Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

A DT, WR and or CB won't really change anything.  Unless the qb is in place it really doesn't matter.  Unfortunately with the dearth of prostyle offenses in college producing fewer true passers,  the outlook is not good that the Bills draft a true franchise qb anytime soon.  TT is not a franchise qb, but an adequate placeholder IMHO.

A DT, WR and or CB won't really change anything. Unless the qb is in place it really doesn't matter. Unfortunately with the dearth of prostyle offenses in college producing fewer true passers, the outlook is not good that the Bills draft a true franchise qb anytime soon. TT is not a franchise qb, but an adequate placeholder IMHO.

Well then maybe we should just spend every single draft pick on QB from now on since no other position will change anything.

I fully get that the QB position trumps all others in football but Tyrod Taylor is good enough to get us into the playoffs if he can stay healthy and he has a solid supporting cast. I'm not ready for them to throw in the towel just yet.

Well then maybe we should just spend every single draft pick on QB from now on since no other position will change anything

Thus is exactly what Mike Schopp says, seriously. I could listen 2 drafting 2 a year. Your scouts are getting paid handsomely for something. Gimme 2 names I gotta get every year that play under center.

I disagree about Taylor, but we will see.

As to drafting two every year, it doesn't matter if they can't play the position at the pro level. Too many spread offenses so drafting two every year is pointless unless you are willing to spend the time teaching them the game at the pro level. With salary cap, it is tough to carry a player you don't plan on using yet giving him enough practice reps to develop the necessary skills and the ability to read defenses. Once you do you have to commit long term or he walks in free agency. If you draft one high, there is always the temptation to rush them into the lineup before they are ready. You have to get lucky. Like Ink said there just not that many.

I remember Kiko doing whatever he did to his knee and thinking the defense would be ruined, and then they were by far the best defense I've ever seen the Bills put on the field (2005-present)

I think we generally tend to overrate the importance of individual players in football. Sure losing Lawson and (likely) Ragland sucks, but are they collectively even worth a single win over their replacements? As rookies, I'd say probably not.

I'm bored. Here's a 53-man project/depth chart breakdown.

QB - Tyrod Taylor, EJ Manuel, Cardale Jones

This one is easy. This will be the depth chart with Cardale Jones likely being inactive for most games. They'll play the long game with him and see if he develops as a project. I imagine he'll never be more than a backup, but he has the "tools" to make it happen. EJ will make the team one last time as a backup, but the team will be hoping all year Tyrod doesn't get hurt. Tyrod deserves a ton of credit for what he did last year, and he very well may be the franchise QB we've been needing if he can improve his throws across the middle and stay healthy. Very excited to see where this season takes him. With all that said I give this group a knock for not having a viable backup behind a QB with possible health concerns.

POSITION GRADE: B

RB - LeSean McCoy, Karlos Williams (SUSP), Reggie Bush, Mike Gillislee, Jonathan Williams

No, the team will not carry five RBs. However, I think they'll carry this group into week one and then Gillislee gets walking papers once K. Williams returns from his suspension. Talk is McCoy has looked "five years younger" this preseason. Contract aside he is still a great player. If he plays 16 games I could see him as one of the league's top backs once again if Karlos and others can take the hard carries off again. Superstar talent at the top and hard-to-match depth.

POSITION GRADE: A

FB - Glenn Gronkowski

The team didn't use Felton nearly as much as his contract dictates. They have been running plenty of fullback packages in practices, but Whaley's comments that they plan to have Bush and McCoy in the backfield together at times tells me they won't be using them in games as much. Gronkowski likely brings more ability in the passing game and should do everything Felton can do for much cheaper. Saves money for a Tyrod extension.

POSITION GRADE: D+

WR - Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Dezmin Lewis, Kolby Listenbee, Marquise Goodwin, Marcus Easley

This is a very tough group to project. Early on I thought veteran Greg Little had a shot to lock up a spot, but he hasn't done much after a good start to training camp. Kolby Listenbee may open the season on an injury list (same with Marcus Easley) so we could see one or two spots open to keep guys like Greg Salas, Walter Powell or Little. But this is my projection for the 53-man roster once everybody is healthy. Watkins is one of the best in the game and Woods is a decent compliment, but they have zero depth.

