Free Agency Frenzy 2016

Brawndo

The feeling I'm getting based on the talk about RFA dmen is that Risto isn't viewed that highly around the league. Probably good news for us on his contract, though.

Interesting. Tangentially, one of my greatest fears is that Risto is more a #2 than a #1, more Seabrook than Keith. Not that a Seabrook-level defenseman is a bad thing, but I'm not sure he can be the best guy on a Cup winner.

The feeling I'm getting based on the talk about RFA dmen is that Risto isn't viewed that highly around the league. Probably good news for us on his contract, though.

That's....... Interesting. Underappreciated, or are we wrong about him?

Imo, offer sheets aren't used enough in this league. They definitely make things interesting. Just imagine if we let EDM take Vanek. Oh, we can only dream...

We go through this at least a couple of times every year.  Edmonton could have finished middle-of-the-pack with him those years.  We don't know.

Interesting. Tangentially, one of my greatest fears is that Risto is more a #2 than a #1, more Seabrook than Keith. Not that a Seabrook-level defenseman is a bad thing, but I'm not sure he can be the best guy on a Cup winner.

I certainly think he can be as good as Letang.

Presented without comment:

https://www.sny.tv/rangers/news/report-the-rangers-plan-to-talk-to-thomas-vanek-about-a-possible-one-year-deal/186437742

Now I have to comment because the link got chopped: Rangers talking to Vanek about a 1-year deal.

It's a good fit I think. Good luck to him, even if I never want to see him in the Blue and Gold again.

Wow what terrible management. They are competing with Avs level of suckitude.

Yeah, glorious, init?

Edited by Robin Egg

It will be interesting to see what type of contract he ends up with. He wasn't drafted by GMTM so we really don't know if he fits in his long term plan. He's not a fast skater, which hurts him in this system, that's one area he needs to improve is his explosiveness and top end speed.

I do too, but there's also a non-trivial possibility he falls short...and that is not a pretty picture for us.

There is also a non trivial possibility he gets hit by a moving truck. He is not Keith in any facet of his game, but neither was Lidstrom. I also think you under estimate the value of top end forwards and the effect they have on elevating dmen. Also you over value the Karlson's who actually who haven't been able to carry a team in the post season. Here are many ways to construct a winning d corps. Not all of them require a Norris winner, although that would be nice.

It will be interesting to see what type of contract he ends up with. He wasn't drafted by GMTM so we really don't know if he fits in his long term plan. He's not a fast skater, which hurts him in this system, that's one area he needs to improve is his explosiveness and top end speed.

Murray didn't draft Barrie either. Give it a rest.

Kane will score 20 on any line. Get Foligno to start crashing the net and let Larson clean up!

I love the Concept of that line.

DD will know his players better this year. I expect a much better chemistry out of the chute.

ps my wife says size matters!!!

Bummer. My condolences.

:w00t:

There is also a non trivial possibility he gets hit by a moving truck. He is not Keith in any facet of his game, but neither was Lidstrom. I also think you under estimate the value of top end forwards and the effect they have on elevating dmen. Also you over value the Karlson's who actually who haven't been able to carry a team in the post season. Here are many ways to construct a winning d corps. Not all of them require a Norris winner, although that would be nice.

Murray didn't draft Barrie either. Give it a rest.

I can't think of the last team to win the Cup without having a Norris-level defenseman. The 2009 Penguins?

And like many, you're making the mistake of judging the player on the accomplishments of the team. Are you really prepared to blame Karlsson for the Senators not going deep? Look at their roster!

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Maybe they think Trouba is the only one with a real chance of working? I'm pretty sure if I'm Winnipeg and somebody gives an offer sheet worth four 1st round picks, I'm taking the picks. Meanwhile, I'd match any offer for Risto or Lindolm.

Especially a team as awful as the Bruins will be the next few years.....

So if we don't land Stamkos it has essentially been my dream to offer sheet Hampus Lindholm (I doubt he can be had in a trade for value we can give).

This is a situation where I could see an issue coming up with Risto because an offer sheet for Lindholm would definitely make him more wealthy than Risto (as he should be), but it'd probably take $7.5M to have any chance at luring Lindholm away.

I can't think of the last team to win the Cup without having a Norris-level defenseman. The 2009 Penguins?

And like many, you're making the mistake of judging the player on the accomplishments of the team. Are you really prepared to blame Karlsson for the Senators not going deep? Look at their roster!

Letang wasn't Norris level this year. Good yes, but not I the discussion with Doughty and Karlsson. Winning a cup is a team accomplishment. The roster you site is devoid of elite offensive talent and a Norris winning defenseman couldn't make a difference. I point out that the Sabres will have elite offensive talent and may be able to win with a very good but not Norris level dmen like a Letang or Charra. Edited by 3putt

Letang wasn't Norris level this year. Good yes, but not I the discussion with Doughty and Karlsson. Winning a cup is a team accomplishment. The roster you site is devoid of elite offensive talent and a Norris winning defenseman couldn't make a difference. I point out that the Sabres will have elite offensive talent and may be able to win with a very good but not Norris level dmen like a Letang or Charra.

Letang was absolutely Norris level this year--he finished 4th in the voting. 

Edit: This Pens team is the only one I can remember winning with a questionable blue line--behind Letang it was really shaky. Even the 2009 Pens, which lacked a Norris-level defender, was really stacked 1-4. Hell even most runners up have either a Norris caliber defender or superb 1-4 depth. So yes, you can win without it...but it's certainly more challenging.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Edit: This Pens team is the only one I can remember winning with a questionable blue line--behind Letang it was really shaky. Even the 2009 Pens, which lacked a Norris-level defender, was really stacked 1-4. Hell even most runners up have either a Norris caliber defender or superb 1-4 depth. So yes, you can win without it...but it's certainly more challenging.

The Bruins won with Charra being the top guy. It can be done, that is all.

I agree we need to hope Ristlainen gets up to around Letang's level. I think he can.

The good thing is, their top LHD in the final was Dumolin. Kulikov was better than Dumolin this season. Not saying anything here.

But just sayin'.