UFA College Defenseman Casey Nelson signs with Sabres

inkman

As I said, this is a good sign. In years past the Sabres have gotten the second level college free agents. This guy is apparently one of the top guys. Ninety percent of these guys turn out to be fringe NHL'ers but everyone once and awhile you find a Dan DeKeyser.

Edited by tom webster

If he was left handed this would be such a perfect signing.  However, it just furthers Franson's stay out the window.  I think once he's healthy he's out.  While I could be completely wrong.  I don't think you burn a year on an ELC with a college senior unless you're looking at him for at least a bottom pairing role.

Bump.

I'm excited to see any Defender added but I'll be curious to see if this kid is good enough for the NHL. I feel like he needs to add strength of he's only 6'2" 182lbs

That's hard for me to believe in his early 20's. I assumed it is from his high school year and not up dated.

Somehow I doubt he knew anything about Sabres management if he didn't even know how to spell 'Sabres' in the first place.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-rookies-hudson-fasching-casey-nelson-ready-for-nhl-careers/

Thanks for the link.

One game in, everyone's in love with Fasching.  Nelson was kind of anonymous out there.  He got on the scoring sheet on Fasching's goal.  I saw a couple of gaffs that didn't result in goals.  Nelson was on the ice for the second WPG goal but if you had to pin it on anyone it seemed the Pysyk fell a half step behind his check and let him in on goal.  Still though, I didn't see anything out of Nelson that impressed or disappointed; it was more than he survived his first game.  I think you're a little more in the spotlight on defense in that mistakes end up in the back of your goal.  Hopefully with more time in practice he'll become more comfortable and we'll get a better feel for his game. 

At 6-2, 182 lb., I hope he works out like Broheim over the summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzAWW23pyZ0

Edited by Robin Egg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.