GDT: Buffalo at Minnesota, 8 PM ET 1/12/2015

Doohickie

Have we seen examples of luck trumping skill yet?

Almost every game. A sea of one goal games decided by a lucky deflection (e.g., Risto's point shot last night that found its way through). Every team in the league basically plays .500 hockey, with a few exceptions like Washington and Dallas and Columbus. If you get the bounces you win, if not you lose. The only factors that seem to really matter are quality of goaltending (a "bad" goal is a killer in today's game) and special teams play (this is where offensive skill can win out). Otherwise, the 5-on-5 game is a game is pretty much a stalemate.

Almost every game. A sea of one goal games decided by a lucky deflection (e.g., Risto's point shot last night that found its way through). Every team in the league basically plays .500 hockey, with a few exceptions like Washington and Dallas and Columbus. If you get the bounces you win, if not you lose. The only factors that seem to really matter are quality of goaltending (a "bad" goal is a killer in today's game) and special teams play (this is where offensive skill can win out). Otherwise, the 5-on-5 game is a game is pretty much a stalemate.

I'm refering to teams getting into the playoffs undeserving.  Can't say I've seen that yet.

I'm refering to teams getting into the playoffs undeserving.  Can't say I've seen that yet.

Not really, since the bounces average out. But that's point, I think, going into each game thinking "I hope the lucky deflection through a screen goes our way tonight" sucks compared to "I hope our guys can out-skate and out-shoot the opponent".

I'm refering to teams getting into the playoffs undeserving. Can't say I've seen that yet.

Happens every year, but it's limited to 1-2 teams. Just off the top of my head: Florida making it a few years back, Colorado two years ago, Calgary last year with LA missing. Colorado and Calgary rose ridiculous percentages in, Florida lower pointed their way in, and LA was unlucky in shootouts.

Happens every year, but it's limited to 1-2 teams. Just off the top of my head: Florida making it a few years back, Colorado two years ago, Calgary last year with LA missing. Colorado and Calgary rose ridiculous percentages in, Florida lower pointed their way in, and LA was unlucky in shootouts.

Were they really more undeserving than the team that missed out though?

I believe so, yes. When a team goes from playoffs to top pick (Florida) or drops 30 points in a year (Colorado), it's my opinion they didn't really deserve to make it on a talent and quality of play basis.

In that given year, the team that missed out was no better.  Not luck.

I don't recall what changed with Florida, but didn't Colorado's drop occur after walking away from Statsny?  I'd say that drop was change in personnel related, not because they lucked into the playoffs the previous season.

Edited by We've

In that given year, the team that missed out was no better. Not luck.

We will have to agree to disagree.

In that given year, the team that missed out was no better. Not luck.

I don't recall what changed with Florida, but didn't Colorado's drop occur after walking away from Statsny? I'd say that drop was change in personnel related, not because they lucked into the playoffs the previous season.

You really think Paul Stastny is worth 10 spots in the standings? Varlamov came out of nowhere to win the Vezina and a year later his save percentage dropped back towards his career average. Luck.

While I'm at it...

Last year, every single team in the league other than Arizona had a winning record when scoring first in a game (including the hapless Sabres). This year every team has a winning record when scoring first other than Vancouver (.500 when scoring first). Conversely, every team in the league has a losing record when the other team scores first except Dallas (.500) and the Kings (.500).

The recipe for most teams seems to be to score first then pack it in defensively the rest of the way. I think that's exactly what we saw last night. Does this make for an exciting brand of NHL hockey? All a matter of opinion, I guess. I'll go to games and watch on TV regardless.

We will have to agree to disagree.

You really think Paul Stastny is worth 10 spots in the standings? Varlamov came out of nowhere to win the Vezina and a year later his save percentage dropped back towards his career average. Luck.

Colorado won the Central the season prior to Stastny moving to StL.  That isn't lucking into a playoff spot a more deserving team should have gotten.  Those happen to the 7-8 seeds.  And my whole point was, does any just miss team deserve to be in more than an 8 seed?  They are generally so close you can't really argue one more deserving than another.

Edited by We've

In that given year, the team that missed out was no better.  Not luck.

I don't recall what changed with Florida, but didn't Colorado's drop occur after walking away from Statsny?  I'd say that drop was change in personnel related, not because they lucked into the playoffs the previous season.

I believe so, yes. When a team goes from playoffs to top pick (Florida) or drops 30 points in a year (Colorado), it's my opinion they didn't really deserve to make it on a talent and quality of play basis.

The Panthers that would  the division were a bunch of fill ins while they kicked off their rebuild. He the team was gone the next year. That's why. It's not like the team that won the division was the same team that finished last. 

Calgary making it last year and LA missing is the perfect example. LA lost something like 15 OT games whereas Calgary was just a statistical anomaly. Meanwhile the rosters barely change (if anything Clagary's got much better) and yet LA is dominating and Calgary paddling 

Colorado won the Central the season prior to Stastny moving to StL. That isn't lucking into a playoff spot a more deserving team should have gotten. Those happen to the 7-8 seeds. And my whole point was, does any just miss team deserve to be in more than an 8 seed? They are generally so close you can't really argue one more deserving than another.

If Colorado winning the division on the back of a career year from Varlamov and some crazy shooting percentages, followed by missing the playoffs, isn't an example of having a lucky season I don't know what is. Sure they lost Stastny, but their young stars were a year older and they added Iginla. We're just on totally different planes of perspective here.

The Panthers that would the division were a bunch of fill ins while they kicked off their rebuild. He the team was gone the next year. That's why. It's not like the team that won the division was the same team that finished last.

I articulated my point poorly. Florida capitalized on a really weak division by playing suffocating hockey to squeeze games into OT for a point. So they earned it in a sense, but it was also the product of significant luck (the division having a putrid season). Regardless of roster turnover, repeating that season would have resulted in missing the playoffs the following season.

If Colorado winning the division on the back of a career year from Varlamov and some crazy shooting percentages, followed by missing the playoffs, isn't an example of having a lucky season I don't know what is. Sure they lost Stastny, but their young stars were a year older and they added Iginla. We're just on totally different planes of perspective here.

I articulated my point poorly. Florida capitalized on a really weak division by playing suffocating hockey to squeeze games into OT for a point. So they earned it in a sense, but it was also the product of significant luck (the division having a putrid season). Regardless of roster turnover, repeating that season would have resulted in missing the playoffs the following season.

Not different perspective.  Different context.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.