Ristolainen Signed, 6yrs 5.4mil per

LGR4GM

From McKenzie

As best we can tell, Ristolainen and Lindholm are no longer seeking north of $6 million a year and perhaps open to something in the $5 million to $6 million range, with an obvious preference for the higher side of that million-dollar range, no less than $5.5 million.

But it appears Buffalo and Anaheim want to toe closer to the Rielly deal of $5 million, which might suggest the two defencemen are perhaps at least $500,000 a year apart from their clubs. On a six-year deal, that's a $3 million swing.

This is where I'm glad we have a GM who is willing to play the contract game. As the pressure to sign grows as the season nears, the party who blinks first loses their contract demands. Every dollar we are able to save on Risto's contract allows us to be a better team for the entirety of that contract. 

And the end of the day, does it really matter if we sign Risto on 10/1 or 10/13? He's been practicing so he's not losing training time.

From McKenzie

As best we can tell, Ristolainen and Lindholm are no longer seeking north of $6 million a year and perhaps open to something in the $5 million to $6 million range, with an obvious preference for the higher side of that million-dollar range, no less than $5.5 million.

But it appears Buffalo and Anaheim want to toe closer to the Rielly deal of $5 million, which might suggest the two defencemen are perhaps at least $500,000 a year apart from their clubs. On a six-year deal, that's a $3 million swing.

This'll get done, and my guess is for about Jones' $5.4 million.

Now, everyone accusing Murray of being unreasonable can apologize, since obviously Risto's camp was the unreasonable one. Apologize to Timmy! :p

This is where I'm glad we have a GM who is willing to play the contract game. As the pressure to sign grows as the season nears, the party who blinks first loses their contract demands. Every dollar we are able to save on Risto's contract allows us to be a better team for the entirety of that contract. 

And the end of the day, does it really matter if we sign Risto on 10/1 or 10/13? He's been practicing so he's not losing training time.

Murray might not actually blink in real life.

Rasmus Ristolainen hasn't trained with Sabres since Thursday. Is not coming back until new contract is done. Might take a while.

From the Finnish NHL correspondent.

Also saying Risto wants over $6mill and the team is close to $5mill.

Edited by Hoss

Rasmus Ristolainen hasn't trained with Sabres since Thursday. Is not coming back until new contract is done. Might take a while.

Ya that's on Risto then.  Too many comparables supporting $5 to $5.5 per.  I assumed he would stop training with the team at some point soon.

If true... now we can panic.

Wtf!? He's not at 6mil plus after all the comparables are examined. Ik we tossed that around this summer but after all was said and done 5.5 seemed like the max. I feel bad cuz I thought about 6mil this summer but no just no.

Pulling out of camp is entirely predictable and planned.

The Finnish report is a couple days old if you believe McKenzie.

Risto's agent is doing what he can, but his client wants to play.

He will probably be in the lineup o opening night and certainly soon after, at around $5.5 per.

I'd give him $6 million if we could lock him up for 8 years. At this point I think they should just go for the bridge deal though and make sure it ends while he's still an RFA.

The scary thing to me about a bridge deal is that we have both Sam and Eichel coming up around the time that the bridge deal would be up, and they're both looking at BIG money. So if we have to do both of them PLUS a number one d-man at the same time...

I don't understand the fear of losing him as a UFA. The aren't your Golisano Sabres. We're good, we'll pay, he'll stay. A 6 year deal is not only fine, but the market standard right now.

The risk isn't necessarily losing him but turning into the Blackhawks without the Cups. Say Ristolainen becomes a bonafide #1 after a bridge deal and we pay him the going rate for a top guy and that's fine, but we can't really count on Eichel or Reinhart signing sweetheart deals either and we end up spending close to half our salary cap on 4 players (Eichel, Reinhart, O'Reilly, and Ristolainen). At that point you have another few guys signed up to moderate deals (Okposo, maybe Kulikov, and Bogosian) and you're left having to fill out the rest of the roster with ELC's and guys playing for near the veteran minimum. That gets harder and harder to do as you deplete your cupboard or prospects and picks at the deadline in order to ramp up for a playoff push every year.

It may not happen that way, but that's certainly the fear, at least for me. Especially when you consider most of the cup winners are still relying on super long or back diving contracts that aren't even allowed today.

Edited by Drunkard

Ristolainen wants a six year deal worth a little over 6 million and the team is offering closer to 5 mil. It seems that Risto wants to play but his agent has advised him to sit out until the new deal. Not good for anyone.

I think he's worth that and he should stand firm until he gets it.

Ristolainen wants a six year deal worth a little over 6 million and the team is offering closer to 5 mil. It seems that Risto wants to play but his agent has advised him to sit out until the new deal. Not good for anyone.

Well, he can't play until a contract gets signed. So....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.