Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

Well, thank you sweetie!

As for the bolded:  why does this matter if they are #8 in offensive scoring? 

Hey - I did not intend to patronize. Truly. I just find the whole proposition so ... odd. Coming from you, especially. I'm not sure why. That's just HOW I FEEL.

As for the question: It's a passing league. If my favourite team is 32nd in passing, then I'm concerned. That's not all on Taylor, of course (although they'd probably be closer to 20th if he could use the middle of the field (ha!)). I just don't think it portends well for success.

or the #1 rushing offense

I know that's how they're built. That's what they want to do -- ground and pound over and over again, and then try to hit one over the top once the D has 9 guys in the box or whatever.

I happen to think it's a mistake to build a team that way, and that such a philosophy is a fundamental, fatal flaw that will block the team's path to success. It's just not good to be so imbalanced.  

Edited by That Aud Smell

Because the #1 rushing attack may be the main reason for that ranking, and Tyrod's contract is a lotta money.

This is fair.  I think though that TT and the threat he represents plays a fairly significant role in loosening up the D for McCoy.

As for the cash:  I agree it's a ton of $$, but it's not out of line for a starting QB, and if they pick him up for next year, their cap obligations only affect either next year or next year and the year after (I've seen it described both ways).  And, critically, I don't think there's a better QB option out there for the same or less $$.

Hey - I did not intend to patronize. Truly. I just find the whole proposition so ... odd. Coming from you, especially. I'm not sure why. That's just HOW I FEEL.

As for the question: It's a passing league. If my favourite team is 32nd in passing, then I'm concerned. That's not all on Taylor, of course (although they'd probably be closer to 20th if he could use the middle of the field (ha!)). I just don't think it portends well for success.

I know that's how they're built. That's what they want to do -- ground and pound over and over again, and then try to hit one over the top once the D has 9 guys in the box or whatever.

I happen to think it's a mistake to build a team that way, and that such a philosophy is a fundamental, fatal flaw that will block the team's path to success. It's just not good to be so imbalanced.  

I wasn't snapping back -- just offering some genuine message board respect and affection.

As for the apparent oddness of my enthusiasm for TT -- I know I've criticized the Bills pretty harshly and relentlessly lo these many years.  But those criticisms have, I believe, generally centered on the Micky Mouse nature of the way in which the franchise has been run (which I think has been valid).  I like to think that I evaluate each player based on his own merits/demerits, without considering franchise baggage.

The Bills have been lost in the desert for a generation.  A team simply can't be a viable contender in the NFL without a real QB.  Not coincidentally, the Bills haven't had a real QB in a generation.  So do I want TT to succeed perhaps a little too desperately, and is this clouding my judgment?  It's quite possible. 

But I also think (i) he's a real playmaker, (ii) in most cases, it takes much more game experience than TT has had thus far for a QB to become highly proficient at reading the whole field, finding the open guy (and the guy who's going to be open), developing timing with his receivers, etc. and (iii) unless a no-BS top-5 QB falls into their laps, I'd much rather take my chances on the guy who's running the #8 scoring offense in the NFL to continue to grow in the job than start over with some retread like Cutler, RGIII, etc.

There's also the non-quantifiable, but very real, enjoyment factor of knowing that he could do something incredible on every snap.  After 15 years of Fitz, Edwards, EJ, Orton, etc. -- and listening to Russ Brandon blather on about "we need to stack some wins" -- I need some electricity to move the needle.

Well, thank you sweetie!

As for the bolded:  why does this matter if they are #8 in offensive scoring? 

Or #1 in turnovers committed.  Six turnovers in 11 games.  Let that sink in.  He might not be the best QB in the world, but he protects that ball.

'cuse me while I light a fatty.

Neither body shaming nor immolation is funny.

Or #1 in turnovers committed.  Six turnovers in 11 games.  Let that sink in.  He might not be the best QB in the world, but he protects that ball.

And he's gonna protect that ball right into an 8-8 record, I fear.

Seriously. I think we'd be better off if he turned it over a bit more. An uptick in that metric should also indicate more attempts at being explosive (and more successes as well).

Edit: An uptick in that metric might also indicate that he's actually trying to throw it over the middle to that tight end that the team spent a bundle on.

So just for some perspective here. The league as a whole has gone so passing heavy that there are only two teams in the whole league that run more than 50% of the time. Those are the Cowboys (51.5%) and the Bills (50.6%). The 28 other teams pass more than they run, with the highest disparity being the Packers at 64.7% Pass/35.3% Run.

So the Bills are actually very balanced offensively, it is just the rest of the league has lost their minds with the skew towards passing plays. It should be noted that two of the top 3 teams record wise are in the top 5 for run frequency, the Cowboys (#1 run frequency, 10-1) and the Patriots (#5 run frequency, 9-2).

You can win in many different ways folks.

Stats from http://www.fftoday.com%2Fstats%2F14_run_pass_ratios.html&usg=AFQjCNEyVh5pZYoM1Z5utFEbHRUn8ojlPA

Edited by Touched by Boyes

Where are you seeing this? TBD doesn't even have it

Watkins practiced today. Woods and Garvin did not. Darby likely out for Sunday

In my Facebook feed from BuffaloBills.com

Says he will play through it.

Edited by wjag

Yeah, he's been playing with pain all season.  He said it was something he can play with, it's just a question of pain management.  Broken bones hurt like hell though, even if it's one of those little ones in the ankle.  He's a stud for even playing in my book.

I'm,for some reason, having hard time staying that interested in this team.

I feel the same, I've been a Bills fan for over 45 years and lately I really don't care what they do. Most of it has to do with the hiring of Ryan, I never liked the guy (detest him) and couldn't get myself to like him just because he became the Bills coach. Then this offseason when he brought his brother on board, it made it worse for me. I haven't gotten to the point where I want them to lose in hopes they fire Ryan, but honestly I don't think I'm very far away from that.

Also IMO the game and players have changed so much from when I fell in love with the game, that my interest in football has decreased. A tough man's game seems to be giving way to a bunch of prima donnas that if not celebrating after every routine play are crying about some injustice done to them by the officials, ("he touched my helmet").

I feel the same, I've been a Bills fan for over 45 years and lately I really don't care what they do. Most of it has to do with the hiring of Ryan, I never liked the guy (detest him) and couldn't get myself to like him just because he became the Bills coach. Then this offseason when he brought his brother on board, it made it worse for me. I haven't gotten to the point where I want them to lose in hopes they fire Ryan, but honestly I don't think I'm very far away from that.

Also IMO the game and players have changed so much from when I fell in love with the game, that my interest in football has decreased. A tough man's game seems to be giving way to a bunch of prima donnas that if not celebrating after every routine play are crying about some injustice done to them by the officials, ("he touched my helmet").

This comment is 100% on the money, and fairly accurately represents where I am at (with a little less rex hate). That said there is something about football that I can't shake. It's like a drug addict who knows it's bad but can't stop.

My reliance might be more about the family and routine of Sundays. It's the day I know I get to see my dad at least once a week and he loves it

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.