DLDT: Draft Lottery Discussion Thread, 4-30-2016, 8:00pm est

WildCard

I think there are two "wins" for Toronto's rebuild:

1) They were able to shed all of their horrid contracts without retaining salary, Phaneuf and Clarkson chief among them. I'm still amazed they pulled that off. All of their remaining subpar contracts are off the books in two years--pretty perfect for their timeline. Their only long term "negative" obligation is the salary retained on Kessel, which at $1.2M, isn't crippling. We're in a similar spot, but we're ahead in our development and should contend sooner, so the bad contracts we have for the next two years are more of an issue. And then there's Moulson  :sick:

2) They have accumulated drafted talent from before they were actually tanking. Kadri #7 overall, Rielly #5 overall, and Nylander #8 overall were the results of incompetence, but will contribute in a big way going forward. Our 1st round picks from the three pre-tank drafts are Grigorenko, Girgensons, Armia, and Pysyk. Granted, Grigorenko and Armia were used as parts of deals to bring in ROR, Kane, Bogo which obviously has to be accounted for...but on the draft picks themselves, advantage Toronto.

That said, Toronto still has to make a hockey trade or two to flip assets into players, so I'll be curious to see who/what goes out and what comes in. I'll be pretty surprised if they go the Edmonton route and hope everything just grows together without a big more or two.

F@#k Toronto and the Laffs

This is a perfect first post.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Yes because the lap dogs at the NHL also pay lip service to the whiny canadian media. Like chalk on a wall, listening to their inferiority complex and ad nauseum justification for why their shiite tank is justifiable because the sprayed it with perfume just grates on me. About the same as Boston Sox fans are about the Yankees.... guess I shouldnt care, Yankee fans dont, but the Cindy Crosby styled whining of Laffs fans and media is truly a disgrace to Canada and should be beneath them. Pathetic.

Toronto already did that this past season, named Garrett Sparks.

Don't forget, they were also using Mark Arcobello, he of Coyotes tank fame!

Much hilarity here . Many of you good folks consider some friends . To the ones wishing personal injury what total classless weenies you are

Thanks for calling it out.  Even in jest it shouldn't be said.  Wishing blood clots to end careers, and breaking ankles, knees, etc.  It's absurd.  

I'm also laughing at all the references to Canadian/Toronto media and their commentary.  Who cares what a bunch of tools say?

This thread almost went the way I expected.. but I thought it would be better.  Oh well. 

Congratulations to Toronto.  They've still sucked far longer than the Sabres.  The idea that this one win fixes their problems is intriguing.  They'll find a way to screw this up.  They've screwed up everything for the past 49 years right?  Isn't next year the 50th anniversary of their last Cup appearance?

If we look at Jack for what he really is, a 1st overall, Reinhart for where we would've picked him if we won the lottery, 1st overall, and we look at the picks and other prospects we got for previous vets, I think its obvious we win. Phaneuf and Kessel didn't fetch nearly as much as our old core did

I don't know man.  If you consider Reinhart and Eichel vs. Mathews then sure we win.  But as Blue said, when you add in Marner, Nylander and Reilly I still think we have the better drafted core.....but it's not a run away.

I don't know man.  If you consider Reinhart and Eichel vs. Mathews then sure we win.  But as Blue said, when you add in Marner, Nylander and Reilly I still think we have the better drafted core.....but it's not a run away.

Oh I know. I've been arguing they're in the same spot we are for the last couple pages. I'm just saying as far as tanking goes, we did it better

Thanks for calling it out.  Even in jest it shouldn't be said.  Wishing blood clots to end careers, and breaking ankles, knees, etc.  It's absurd.  

I'm also laughing at all the references to Canadian/Toronto media and their commentary.  Who cares what a bunch of tools say?

This thread almost went the way I expected.. but I thought it would be better.  Oh well. 

