Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

I'm fine with continuing to look for a QB, and for that matter I'm fine with drafting a QB in the first round every year until they come up with a good one, but I am definitely not fine with cutting TT loose after this year without having secured a very good QB to take his place.  (And I'm not sure I'd want Romo -- he's a good QB but it seems like he absorbs a pretty significant injury every year now.)

Bottom line is that Brady or Brees or Wilson isn't falling into their laps this offseason (and it's worth noting that Brees and Wilson, like most QBs, improved substantially with a couple of years of experience).

If this year's team had had Sammy and the fat underachieving NT for 75% of the games, a bigger and better #2 WR, and a D that didn't underachieve so grievously, they'd be in the playoffs.

it's worth noting that Brees and Wilson, like most QBs, improved substantially with a couple of years of experience.

I won't argue the point. I reckon that most franchise QBs have improved from game 10 to game 30 of their careers. 

I just have not seen signs that Taylor will improve in critical areas where he is woefully inadequate. Maybe he can, and maybe he will. I certainly hope he does.

I'd forgotten to mention this one in my takes above. This is probably his biggest failing. I heard John Murphy's talking partner - is it Donald Jones? - talking about this the other day: Tyrod consistently throws only to receivers that he sees as being open, rather than throwing to a receiver (or an area) that he anticipates will be open once the ball arrives. The difference is so slight, but it's everything in the NFL.

This is why I still hold out hope for him.  I think he's still on the learning curve when it comes to reads.  If can learn to read at the NFL level, his production will dramatically increase.

This is why I still hold out hope for him.  I think he's still on the learning curve when it comes to reads.  If can learn to read at the NFL level, his production will dramatically increase.

I don't think throwing with anticipation has to do with reading a defense, I think it's largely instinctual and cannot be taught nor learned.

Seantral Henderson suspended 10 games for medically (?) prescribed pot violation. (source: Bills Facebook)

It's being widely reported that he has been suspended after he admittedly used marijuana that was prescribed by a physician to (successfully) treat his Crohn's disease.

I said it before on this subject, but it bears repeating: the NFL sideways with the butt end of a broken champagne bottle.

I don't think throwing with anticipation has to do with reading a defense, I think it's largely instinctual and cannot be taught nor learned.

I think you are wrong.  But it will take coaching and dedicated practice.

Not unlike accuracy?

I think it's related to accuracy.  But it's also (and this is the problem this season) related to understanding the idiosyncrasies of your receivers.  How much do you lead?  How much will the receiver come back?  How quick does he accelerate after a cut?  Every receiver's going to be a little different in those respects even when they're running the same route.  Tyrod hasn't had the luxury of a consistent receiver core this year and has had to make constant adjustments.  If he had Watkins and Woods all season long, injury free, he'd certainly be more dialed into them at this point, and his perceived accuracy would be that much better.

I think you are wrong.  But it will take coaching and dedicated practice.

I think it's related to accuracy.  But it's also (and this is the problem this season) related to understanding the idiosyncrasies of your receivers.  How much do you lead?  How much will the receiver come back?  How quick does he accelerate after a cut?  Every receiver's going to be a little different in those respects even when they're running the same route.  Tyrod hasn't had the luxury of a consistent receiver core this year and has had to make constant adjustments.  If he had Watkins and Woods all season long, injury free, he'd certainly be more dialed into them at this point, and his perceived accuracy would be that much better.

One thing of which I am confident: Accuracy is something a QB either has, or does not have. It can't be coached. It can't be manufactured through altered and improved mechanics. My memory may have faded on the matter, but, in my mind, accuracy was the one thing (or, at least, the chief thing) that prevented EJ from progressing and becoming a starting NFL quarterback.

Put another way: If EJ had better than average accuracy, he'd probably still be the Bills' starting QB.

And, of course, if a frog had wings, he would not bump his ass a hoppin'.

Despite my hopes and what I posted above, given the prospects of landing another NFL starting QB, I think the Bills are picking up the option and having TT as their quarterback for another 2 seasons. The next chance for an easy out cap-wise is after then IIRC.

That's been my expectation for a while.

Hoping that they are either seeing serious development w/ Jones - enough that they believe he can take over in year 4 AND successfully or they are drafing a 1st or 2nd rounder (depending on what the pool looks like when it's their pick in rd 1) this year (or both options are occurring). Considering nobody is mentioning anything about Jones, doubt that one will fly.

Dumping Taylor this offseason for something that MAY be better in a year or 2 would be extremely foolish IMHO. But not realizing that Taylor will almost definitely NOT be that franchise guy they've lacked for arguably 14 or 20 years is almost as foolish (again, IMHO). The search for a franchise QB MUST continue.

- he'll probably get them to 9-7 this year without his best WR for most of the year and with a bunch of injuries to his other WRs (who comprise a pretty mediocre group anyway).

Small correction here, but if Watkins doesn't get hurt again, he'll have been in half of the games.

Personally, I think if Taylor could just see when his WRs are wide open, this offense would be very dangerous.

Small correction here, but if Watkins doesn't get hurt again, he'll have been in half of the games.

Personally, I think if Taylor could just see when his WRs are wide open, this offense would be very dangerous.

Well, that's a pretty big "if."

I also think we also need to consider that he's missed chunks of the games he's dressed for.  He's been far from an every-snap guy.

Separately:  another point recommending TT is the fact that the Bills are #8 in the NFL in offensive scoring, despite the revolving door at WR and the loss of McCoy for parts of the season.

He's flawed, to be sure, but perhaps those flaws are improvable, and in the meantime he's overcoming those flaws with other aspects of his game and, most importantly, getting the job done.

Separately:  another point recommending TT is the fact that the Bills are #8 in the NFL in offensive scoring, despite the revolving door at WR and the loss of McCoy for parts of the season.

He's flawed, to be sure, but perhaps those flaws are improvable, and in the meantime he's overcoming those flaws with other aspects of his game and, most importantly, getting the job done.

I find your measured zeal for Taylor simultaneously perplexing and endearing.

Did I hear right that the Bills are ranked 32nd in passing offence? I think I did hear that.

I find your measured zeal for Taylor simultaneously perplexing and endearing.

Did I hear right that the Bills are ranked 32nd in passing offence? I think I did hear that.

Well, thank you sweetie!

As for the bolded:  why does this matter if they are #8 in offensive scoring? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.