Steven Stamkos stays in Tampa Bay, 8.5mil x 8yrs

LGR4GM

Stamkos' show me the money poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How much $$$$$ will Stamkos get per year?

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more
  2. 2. How much $$$$$ would YOU pay Stamkos per year? It is safe to assume he gets max deal of 7 years.

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more

But they were bounced out of round 1 in the first year of the Toews and Kane mega deals, in part because they couldn't afford to pay a 4th viable defenseman, and don't look to have any viable avenue for improvement this offseason.

You're talking losing game 7 against St. Louis by 1 goal? Is that why you do not pay a premium for players like Toews and Kane. Is this suggesting that if they had a better fourth defenseman they get one more goal against St. Louis? And again even if you go along with all of that, perhaps they would have had a better fourth defenseman if they hadn't traded Daley for Scuderi. 

Well yea, me too. I just don't think what they did is all too applicable here.

You may be my favorite poster on this site TrueBlue, but I cannot disagree more with you here. Kane, Toews, and Keith even with their contracts keep that team in contention year after year. 

You're talking losing game 7 against St. Louis by 1 goal? Is that why you do not pay a premium for players like Toews and Kane. Is this suggesting that if they had a better fourth defenseman they get one more goal against St. Louis? And again even if you go along with all of that, perhaps they would have had a better fourth defenseman if they hadn't traded Daley for Scuderi.

You may be my favorite poster on this site TrueBlue, but I cannot disagree more with you here. Kane, Toews, and Keith even with their contracts keep that team in contention year after year.

It's okay, the makeup sex will be spectacular.

Really though, I don't disagree they'll be in the mix until/unless the wheels come off Keith and Seabrook, but they have Keith and Hossa on contracts which literally cannot be duplicated by us, and they're still having major league problems rounding out the roster appropriately. That's not to say they should have let Kane or Toews walk, but I don't think it's right to pretend there isn't a very real downside to paying Stamkos $12 million.

My hard cap for Stamkos is 10.5

I hope 10 can get it done, but I'm not optimistic.

My long term lines:

Vesey-Eichel-O'Reilly

Stamkos-Samson-Ennis

Kane-Larsson-Girgensons

Foligno-xxx-Gionta

Spares: Deslauriers, Moulson

I'm pretty sure O'Reilly and Ennis are both LWs, but that's the best I could do with our LW overload. You can have Stamkos play center until Sam is ready to take over there.

It seems like TM would have to make another move or two to balance out the forward ranks if Vesey and Stamkos are signed.

My long term lines:

Vesey-Eichel-O'Reilly

Stamkos-Samson-Ennis

Kane-Larsson-Girgensons

Foligno-xxx-Gionta

I'm pretty sure O'Reilly and Ennis are both LWs, but that's the best I could do with our LW overload. You can have Stamkos play center until Sam is ready to take over there.

It seems like TM would have to make another move or two to balance out the forward ranks if Vesey and Stamkos are signed.

Just switch Ennis and Stamkos, as Stamkos would play the RW as a right handed shot. 

My long term lines:

Vesey-Eichel-O'Reilly

Stamkos-Samson-Ennis

Kane-Larsson-Girgensons

Foligno-xxx-Gionta

Just switch Ennis and Stamkos, as Stamkos would play the RW as a right handed shot. 

And re-sign Legwand to a 1 year deal and play him at 4th line center. 

Stamkos may not like playing on the wing though. 

Angle to the net and one timer opportunities are better on the off-wing, since you'd be bringing in Stamkos to score I think that'd matter.

This was my thinking as well because Stamkos likes playing on the left side on the PP.

But his regular shift spot may very well be on the RW side of he's not at center, who knows.

I'd be willing to give Stamkos 4x12mil, but every year longer I'd subtract 1mil so 5x11, 6x10, 7x9

Mainly because we could make it work if the cap goes up to 73mil

Foligno gets 3x2.35

Girgs gets 2x2.5

Risto gets 6x5.5

Vesey gets 2x975k(ELC numbers?)

McCabe gets 3x1.55

Nelson gets 2x1.25

We'd have 1mil in space left, trading Ennis and/or Franson would free up to 8mil in cap space

Angle to the net and one timer opportunities are better on the off-wing, since you'd be bringing in Stamkos to score I think that'd matter.

Yes , but there's a reason more left shot wingers play on the left side, and right shot wingers on the right side: their stick then is facing open to their centremen - easier to receive passes.

This is one of those things where plenty still play on the offhand. It's not a huge deal. But more often than not wingers are playing on the "on hand" wing.

I was more responding to how qwk said we had a LW overload, in that Stamkos would be the perfect option to play on the right, opening up a LW spot. Also, I think when he played wing in Tampa, it was on the right.

Not sure I'm on board paying Stamkos what I think he'll get if he leaves Tampa. He is a great player but he is not a guarantee to bring us to the promised land. I was all in on giving ROR what we did but Stamkos I think we can build around what we have without tying ourselves up financially. If we hadn't made the moves we did last year I may say go for it.

MAX DEAL, bring him in, give him whatever he wants. Greatest UFA of all time, you don't hold anything back. Win a Cup in a few years, then worry about the cap implications.

No hockey player is worth a max deal, if you mean it in the literal sense.

I hear you Thorny, but lots of snipers like to play on their off-wings. Vanek and Neal come readily to mind.

Some do, sure. But lots? I demand a master list!

MAX DEAL, bring him in, give him whatever he wants.   Greatest UFA of all time, you don't hold anything back.   Win a Cup in a few years, then worry about the cap implications.

I was looking forward to agreeing with you on something........still looking forward to that.

If we do go after and sign Stamkos I imagine we dangle Evander Kane pretty hard for a left-handed dman.

He's the definition of expendable with value, either down the road or for Stamps now

Is Stamkos really the greatest UFA in NHL history? That seems like a stretch, though I may be taking it literally

He's the definition of expendable with value, either down the road or for Stamps now

Is Stamkos really the greatest UFA in NHL history? That seems like a stretch, though I may be taking it literally

He's certainly in the running for greatest UFA of my lifetime. Chara may be the only other one who is in the same class, though I could easily be forgetting some.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.