TE - Charles Clay, Jim Dray, Chris Gragg

Charles Clay could be primed to have a much bigger year if Tyrod truly has improved throwing to the middle of the field. He's got the talent and ability to play up to the huge contract he signed last offseason. Dray has been featured heavily in practice so far, so I think he'll beat out Mundine and O'Leary for that third spot. Gragg has long been expected to breakout as a receiving tight end and has long failed at doing so, but I still like his overall game. I could see him getting cut and the team going with two. Many top teams try to have two talented tight ends so this group doesn't match up with the league's habits.

POSITION GRADE: C+

OT - Cordy Glenn, Jordan Mills, Seantrel Henderson, Cyrus Kouandjio, Chris Martin

I stand firm that it doesn't get much better than Cordy Glenn around the league at left tackle. Getting him locked up long term was probably the best move the team made all offseason. But the right side and depth is still lacking. Mills looked good and bad at times last year, but I think conventional wisdom says it's his spot to lose. The team still seems to like Henderson, but he lost an alarming amount of weight and power due to things beyond his control. If he can pack on some weight and regain strength I'm a big fan of him as a backup tackle on the right side. Kouandjio is on his last leg here, but he could see a HUGE opportunity with Glenn likely out for the preseason. If he plays well he locks up the backup left tackle spot. Martin and Justin Renfrow are likely battling for a possible fifth spot that may not actually exist come cut day. This group still gets a thumbs up from me since the most important position (LT) is elite.

OG - Richie Incognito, John Miller, Ryan Groy

The team should probably find a fourth player for this group. Cyril Richardson was a projected steal by many but hasn't done anything with the time he's been given. I would cut my losses there. Groy has stepped up when both guards and the center have stepped out of reps this training camp so I expect the team to rely heavily on him for inside depth. Incognito was one of the best guards in the league last year and I see no reason to expect he won't do the same this season. Miller struggled mightily at times, but he's been impressing so far and the coaching staff is confident most struggles were just adjusting to the pro life. The right side of the o-line will need him.

POSITION GRADE: B-

C - Eric Wood, Fernando Velasco

I'd be very satisfied with this. Wood has been able to stay healthy the last few years after several years with serious injuries. If he gets hurt Velasco is a veteran who has started and played well before. Velasco can also shift to guard if needed so he helps provide further depth to a thin position.

DE - Adolphus Washington, Kyle Williams, Corbin Bryant

Washington has gotten starter reps from day one and will likely start games the same way. As a third-round pick he may be the only rookie to have an immediate impact anywhere on the club this season. Kyle Williams and Corbin Bryant will likely fight for the third d-line spot with Marcell Dareus locking up the middle. It's tough to grade this group until we know more about Washington, but I'm a big fan of the pick there. Kyle should have another year in him and Bryant can take over if that's not the case.

POSITION GRADE: B-

DT/NT - Marcell Dareus, Jerel Worthy

Dareus didn't have a great year last year and maybe he's another player to sit on his money. But if he puts his mind back on the field and buys into the system then he'll return to elite form quickly. Worthy has taken a lot of reps so far and looked good in the practice I attended. Decent depth there. TJ Barnes could steal a spot here.

OLB - Jerry Hughes, Shaq Lawson (INJ), Manny Lawson, IK Enemkpali, Lorenzo Alexander

I expect Lawson to start the year on the PUP which will give plenty of chances to Enemkpali and Alexander. Jerry Hughes still had a very good year last year despite the personal fouls. I expect him to continue that and hopefully he finally gets rewarded with a Pro Bowl nod. This is a strong group once S. Lawson gets healthy. M. Lawson is extremely versatile and gets some strange hate among some corners of Bills fans.

ILB - Preston Brown, Reggie Ragland (INJ), Zach Brown, Brandon Spikes, Randell Johnson

Preston Brown had a very good rookie year then probably flatlined moreso than taking a step back like many fans thought. I expect him to become the true leader of the defense this year and am very excited to have Brandon Spikes back to give him some pointers. Spikes will hopefully be able to assist in run stuffing. I'm excited by the idea of Zach Brown getting an expanded role here and think he could be a better version of Nigel Bradham. A ton of this could depend on how long Ragland is out, though. He was supposed to take care of a ton in the middle right away so that's a big downer. Regardless, he was still going to be a rookie so the veterans they have behind him should be able to handle the duties. Johnson is still intriguing to me. He needs to step up or walk away.

