Steven Stamkos stays in Tampa Bay, 8.5mil x 8yrs

LGR4GM

Stamkos' show me the money poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How much $$$$$ will Stamkos get per year?

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more
  2. 2. How much $$$$$ would YOU pay Stamkos per year? It is safe to assume he gets max deal of 7 years.

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more

^^^ Here: http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/dreger-speculation-sabres-going-absolutely-stamkos/

I know this is stupid and probably won't happen and people here don't want it and whatever, but for half a second indulge this thought:

Stamkos-O'Reilly-Kane

Vesey-Eichel-Rienhart

Foligno - Girgensons - Ennis

Gionta - Larsson - Moulson

Risto - Shattnkirk

Gorges - Bogo

Franson - McCabe

Lehner

That is a lineup that could, theoretically but legitimately, happen for the Sabres this year. If that's not a playoff team I don't know WTF is.

Edited by sabills

Signing Stamkos at 10 mil per would be great, assuming Vesey signs we'd be set at forward. But at $12, I'm getting cold feet. I'd love to hear an argument for why we could afford him at $12, if there is one (Not being sarcastic, here).

I'm trying to figure out if there is any way the numbers could work out in our favor if we actually signed Stamkos at 12mil/per. What are we projecting RFA deals for Eichel, Reinhart and Rasmus to be? I assume we're letting Kane walk in FA when his deal is up. Are we assuming O'Reilly is gone in FA when his deal is up too?

My comfort level is $9, limit is $9.5, could possibly get talked into $10...but $12 is madness. No, not Sparta, madness.

I'm trying to figure out if there is any way the numbers could work out in our favor if we actually signed Stamkos at 12mil/per. What are we projecting RFA deals for Eichel, Reinhart and Rasmus to be? I assume we're letting Kane walk in FA when his deal is up. Are we assuming O'Reilly is gone in FA when his deal is up too?

Eichel: $7.5-8M

Reinhart: $6.5-7M

Risto: $5.5M if we go long term now, $7.5M (after the bridge) if we bridge now.

Those are my best guesses anyway.

I think it could work if you're signing Eichel and Reinhart to 3 year deals in RFA. You don't have to pay them the big bucks until 2021-22, at which point you could probably trade O'Reilly or Stamkos if you had to. But in the meantime you get basically a super team.

Edited by d4rksabre

I think the greater reward here would be to acquire Stamkos. Having Toronto overpay by 2 million a season means that they may not be able to afford the next Clarke MacArthur. If he goes somewhere else so be it, that's his choice. I refuse to be scared by the contract as I haven't yet observed great players with huge contracts holding their teams back (Chicago, Pittsurgh, etc). Perhaps he is no longer elite and in that scenario this is an entirely different conversation. 

I think it could work if you're signing Eichel and Reinhart to 3 year deals in RFA. You don't have to pay them the big bucks until 2021-22, at which point you could probably trade O'Reilly or Stamkos if you had to. But in the meantime you get basically a super team.

Going bridge on star players is a huge mistake. Plus, I doubt either of them would go for it anyway.

I think the greater reward here would be to acquire Stamkos. Having Toronto overpay by 2 million a season means that they may not be able to afford the next Clarke MacArthur. If he goes somewhere else so be it, that's his choice. I refuse to be scared by the contract as I haven't yet observed great players with huge contracts holding their teams back (Chicago, Pittsurgh, etc). Perhaps he is no longer elite and in that scenario this is an entirely different conversation.

If you don't think the Toews/Kane contracts are greatly hindering Chicago right now, you're not paying attention.

Going bridge on star players is a huge mistake. Plus, I doubt either of them would go for it anyway.

You're probably right, but still. I think if I'm a player who wants to win, I look at the opportunity to take a little less cash to play on a super team as worth doing. I don't have an agent breathing down my neck though, so who knows. But Reinhart and Eichel strike me as smart guys. Who wouldn't want to be a part of a potential dynasty?

You're probably right, but still. I think if I'm a player who wants to win, I look at the opportunity to take a little less cash to play on a super team as worth doing. I don't have an agent breathing down my neck though, so who knows. But Reinhart and Eichel strike me as smart guys. Who wouldn't want to be a part of a potential dynasty?

Thing is, bridge vs long term isn't a little less money. It's less than half, in all likelihood. So $3-4M per year less. No pro athlete is taking that kind of a haircut, and that's before adding the intrinsic value of long term security.

Thing is, bridge vs long term isn't a little less money. It's less than half, in all likelihood. So $3-4M per year less. No pro athlete is taking that kind of a haircut, and that's before adding the intrinsic value of long term security.

That's too bad. Imagine how much fun it would be?

Per Dreger the Sabres "are all in on Stamkos"

Oh yeah.  It is ON.

Kane-Stamkos-O'Reilly

Ennis-Eichel-Reino

Vesey-Girgensons-Gionta

Foligno-Larsson-Bailey/Moulson

Holy mackerel that would be exciting.

As for cap concerns:  some of Risto, Reino and Eichel get bridge deals, Gionta is gone after this year, Moulson can be bought out after this year (or perhaps another team is bribed with draft picks to take him), and GMTM generally won't pay anyone in the bottom 6 more than $1.5MM per year -- he'll cycle through those guys like Chicago does.  He also won't give a big contract to a goalie.

I also think that he won't end up giving a FA defenseman a big contract this year, as there isn't anyone worth doing so for.

Oh yeah.  It is ON.

Kane-Stamkos-O'Reilly

Ennis-Eichel-Reino

Vesey-Girgensons-Gionta

Foligno-Larsson-Bailey/Moulson

Holy mackerel that would be exciting.

As for cap concerns:  some of Risto, Reino and Eichel get bridge deals, Gionta is gone after this year, Moulson can be bought out after this year (or perhaps another team is bribed with draft picks to take him), and GMTM generally won't pay anyone in the bottom 6 more than $1.5MM per year -- he'll cycle through those guys like Chicago does.  He also won't give a big contract to a goalie.

I also think that he won't end up giving a FA defenseman a big contract this year, as there isn't anyone worth doing so for.

I like this lineup very much, but regarding the bolded, what do you see GMTM doing for our D then? Specifically this summer. A trade to fill the need?

Isn't it too soon for O'Reilly....he's signed for 6 more years, correct?

If you don't think the Toews/Kane contracts are greatly hindering Chicago right now, you're not paying attention.

but they've also won 3 cups in last 7 seasons....I'll take that

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.