TRADE: Jamie McGinn traded to Anaheim

Hoss

The Sabres would have taken Blum, for sure!

I went and looked, and Buffalo didn't have a 1st in that draft I'm sure it was a Darcy special, trade us your expiring power forward for a 1st, no reasonable offer refused! Buffalo slotted at 28th, with which the Sharks took Nick Petrecki, who looks to be out of playing hockey, and possibly in jail from a bar fight. One NHL game to his credit, no points, no PIM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Petrecki

I looked at that draft, and the #8 pick by Boston, Zack Hamill played 20 NHL games and is in Europe now. Coture, McDonough, and Shattenkrik were picked shortly after Hamill.

BUFFALO: Darcy Special indeed, the first went to Washington who then traded it to SJ: February 27, 2007 that sent Dainius Zubrus and Timo Helbling to Buffalo in exchange for Jiri Novotny and this pick.

Edited by MattPie

Hilarious thing this morning at physical therapy:

Patient walks in.

Therapist: Good morning, how are you feeling?

Patient: I'm fine and I'd be better if the Sabres weren't so bad.

Therapist: Oh that's right, they traded that guy away yesterday.

Patient: Yea, and only him. Whole team stinks, they need all new players, and they trade away one guy. Just proves they're not even trying to win! They should've traded away half the team!

Yes, this actually happened as described. I must say, that's a take on the McGinn trade I hadn't expected :lol:

Please tell me you said something  :lol:

100% agree.

Drury was walking. He would have got something for him.

Eh. Don't confuse conjecture with facts. I don't know who GMTM would have preferred, but Drury signed his contract extension early in the season. TG didn't consummate the marriage. Drury eventually pulled out and THEN he was walking. So, Drury was originally fine with staying, but TM may not have offered that contract in the first place.

That Aud Smell, on 01 Mar 2016 - 10:26 AM, said:

I do think it'd be a mistake to infantilize the idea that a 19 year-old professional hockey player could hit an emotional speed bump because a guy he really, really got along with was traded away.

I think this narrative needs to be quelled.  Someone took something I said about Reinhart in another thread and applied it to McGinn.  I do not think what I said relative to Samson applies to McGinn to a significant degree, although, as I have stated in this thread, I do think GMTM should be mindful of the locker room culture.  The reason I believe the latter is because of the youth on the team and that I do believe the way they are treated affects their play and their development.  The scope of that I can not say, and the extent of the affect the McGinn trade may have I can not say, either, but, to the latter, I would say probably far, far less than if Samson were traded away.  It was no secret McGinn is looking for his payday - and I'm sure the youths can process that quite fine in the face of the consequences otherwise.

Eh. Don't confuse conjecture with facts. I don't know who GMTM would have preferred, but Drury signed his contract extension early in the season. TG didn't consummate the marriage. Drury eventually pulled out and THEN he was walking. So, Drury was originally fine with staying, but TM may not have offered that contract in the first place.

Oh God, I completely agree with you but I just know where this is heading and I fear for my sanity....

I think this narrative needs to be quelled.  Someone took something I said about Reinhart in another thread and applied it to McGinn.  I do not think what I said relative to Samson applies to McGinn to a significant degree, although, as I have stated in this thread, I do think GMTM should be mindful of the locker room culture.  The reason I believe the latter is because of the youth on the team and that I do believe the way they are treated affects their play and their development.  The scope of that I can not say, and the extent of the affect the McGinn trade may have I can not say, either, but, to the latter, I would say probably far, far less than if Samson were traded away.  It was no secret McGinn is looking for his payday - and I'm sure the youths can process that quite fine in the face of the consequences otherwise.

Narrative?

C'mon.

I've been saying for weeks that I've heard and read things that make it quite clear that Eichel really, really enjoys McGinn. That's all.

ddaryl, on 01 Mar 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:ddaryl, on 01 Mar 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

Exactly... I see lots of people unable to see the bigger picture. There will be quite a Few Jamie McGinn's and then some available this offseason. Lots of teams pushed themselves up tight against the cap and are going to want draft picks to start filling the stables again.

This is offensive.  Other than the McGinn fans, who should be allowed to disagree with the move because they genuinely believe McGinn was a fit for the team going forward, the rest of the debate here is not about whether there is a bigger picture.  The debate is about constantly being told there is a bigger picture and to keep waiting for it.  Nearly 10 years of this crap and, really, I think anyone with this POV is justified in being frustrated and sick of hearing about the future.  Yes, it's the only path available to the Sabres at this point, but, that doesn't make the present any more palpable. 

Some of you might find things to elevate in this already-lost season, and, of course, there are some things to point to as improvements.  But the bottom line is still the bottom line - bottom feeding team, crappy system, seemingly senseless player usage, lots of promises.

Of course you can look at the calendar, player stats, the list of UFAs, the draft class, and say "oh! but NEXT SEASON will be much better..." but how does that improve the value of tonight's game?

