GDT: Buffalo @ Boston, 7:00 pm edt, 2-6-2016

WildCard

I don't think Lehner was focused. IMO, any move Marchand could make was going to work.  

I think this is a fair observation given his level of anger immediately after the game was over. I think he was pissed off from the moment the ref called a penalty on Risto. 

GO SABRES!!!

Could the official wave off the PS goal if the Sabres challenged right after on the illegal glove?

Apparently not, given the logic behind this portion of the stick measurement rule:

A request for a stick measurement in regular playing time is

permitted, including after the scoring of a goal, however, a goal cannot

be disallowed as a result of the measurement. A request for a stick

measurement following a goal in overtime (including one scored on a

penalty shot in overtime) is not permitted. Stick measurements prior to

or during the shootout are permitted, subject to the guidelines outlined

in 10.7.

A "complaint" regarding a glove is allowed.

Apparently not, given the logic behind this portion of the stick measurement rule:

A "complaint" regarding a glove is allowed.

What is the advantage to a bare palm? Is it mainly a way to clutch and grab in a stealth fashion or are there other advantages like stick control on penalty shots?

Also what is an officials responsibility in making the call? Is he obligated to call a penalty is he becomes aware of a bare palm or illegal curve, or only when the opposing team challenges?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

What is the advantage to a bare palm? Is it mainly a way to clutch and grab in a stealth fashion or are there other advantages like stick control on penalty shots?

Also what is an officials responsibility in making the call? Is he obligated to call a penalty is he becomes aware of a bare palm or illegal curve, or only when the opposing team challenges?

I asked someone who plays hockey. They had no clue about the advantage. Called it "dangerous" though.

Since the glove rule is in the book, I am guessing it is the refs' responsibility to call it if seen. As for the illegal curve, that's not nearly as cut and dry.

You got it right. Blame a Maple Leaf.

http://mapleleafslegends.blogspot.ca/2008/03/carl-brewer.html?m=1

Here's a somewhat contrary view:  I liked the PS call.  I thought Risto grabbed Marchand with both hands, pulled him back and then shoved him -- and if Risto hadn't done so, Marchand would've had an unimpeded breakaway.  A PS is supposed to be called when the defender commits a foul to break up an unimpeded breakaway -- so it was the right call IMHO.

Having said that, I also think the McGinn play should've resulted in a PS.

Separately:

- That was a great hockey game.

- Lehner is looking more and more like the real deal.  He's playing great and I loved the way he was breathing fire after the game.

- As for whether he should've made the save on Marchand -- there's a reason Kotalik scored pretty much every time in the shootout on the high backhand:  it's pretty freaking hard to do, and it's pretty freaking hard to stop.

- As noted upthread, Larsson-Kane-Gionta has become a heckuva 3rd line.  They seem to hem the opposition in on the forecheck better than any other Sabres' line.  They also have increased the general Sabres-watching entertainment factor, as each of the top 3 lines is legitimately interesting now.

- Moulson got another shot to play with good scorers, taking Foligno's spot with Eichel and Zemgus, and did zero with it.

- I liked Bogo-Pysyk again.

- Boston was the better team and had many more scoring chances than the Sabres, but the Sabres got very good goaltending and a few fortunate breaks to stay in it -- and they didn't give up or shrink a-tall from the physical game.  They have heart and maybe now they have goaltending; they need more finish.

All in all, I was encouraged and thoroughly enjoyed the game. 

Well, if that had been Eichel streaking in and getting grabbed by a Bruins defenseman, would anyone here have felt a PS was not justified (leaving the McGinn non-call out of it)?

I didn't think the McGinn call or the Marchand call were penalty shots. And I would've laughed if they would've given it to us. It certainly wasn't justified.

Well, if that had been Eichel streaking in and getting grabbed by a Bruins defenseman, would anyone here have felt a PS was not justified (leaving the McGinn non-call out of it)?

You can't simply take the McGinn non-call out of it. Same game, same officials, same or worse level of foul on McGinn.

I didn't think the McGinn call or the Marchand call were penalty shots. And I would've laughed if they would've given it to us. It certainly wasn't justified.

How in the world can you say McGinn shouldn't have been a penalty shot? What do you need to see?

Except Marchand wasn't grabbed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.