Congratulations to Toronto.  They've still sucked far longer than the Sabres.  The idea that this one win fixes their problems is intriguing.  They'll find a way to screw this up.  They've screwed up everything for the past 49 years right?  Isn't next year the 50th anniversary of their last Cup appearance?

I disagree fervently.  If we're not allowed to go on absurd emotional rants as sports fans, then we might as well stop caring about anything.  Everyone certainly aught to know Blue wasn't wishing harm on Stamkos.

There isn't a single solitary reason to connect the current regime to those past failures. Literally everything they've done and are doing points to them being really sharp.

I disagree fervently.  If we're not allowed to go on absurd emotional rants as sports fans, then we might as well stop caring about anything.  Everyone certainly aught to know Blue wasn't wishing harm on Stamkos.

Seriously. Irrational and unreasonable emotions are the heart and soul of sports fandom. As for my comments about Stamkos, I thought the tone of my post was awfully clear...apparently not? :unsure:

This will all come down to Stamkos decision. If he goes to Toronto and they already have their haul (with Babcock), they will be jump ahead of us as Toronto will then be labeled as a destination spot for Future FAs.

You know I hear stuff like this a lot and I have almost never seen it play out. The only "destination" I really hear players talk about and want to go to is the Rangers because they are a good team in NYC. 

Also adding Stamkos along with the other stuff they need will put them close to the cap. Chicago could be a place some players would be happy to play in but they don't have the cap room. I think we should keep it in mind that the cap makes it harder for "destinations" to be where everyone ends up.

As for my comments about Stamkos, I thought the tone of my post was awfully clear

Crystal.

e8b21084b6326c2b4a13746c7e677643.jpg

Well, precisely.

I think there are two "wins" for Toronto's rebuild:

1) They were able to shed all of their horrid contracts without retaining salary, Phaneuf and Clarkson chief among them. I'm still amazed they pulled that off. All of their remaining subpar contracts are off the books in two years--pretty perfect for their timeline. Their only long term "negative" obligation is the salary retained on Kessel, which at $1.2M, isn't crippling. We're in a similar spot, but we're ahead in our development and should contend sooner, so the bad contracts we have for the next two years are more of an issue. And then there's Moulson  :sick:

2) They have accumulated drafted talent from before they were actually tanking. Kadri #7 overall, Rielly #5 overall, and Nylander #8 overall were the results of incompetence, but will contribute in a big way going forward. Our 1st round picks from the three pre-tank drafts are Grigorenko, Girgensons, Armia, and Pysyk. Granted, Grigorenko and Armia were used as parts of deals to bring in ROR, Kane, Bogo which obviously has to be accounted for...but on the draft picks themselves, advantage Toronto.

That said, Toronto still has to make a hockey trade or two to flip assets into players, so I'll be curious to see who/what goes out and what comes in. I'll be pretty surprised if they go the Edmonton route and hope everything just grows together without a big more or two.

This is a perfect first post.

But that requires adding Risto and Zadorov to the list, which by extension adds ROR. The Sabres are fine in that regard. I also think the size factor plays in our favor. Jack, Hudson, Bailey, Girgs, Kane, Bigger stronger athletes. Marner will need protection ala pkane. Nylander as well. Different styles of rosters.

Just taking a quick glance at the Leaf's recent hall of picks, all of them without exception are smaller than their Sabre counterpart.  Kadri is smaller than ROR, Nylander/Marner are smaller than Reinhart/Eichel, Rielly is smaller than Risto.  Even adding in Matthews and putting him on par with Jack's size they are a smaller team. Does this matter? Well considering how I have seen the NHL trend and how badly manhandled the smaller previous versions of the Sabres were, I think it might over the course of a 7 game series. We aren't talking like 5lbs and an inch. We are talking that most of these guys are 2 inches or more shorter and anywhere from 15lbs to 30lbs lighter. It will be interesting to see if this does indeed have an effect. 