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

If they want to complain about the loss of McGinn then they need to finish that line of complaint. Take it to its logical end. Renounce the rebuild. Renounce the fruits of the tank. Renounce GMTM. Renounce the entire process that we're in the midst of before it has been seen through.

Anything less is just whining. 

I've still got two more pages to read, but what the hell is your problem with people having a different position than you? You've done nothing but belittle anybody that doesn't like this deal and then bitch about the fact that the discussion even exists? Why don't you just move on to a different thread if you're just going ridicule the subject and its posters without any real substance of your own?

That Aud Smell, on 01 Mar 2016 - 1:33 PM, said:

Narrative?

C'mon.

I've been saying for weeks that I've heard and read things that make it quite clear that Eichel really, really enjoys McGinn. That's all.

It is one of the narratives in this thread, what's the deal?  I'm just saying it came up earlier as a possible negative to the McGinn trade and it's out of context and out of proportion.

This is offensive. 

seriously ?   offensive

if this offended you, you probably need to get off the internet all together

McGinn is a middle of the pack utility player. Not a player you over pay because you feel he could fit the future. In fact he is still a UFA this off-season and we can still offer him a contract, but now we have extra ammo to pick up one of the plethora of McGinn type players lots of playoff teams will be offloading. To me that is extremely intelligent GM'ing

McGinn probably wanted ot test FA regardless so at least the Sabres got a pick for him while he does exactly that.

Edited by ddaryl

ddaryl, on 01 Mar 2016 - 1:49 PM, said:

seriously ?   offensive

if this offended you, you probably need to get off the internet all together

It's a manner of speaking.  Your response to the rest of the post is intr...wait, you didn't respond to the rest of the post.  Silly me.

I was under the impression he was to NY or the Sabres had to pay a lot. Much like McGinn and free agency. Either scenario with GMTM there would be something at the end of the day for the Sabres.

It is one of the narratives in this thread, what's the deal?  I'm just saying it came up earlier as a possible negative to the McGinn trade and it's out of context and out of proportion.

I think we understand the use of "narrative" differently. As for context and proportion, Eichel <3 McGinn is an issue I'd been contemplating, so I'm not sure what to make of your characterizations above.

It's a manner of speaking.  Your response to the rest of the post is intr...wait, you didn't respond to the rest of the post.  Silly me.

yes I did

just didn't say the things you want to hear

There is seriously something wrong with posters at sabrespace who always resort to being offended and throwing temper tantrums

I stated my opinion and I am fine with the move. Nothing more to discuss, and having a long 3 page debate about it would be more worthless that tits on a bull

Edited by ddaryl

That Aud Smell, on 01 Mar 2016 - 1:54 PM, said:That Aud Smell, on 01 Mar 2016 - 1:54 PM, said:

I think we understand the use of "narrative" differently. As for context and proportion, Eichel <3 McGinn is an issue I'd been contemplating, so I'm not sure what to make of your characterizations above.

I, too, have contemplated it and I believe it's not a big issue.  That is, again, compared to if they had traded Samson, which, some people were tossing about in another thread.  I think it's safe to assume McGinn and Jack more than likely discussed the matter privately more than once, and Jack was probably more than prepared for McGinn's departure.  As others suggested earlier, and I agree, McGinn leaving is a learning experience for Eichel.  Now, I think if Samson were traded yesterday, that would have an effect on Jack.  Of course we're both guessing at all of this.

ddaryl, on 01 Mar 2016 - 1:58 PM, said:

yes I did

3 minutes after my post.  I don't do time travel well.

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

This is just being argumentative for argument's sake.

Draft picks are the currency for the NHL. Arguing about receiving draft picks is like arguing with your employer about receiving money as compensation for work. You can't eat money. Money doesn't keep the rain off your head. Why would anyone want money then?

Tim Murray explicitly stated that the Sabres would be beneficiaries of teams needing to unload good players this summer because of the cap. He's loading up on the currency that allows him to buy those players. So, that's not 4-6 years. It is more likely that it is 6 months. He will use those picks to buy good players who fit in the long term.

Again, as I mentioned three or four times, what is a 3rd rounder going to buy? Do you really think that sways the deal for a blockbuster trade? What are we going to do with six 3rd round picks in two years, restock Rochester?

yes I did

There is seriously something wrong with posters at sabrespace who always resort to being offended and throwing temper tantrums

I stated my opinion and I am fine with the move. Nothing more to discuss, and having a long 3 page debate about it would be more worthless that tits on a bull

No, that's only millenials 

yes I did

And, no, you actually didn't respond to the post, so I'm not sure what to make of what you did say.

ddaryl, on 01 Mar 2016 - 1:58 PM, said:

yes I did

More time travel.

I'm curious, what part of my post in question is a temper tantrum?  Feel free to quote and bold the exact phrases.  Thanks.  It's a learning experience for me, you know.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.