World Cup 2016

MODO Hockey

What? So we have legitimate criticism of him and when everyone comes rushing to his defense like we just spit on the flag, it's somehow us being upset that he owes us and not others protecting him?

Unless you're joking. Are you?

Criticism is fine. Saying that we suffered to get Eichel and he better be great as a result is quite another animal entirely. 

He was the prize, the entire reason for the tank. He was ranked higher than everyone in the last decade other than 2-3 players. How is it unreasonable to have higher expectations for him? Let alone expectations that he freaking puts in some effort and looks remotely like a top player on an under 23 team

Criticism is fine. Saying that we suffered to get Eichel and he better be great as a result is quite another animal entirely.

He better be great for my reasons above

So - he's been demoted to the wing.

:ph34r:

But he ain't centering a line no more, see?

:ph34r:  :ph34r:

How many first line centers are on that team? I don't blame McClellan AT ALL for seeing what Jack looks like flanking McDavid with Johnny Hockey on the other wing. That may be the fastest line in the world. Seriously. 

Sorry, I'll let the nit pickers look down upon the move, but I don't see it as a demotion at all. Not in the least. 

He was the prize, the entire reason for the tank. He was ranked higher than everyone in the last decade other than 2-3 players. How is it unreasonable to have higher expectations for him? Let alone expectations that he freaking puts in some effort and looks remotely like a top player on an under 23 team

He better be great for my reasons above

Jack Eichel owes you. I get it. 

But this crap about his effort last night is bullschit and uninformed to boot. 

Edited by K-9

I ask again: What the is going on in here with regard to the Eichel hang wringing?!

Jesus Christ on a goddamned popsicle stick.

How many first line centers are on that team? I don't blame McClellan AT ALL for seeing what Jack looks like flanking McDavid with Johnny Hockey on the other wing. That may be the fastest line in the world. Seriously.

Sorry, I'll let the nit pickers look down upon the move, but I don't see it as a demotion at all. Not in the least.

I was jokingly continuing the line of thinking re Eichel not showing, being enough. Edited by That Aud Smell

I ask again: What the ###### is going on in here with regard to the Eichel hang wringing?!

Jesus Christ on a goddamned popsicle stick.

I was jokingly continuing the line of thinking re Eichel not showing, being enough.

Hard to tell around here sometimes. Especially with my penchant to "oversimplify." 

You oversimplify positions k9, we get it

He should be the driving force on any line on that team. To expect anything less is just kidding yourself

How's this for oversimplification: 

If Eichel could only be a point and a half player every game, we all might be satisfied. 

What? So we have legitimate criticism of him and when everyone comes rushing to his defense like we just spit on the flag, it's somehow us being upset that he owes us and not others protecting him?

Unless you're joking. Are you?

No one is protecting Eichel. He doesn't need protection on a message board. It's irrelevant to him, and he's not reading it. People are taking issue with this criticism being "legit", that's all. I personally don't think it is, at all, for numerous reasons, which I and others have touched on.

He was the prize, the entire reason for the tank. He was ranked higher than everyone in the last decade other than 2-3 players. How is it unreasonable to have higher expectations for him? Let alone expectations that he freaking puts in some effort and looks remotely like a top player on an under 23 team He better be great for my reasons above

Yup. He put no effort in and didn't look remotely good. Being one of 6 players with a point, numerous comments on his 200 foot game, not good enough in an exhibition game. Not good enough for the expectations here. #face-palm.

No one is protecting Eichel. He doesn't need protection on a message board. It's irrelevant to him, and he's not reading it. People are taking issue with this criticism being "legit", that's all. I personally don't think it is, at all, for numerous reasons, which I and others have touched on.

Yup. He put no effort in and didn't look remotely good. Being one of 6 players with a point, numerous comments on his 200 foot game, not good enough in an exhibition game. Not good enough for the expectations here. #face-palm.