Marner: 5'11" / 164lbs

Nylander: 5'11" / 174lbs 

Kadri: 6' / 188lbs

Matthews: 6'2" / 195lbs

Rielly: 6'1" / 205lbs

Reinhart: 6'1" / 190lbs

Kane: 6'2" / 204lbs

ROR: 6'1" / 201lbs

Eichel: 6'2" / 201lbs

Ristolainen: 6'4" / 207lbs 

Edited by LGR4GM

One of the smallest and least physical teams in the league is the modern dynasty. One of the largest and most physical teams is the only other franchise to win multiple Cups post-2005. I honestly don't think it matters either way, it's all just a personal style preference.

I hope Toronto gets Stamkos so he can screw their cap situation. I may be wrong but I don't believe Stamkos is half the player he used to be. I would rather be able to keep all of Sam, Jack, Risto, McCabe, Zach, Kane, ROR, and Gus. All those guys make major scratch or are in line to do so. Fill in the rest with trades and youngins.

I hope Toronto gets Stamkos so he can screw their cap situation. I may be wrong but I don't believe Stamkos is half the player he used to be. I would rather be able to keep all of Sam, Jack, Risto, McCabe, Zach, Kane, ROR, and Gus. All those guys make major scratch or are in line to do so. Fill in the rest with trades and youngins.

I'm really hoping they get Stamkos and Laine and Matthews goes elsewhere. About a 5% chance of it happening, but I can dream

I'm really hoping they get Stamkos and Laine and Matthews goes elsewhere. About a 5% chance of it happening, but I can dream

Jeremy White touched on this in the morning show, and I agree....I really really want to like Matthews, but liking him while he plays for Toronto is going to be pretty tough. How do I pull this off? Is it possible to hate a player for 47 months and like them for 1 month?

Jeremy White touched on this in the morning show, and I agree....I really really want to like Matthews, but liking him while he plays for Toronto is going to be pretty tough. How do I pull this off? Is it possible to hate a player for 47 months and like them for 1 month?

47 months?

I can't like anyone on Toronto. It would have killed me to see McDavid up there

47 months?

I can't like anyone on Toronto. It would have killed me to see McDavid up there

Time between Olympics. It's probably more accurately like 47.5 months...but anyway, I should probably include include World Cup, but since neither Jack nor Matthews are eligible for a bit (the age rule is unbelievably stupid), I'll ignore it for now.

Time between Olympics. It's probably more accurately like 47.5 months...but anyway, I should probably include include World Cup, but since neither Jack nor Matthews are eligible for a bit (the age rule is unbelievably stupid), I'll ignore it for now.

Ah I was thinking contract status. I won't like him, but I'll tolerate him in RWB, kinda like Kessel. Even on USA there'll be the million Eichel comparisons, so it'll be just me rooting for Jack to out produce him

I think I'd rather have Matthews go to Toronto than Laine + Stamkos. I think he'd do less damage. I'm not at Pi-level distaste of Auston, but I'm not nearly as high on him as most of the internet. 

I'm also a little higher on Laine than most of the internet. That shot Ovechkin had tonight, Laine is one of the few people in the world that can do that.

I have the perhaps unfair impression that Matthews is a little too hard on himself for his own good sometimes, a bit more brittle in the self-confidence area than his success should make him.

If I am right, I feel so sorry for the kid. The Toronto fan base has almost elevated him to McDavid/Crosby status already. If he has a start like Eichel's - which was pretty damn good for an 18-year-old - that market might have him on suicide watch by Christmas. If he starts like Barkov, or Draisaitl, or Reinhart, or Drouin, the damage could be long-term.

Maybe I am exaggerating but I wouldn't want my 20-year-old anywhere near that, never mind my 17-year-old.

Babcock is going to have to lock that boy in a bubble.

Watching the hype, I am reversing my position on Matthews improving the appeal of Toronto to Stamkos.

How anyone could watch that then willingly step in to be the messiah for that needy bunch is beyond me.

Babcock has the biggest stones in the world.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.