GDT: Buffalo @ Boston, 7:00 pm edt, 2-6-2016

WildCard

Well, if that had been Eichel streaking in and getting grabbed by a Bruins defenseman, would anyone here have felt a PS was not justified (leaving the McGinn non-call out of it)?

Don't confuse referee obligation with fan bias.

GO SABRES!!!

I didn't think the McGinn call or the Marchand call were penalty shots. And I would've laughed if they would've given it to us. It certainly wasn't justified.

I was relieved when McGinn wasn't aware a PS. Thought we had much better chance of scoring on the PP. Such is my confidence in our shootout skills.

GO SABRES!!!

Well, if that had been Eichel streaking in and getting grabbed by a Bruins defenseman, would anyone here have felt a PS was not justified (leaving the McGinn non-call out of it)?

Nope.  It wasn't a grab.

And good point on referee obligation vs. fan bias, K-9.

Edited by Eleven

I appreciate the partisan support here gentlemen.  Still, Marchand is past Risto, who has no stick (which of course is another part of the story), Risto puts one hand on Marchand's hip and another on his leg and pulls Marchand back to him, at which point Risto shoves him.  I don't think the shove was a penalty, but the pull-back was.

I appreciate the partisan support here gentlemen.  Still, Marchand is past Risto, who has no stick (which of course is another part of the story), Risto puts one hand on Marchand's hip and another on his leg and pulls Marchand back to him, at which point Risto shoves him.  I don't think the shove was a penalty, but the pull-back was.

Sorry man, don't see the pull-back.

Sorry man, don't see the pull-back.

There was no pull back but I could see how that ref, given his positioning on the ice, could have called that, because his left hand was on his hip,... but he called hooking. :blink:

You just can't defend this call.

I appreciate the partisan support here gentlemen. Still, Marchand is past Risto, who has no stick (which of course is another part of the story), Risto puts one hand on Marchand's hip and another on his leg and pulls Marchand back to him, at which point Risto shoves him. I don't think the shove was a penalty, but the pull-back was.

The penalty shot was awarded for hooking. By a guy whose stick was not in his hands. It was a garbage call.

Another thing that I don't think has been mentioned yet is that even if Risto's "hold" was a real infraction, it didn't take a shot/scoring chance away from Marchand. It was Lehner's poke check that did that. Marchand otherwise would have gotten a scoring chance. I really don't think any PS argument can be made on that play.

Another thing that I don't think has been mentioned yet is that even if Risto's "hold" was a real infraction, it didn't take a shot/scoring chance away from Marchand. It was Lehner's poke check that did that. Marchand otherwise would have gotten a scoring chance. I really don't think any PS argument can be made on that play.

It's a fine line though. Even if a player doesn't lose a shot/chance, if he loses a MORE REASONABLE shot or chance, the penalty shot can still be called. Alas, no.  Just no.

So Risto is a huge tease.

Great, Frazier explains why a HOLDING penalty should have been called. Glad he cleared up the confusion over why hooking WAS called.

GO SABRES!!!

I didn't see the play live and there's no video of what the ref announced. Did he say hooking? Or holding and someone from the NHL misheard?

Who am I to tell Fraser he's wrong (yeah, right), but since when is it legal to knock the stick out of someone's hands? If it wasn't a upward slash in the first place...

I didn't see the play live and there's no video of what the ref announced. Did he say hooking? Or holding and someone from the NHL misheard?

Who am I to tell Fraser he's wrong (yeah, right), but since when is it legal to knock the stick out of someone's hands? If it wasn't a upward slash in the first place...

The penalty call is in the NHL boxscore for the game.  It was officially recorded as hooking.

Edit:  Nevermind.  I see now you are questioning if the penalty was recorded incorrectly.

Edited by We've

As long as we're diving into the rule book, are you allowed to take your hand off your stick and arm bar someone so they can't gain position? I always thought that that was viewed as holding.

I'm softening on the slash after watching it again. Marchand kinda loses the puck behind behind him and just lifts the stick of Risto to make sure he gets it back. Maybe if Risto didn't have palms in his glove either he could have held onto it.

Marchand lifted Risto's stick, which is perfectly legal. It was a sneaky good play by the Rat. Risto should've been gripping his stick tighter, but I thought he made the best of the play after that. He pushed the Rat a bit and the ref thought he was grabbing him? Lame.

But what are you going to do?

The armbar is practically how Jagr made his living.

Edited by qwksndmonster

It's possible, I suppose. But how often does the official scorer sitting rinkside get it wrong when the ref is giving him both a verbal call as well as the non-verbal referee's signal for that penalty? 

GO SABRES!!!

Edited by K-9

It's possible, I suppose. But how often does the official scorer sitting rinkside get it wrong when the ref is giving him both a verbal call as well as the non-verbal referee's signal for that penalty?

GO SABRES!!!

I have both verbal and non-verbal things to communicate to the ref.

I agree with this, if penalties were called fairly and impartially against both teams.  That does not seem to be the case.    You mentioned Eichel....Remember in the previous Boston game one of the Boston D guys had poor Jack just about in a bear hug and had him bent double at the waist and he didn't even have control of the puck - somehow such a blatant penalty wasn't called by the blind as a bat officials.  

- but this was.     It seems like by coincidence the penalty calls always seem to favor Boston;  maybe I'm just being a homer?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.