Whoa, he had a secondary point?? That changes everything

Definitely factors in. It wasn't a "S1ck sniiiiiipe, man!", but he started that play and the secondary assist breakout pass, a nice play off the boards, no less, was a slick little play that got Chara caught out of position and led directly to the goal.

For any of us message board posters to demand anything from him, in an exhibition game for an exhibition tournament in September, would indeed be absurd.

Holy hell why does that matter? He should be dominating lesser competition, regardless of where he's playing. People keep saying this game is the equivalent of beer leave pond hockey. It's an international televised game on ESPN for a big tournament. This isn't the Cup finals but yeah, I expect him to show up more than he did

I'm sure if he was putting more effort in, he would have just deked through the entire team twice himself then roofed it. Heads-up play he did make notwithstanding.

Holy hell why does that matter? He should be dominating lesser competition, regardless of where he's playing. People keep saying this game is the equivalent of beer leave pond hockey. It's an international televised game on ESPN for a big tournament. This isn't the Cup finals but yeah, I expect him to show up more than he did

Like Crosby, the best player in the world, did in the 2009 Stanley Cup finals (certainly a tad bigger than yesterday's game) when he had all of something like 2 points in the series? Great players don't always dominate at every given time and to expect that, to demand that, would be folly.

Edited by Thorny

Yeah is that the year the entire opposing team focused in Crosby after his 100+ point campaign? Pretty sure the other 5 guys on the ice weren't all spending weeks game planning specificaly for Eichel

He didn't play well in the World's last summer, or the World Juniors IIRC either

Edited by WildCard

I'm sure if he was putting more effort in, he would have just deked through the entire team twice himself then roofed it. Heads-up play he did make notwithstanding.

Like Crosby, the best player in the world, did in the 2009 Stanley Cup finals (certainly a tad bigger than yesterday's game) when he had all of something like 2 points in the series? Great players don't always dominate at every given time and to expect that, to demand that, would be folly.

We need to bring back Mr. Teds Nolans. He oozes compete and will be able to motivate the young Eichel to rediscover his.

Holy ######, boys!  She blew!

Always a fine quality in a woman. Who is she though and who did she blow?

Yes, how absurd of me to demand more from the Eichel.

Did you miss the part I said about criticism of Eichel being OK? That is not what I'm railing against. 

He played a good game last night against a team of more experienced all stars and looked quite at home doing it. He was a force on the ice the majority of time he spent on it. That is the consensus of those reporting on the game. Played great defensively, hustled, led the team in shots, and made a great play out of his zone to start the play on the Gaudreau goal. 

But because he wasn't the fastest, had more goals than MacKinnon, or doesn't look as dynamic as McDavid, I have to read how he floated and OWES us because we SUFFERED? That is objectionable in light of the good game he actually had last night. 

I think I've heard enough and have said all I can on the matter. I hope Eichel can realize the standards you set for him. 

Did you miss the commentary of the TV guys on that play? Did you see the play Jack made to start that goal? Yeah, it was secondary. Like all good plays show up on the stat line.

OK, much to your satisfaction I'm sure, I really have said enough in response to your posts. Have a good one. 

:beer:

Definitely factors in. It wasn't a "S1ck sniiiiiipe, man!", but he started that play and the secondary assist breakout pass, a nice play off the boards, no less, was a slick little play that got Chara caught out of position and led directly to the goal.

thank you. 

Yeah is that the year the entire opposing team focused in Crosby after his 100+ point campaign? Pretty sure the other 5 guys on the ice weren't all spending weeks game planning specificaly for Eichel

He didn't play well in the World's last summer, or the World Juniors IIRC either

Probably also focusing on Malkin's greater 113 point season and his playoff leading point total.

Jack didn't play well in the world's last summer?! 7 points in 10 games, as an 18 year old, in his first action against pros?

This is getting ridiculous.

Before he left, LGR had become fairly unhinged on the matter of Eichel's play in the tournament in Toronto last night.

Now Wild Card's taken over that job. And with vigor too.

This is getting ridiculous.

That happened many posts ago.

I fear for our future right now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.