CB - Stephon Gilmore, Ronald Darby, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Kevon Seymour, Corey White, Sterling Moore

I don't know that there's a better group of corners from one to three (and maybe four if Seymour plays well right away). Darby could play at the level he played his rookie year for his entire career and that'd be good enough, so if he takes a step forward he'll be named among the elite consistently. Gilmore is still the better corner and it's yet to be seen how his contract situation impacts his play. He's already elite and battles with some of the best consistently. Robey-Coleman has a new last name, but I hope he has the same "small corner, big play" mentality. I love watching him work the middle of the field as such a small guy. Moore and White were good depth additions.

POSITION GRADE: A

S - Aaron Williams, Corey Graham, Robert Blanton, Corey Anderson

We're lucky to have Williams around after the scary injury he took last season. He's a solid safety that you can live with playing in the middle of your defense for several years as long as his injury doesn't impact him still. Graham really struggled in the transition to safety after looking very good as a corner so I'm very happy to see Blanton and Anderson brought in. Graham can still make big plays, but I could see the team giving Blanton a try if Graham struggles early.

K - Dan Carpenter

He had a miserable year after looking great in his first year as a Bill. I was really hoping to see legitimate competition brought in for him, but it looks like they'll give him another shot. I think he's got the shortest leash in Buffalo, though. He'll get cut if he gets off to a rough start.

POSITION GRADE: C

P - Colton Schmidt

I was calling on the team to bring in some punter competition last offseason and boy was I wrong. Schmidt had a very good year and continued the tradition of the punter being one of the better featured players on the team. Here's hoping he's a useless sack of meat on the sidelines most of the year.

POSITION GRADE: A-

LS - Garrison Sanborn

YAY FOR LONG-TERM LONG SNAPPERS!

POSITION GRADE: Sure, cool

Yes, there are 56 players listed. Those with (XXX) by their name won't count against the 53-man roster come week one.

I'm also sure we'll see some names not even on the roster right now in the mix by week one. With some solid veterans out there and cuts coming I expect the team to be more active than normal on that front. WR, TE, 3-4 DE and kicker being the spots to watch for.

I'll post my NFL predictions closer to the season.

Edited by Hoss

Lots of A's and B's for an 8-8 team. :devil:

A+ for effort on the write-up, for sure.

The grades did seem a bit inflated when taken as a whole. That slate of grades is a playoff team for sure. I'm not sure they win 8 games this season. But I'll hope you're proven correct.

A+ for effort on the write-up, for sure.

The grades did seem a bit inflated when taken as a whole. That slate of grades is a playoff team for sure. I'm not sure they win 8 games this season. But I'll hope you're proven correct.

I have my eternal Bills fans optimism displayed each August.  To me, this season can turn around with just four improvements:

1.  Defense cuts down on those R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S penalties

2.  Shady and Sammie stay IN the lineup

3.  TT becomes the next Russell Wilson

4.  Special Teams put the Special back in Special teams (place kicking and punt returning)

I think all four would improve this  team by 3 or 4 wins..  Not asking a lot....

I'm all for optimism.

I'm not convinced #1 was as a big a contributing factor to the problems last year as it was made out to be.

On #2, I won't hold my breath.

On #3, I like Taylor and look forward to more progress, but he's just too slight to be the next Wilson. He'll need a whole lot more pocket awareness as well, to get to that level.

#4 is achievable, but, again, I don't think it moves the needle that much.

Thanks everybody. I edited some of the position grades. A few I looked at and was confused how I even graded them that high (like safeties). Probably a more realistic projection now.

In some cases I gave the group a higher grade purely because they have starters who are very gold with a history of staying healthy.

^

Good stuff, Hoss.

I think I'm much more in agreement with the revised grades. With one exception: YOU KNOW DAMN WELL OUR SAFETIES GRADE OUT AS A B-, NOT A C+. :P

Even though you're kidding the safety spot could be a position of real worry. It's yet to be seen how Aaron Williams plays after a near career-ending injury and Graham was bad last year. We added good depth but Anderson isn't a starter and Blanton is TBD as a starter. We'll see.

Even though you're kidding the safety spot could be a position of real worry. It's yet to be seen how Aaron Williams plays after a near career-ending injury and Graham was bad last year. We added good depth but Anderson isn't a starter and Blanton is TBD as a starter. We'll see.

Fair.

I have many areas of concern when it comes to Rex & Co. However, getting good-to-great play out of their safeties seems to be something they've done reliably well.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.