top six, and now non-tendered.  Unless they're trying to reduce his $$ to re-sign him by Friday, this is a terrible move.  But, hey, Frederic was a reach at 29, continues to prove the point: Neely shouldn't be the president of an NHL franchise and Sweeney is off his rocker. 

If they sign Lucic, I wonder if that greases the wheels for them finally trading one of their forwards.

Nah, who am I kidding, they'll talk about it a bunch more and do nothing.

Lucic - McDavid - Puljujarvi

Hall - Draisaitl - Maroon

Whatever - RNH - Eberle

Whatever - Spot for Nolan Patrick - Whatever

Trash - Junk

Garbage - Sekera

Poo (not Pu) - Demers