RD 3, Pick 69: Cliff Pu, C/RW

Hoss

Good Analysis, I would expect Pu to become an over a point per game producer for the Knights this season with a shot of hitting 90 points on the season. He scored at a rate of .49PPG in regular season and was able to increase his production to .72PPG in the playoffs. The important thing to remember is that he didn't get anytime of the vaunted London Power Play last season. Assuming he is on the PP for the 16/17 season we should see his stats take off.

I'll be disappointed if his jump in production isn't significant barring injury and, somehow, not getting an expanded role. Last offseason he worked heavily on his skating and gaining speed which turned into results. He was blowing by defenders and getting to the net with the puck consistently. With expanded ice time he should be expected to do the same and see the jump in production we expect.

As much of a good skater as he is it's his hockey IQ that excites me. He's got a good pair of hands and always seems to be aware where his teammates are on the ice. Plenty of tight drop passes and passes through the gap in defenders. Smart kid.

One young writer thinks Pu is among the draft's better value picks:

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-prospects/four-best-value-picks-nhl-draft/

CLIFF PU (CENTER/RIGHT WING) — BUFFALO SABRES, 69TH OVERALL

A member of the London Knights’ Memorial Cup-winning squad, Pu’s stock rose throughout the season as his playing time increased. His point totals weren’t overly impressive for a player in his first draft-eligible year, but look at it in context — his ice time wasn’t as high as many of his peers due to how stacked the Knights were up front this season.

Still, Pu made the most of the ice time he did have, particularly in the latter half of the season as he played with the draft-eligible Max Jones, and the Sabres took notice. Pu will add to their ever-growing crop of forward prospects, and after a couple more years development in the OHL, expect to see him slotting in alongside someone like Jack Eichel

Thanks for this link. That kid has some wheels, and it isn't just straight line speed.

You're right. He flies all over.

I can hear RJ now. "Pu is all over the ice tonight."

(He also said this about the team during the tank)

You're right. He flies all over.

I can hear RJ now. "Pu is all over the ice tonight."

(He also said this about the team during the tank)

Glad to know he won't be around for any tank references. Poor kid would have been taking a lot of crap.

These jokes never get old.  Well played gentlemen.....

I remember the deal between Oshawa and London to acquire McCarron and Mermis.  Cliff Pu was the centerpiece of the trade going back to London.  Saw him a couple of times live but didn't notice him much.  That was his first few games ever in the OHL so won't put much stock in first observations.  He sure didn't put up many points thus far in the OHL but hopefully that's a result of him playing second fiddle to the stars.  This will be a big year for his development and hoping he can jump to atleast a point per game being on a top line with Knights this year.  London is always a great spot to be development wise.

"Wow, Chara just flung Pu into the boards. Oh, Pu is steaming! He goes right back at Chara and Rask comes in from behind and dumps Pu on the ice!"

Thanks for giving me a desperately needed laugh today!  :thumbsup:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.