Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

nfreeman, on 08 Jul 2016 - 1:11 PM, said:

Even in that case though they couldn't give him an extension until there is only 1 season left on his contract.

Okay.  If that's true, it doesn't really change the theory.

But if there were really no change in their thinking, why wouldn't the agent just reiterate what he's been saying all along -- i.e. "we had a great meeting with the Sabres, we appreciate their interest and Jimmy will strongly consider them on Aug. 15, but we are going to stick to our plan of waiting until Aug. 15 and considering all options?"

Isn't the ELC a 3-year deal? 

Bingo

You don't give up something of value for the exclusive rights to something only to turn around and give them away.  This situation isn't analogous to letting your to defensive coordinator interview for a head coaching job before his contract is up.

If he interviews with, I don't know, the Columbus Blue Jackets, and decides that NO MATTER WHAT he's going there, GMTM might want to know that sooner rather than later.  Assuming that he is sincere when he says he's waiting to talk with other teams and absolutely won't sign until he does, there's no downside in allowing him to do it now.

Bullcrap.

We own the window. If he's not making a decision till Aug 15th so be it. Other teams will have to line up one by one for their first interview vs only knowing our world. Why let him get comfortable with anyone else before that date. The other teams are going to want a quick decision after Aug 15th. That is our advantage. Keep it They will be impatient with him while we have exercised extreme patience. 

If we're going after Rick Nash he'll still be there Aug 15th. If's he's not and we miss out, we miss out.

If a Fowler or Barrie deal requires a winger they want from us but we would like to wait to know what Vesey does, GMTM pulls the trigger on the deal regardless of the date.

You don't give up something of value for the exclusive rights to something only to turn around and give them away.  This situation isn't analogous to letting your to defensive coordinator interview for a head coaching job before his contract is up.

You're not necessarily giving them away. You're getting back a clearer picture of your future a month before you would otherwise.

Bullcrap.

We own the window. If he's not making a decision till Aug 15th so be it. Other teams will have to line up one by one for their first interview vs only knowing our world. Why let him get comfortable with anyone else before that date. The other teams are going to want a quick decision after Aug 15th. That is our advantage. Keep it They will be impatient with him while we have exercised extreme patience. 

If we're going after Rick Nash he'll still be there Aug 15th. If's he's not and we miss out, we miss out.

If a Fowler or Barrie deal requires a winger they want from us but we would like to wait to know what Vesey does, GMTM pulls the trigger on the deal regardless of the date.

Per the bold text, I agree entirely. The Sabres would be foolish to let any potential other dealings revolve around signing Vesey. The assumption has to be he won't sign with us. I trust GMTM is smart enough to realize that. 

As to letting Vesey talk to other teams, there may be some advantages to that, depending on what was discussed at yesterday's meeting. I think it's a bit more nuanced than good idea vs. bad idea when there are pros and cons to be considered. 

GO SABRES!!!

I think folks might be overestimating the value of a "clearer picture of the future" when we're talking about like, one off season month.

We can debate whether Vesey's exclusive rights until Aug. 15 is an asset of value, but what there is no debate over is whether GMTM thinks Vesey's exclusive rights has value.

IMO there isn't a universe where he voluntarily abandons an asset of value.

Not according to my source who knew him well.  Nothing fake about GMTM's public persona at all. WYSIWYG

I don't mean to suggest GMTM's public persona is fake. Just that he is a lot more personable, even more comfortable, at other aspects of his job than the one that mandates dealing with the media. I've heard from various people in the building that he's the life of the party at times, too. To me, that stands in contrast to his (often) uncomfortable demeanor at pressers, etc. 

GO SABRES!!!

I want him to sign here but I don't believe a top 6 role should be just given to any and I mean any player without earning it. This kid hasn't proven anything yet. Yes he won the honey baker and played in the worlds but that still doesn't translate to success at the NHL level. If he signs in Toronto then we know his father makes his decisions for him. Any other team then it's his preference on who he wants to skate with. The only thing I don't like about this situation is giving a kid a top 6 spot when other deals need to be made.

I want him to sign here but I don't believe a top 6 role should be just given to any and I mean any player without earning it. This kid hasn't proven anything yet. Yes he won the honey baker and played in the worlds but that still doesn't translate to success at the NHL level. If he signs in Toronto then we know his father makes his decisions for him. Any other team then it's his preference on who he wants to skate with. The only thing I don't like about this situation is giving a kid a top 6 spot when other deals need to be made.

What other deals?

This narrative that Murray is waiting to find out about Vesey is bad too. When had murray ever hesitated to execute a trade? If he thinKS it makes Buffalo better, he'll do it. Losing 1 or 2 lw wings doesn't really hurt us.

Rest easy SabresBillsFan - there is zero indication that anybody has demanded or offered a top 6 spot.  That is just something that some people here made up a while back.  I'm sure that if he signs he'll have to compete for a spot just like everyone else.

Rest easy SabresBillsFan - there is zero indication that anybody has demanded or offered a top 6 spot.  That is just something that some people here made up a while back.  I'm sure that if he signs he'll have to compete for a spot just like everyone else.

Heck, dont understand why a top 6 spot is key, look what Vanek got as a RFA by playing on the 3rd line.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.