RD 3, Pick 69: Cliff Pu, C/RW

Hoss

Article from April: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/prospect-need-to-know-cliff-pu-is-making-london-a-nightmare/

Cliff Pu, C – London Knights (OHL): It’s hard enough to face London in a series when you know you’ll have to deal with the trio of Mitch Marner, Christian Dvorak and Matthew Tkachuk. But as Owen Sound and Kitchener both found out in the OHL playoffs, you can’t sleep on Pu, either. The second-line center has seven goals and a helper through 10 playoff games, carrying some great momentum in his draft year.

Acquired from Oshawa in the Michael McCarron trade, Pu entered his second OHL season with some uncertainty. The Knights had once again loaded up on talent, with Tkachuk, Max Jones, Kole Sherwood and J.J. Piccinich all new arrivals to the forward corps. Where did he fit in to coach Dale Hunter’s plans?

“I honestly couldn’t tell you,” Pu said. “My agent told me to trust Dale, he’ll play you if you play well and Dale has rewarded me. I’ve played on the second line almost all year, so it’s been real fun.”

A fast player with nice vision and good size, Pu looks to Jeff Carter as an NHL role model and the youngster has been a high-rising prospect thanks to his second half, which saw him tally eight points in his final eight regular season games.

“I like to use my speed and find my teammates,” he said. “But it’s all about the team and whatever I need to do, I’m down for it.”

Pu still wants to round out his game, but in the meantime he has become a fan favorite in London. During the playoffs, the crowd has started chanting “Puuuuuu” when he gets the puck, just like NHL fans have chanted “Luuuu” for Roberto Luongo.

“At first I didn’t know they were doing it,” Pu said. “(goalie) Emanuel Vella told me after one of the games and by the last game of the Owen Sound series I started hearing it a lot. It’s pretty funny – and it’s better than them booing, so it’s all fun and games.”

Edited by Robviously

What a crap pick. You have the 2nd highest scorer on defense in the OHL and you don't go after him but sit firm for a guy with what? 31 points in his 2nd ohl year. Garbage. ###### garbage

Murray never was going to select Dineen.  I don't think he likes defensemen that are under 6'0.

May he become a Sabre. And may Jeanneret be still around to exclaim: "The backhand saucer pass! Number nine! Number nine! The puuuuuu puuuuuu platter!!!!!!!!"

We are quickly entering that phase of what I call the "who" part of the draft?  Pu?  Who?

Thanks for your honesty. We're also entering that phase where fans who know even less than they did yesterday have to express an opinion.

May he become a Sabre. And may Jeanneret be still around to exclaim: "The backhand saucer pass! Number nine! Number nine! The puuuuuu puuuuuu platter!!!!!!!!"

Thanks for your honesty. We're also entering that phase where fans who know even less than they did yesterday have to express an opinion.

Ya, we can't really know with these guys.

And from the article. ' Don't sleep on Pu'. :blink:      Shitt the bed much ? 

Not sure he'll pass the smell test.

o.k. its out of my system.

I won't joke about the name til he makes the team. Certainly not to his face.

or the shitt might hit the fan.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.