GDT: Buffalo at Minnesota, 8 PM ET 1/12/2015

Doohickie

9-9-2 on the road this season. If our home record was better than five games below .500, we'd be in the playoff chase...

We are in the playoff chase. Unlikely as it may be, I do not rule it out. Yet.

I watched the game but I missed most of the posting here because I had to get some work done, so I had the game on while I worked.  Great first period, a fluky goal in the second, and a late desperation goal by Vanek that proved to be too little, too late.

I really liked that the whole team was moving.  I think we'll be seeing Zemgus/Jack/Samson on a line together for years to come.  Not all the time perhaps, but when the team needs to bear down and get'r done, that's a pretty great line to do it.  They didn't get the goals this game but they dominated at times.  They are all well suited to each other and fit together well.  Jumping Jack has the Flash, the Latvian Locomotive pushes the play, and Samson smooths down all the rough edges and makes the line work like a well-oiled machine.  With Jack and Samson, Girgs skates with the reckless abandon we loved in him last year.

Oh, and....

Edited by The Big Johnson

Saxed from Buffalo sabres twitter:

" Mike Sinsabaugh ‏@RoyIsGod33 1 hour ago

@BuffaloSabres No disrespect to Lehner or Johnson, but THIS kid could very well be the FUTURE for the Sabres.. that future should start NOW! "

Could not agree more.

I agree. But I don't think he's the present. Let him mature in the AHL once Lehner's back, and he and Lehner can duke it out next year.

Thoughts before reading the thread:

• Kane and Bogo were both good tonight. Game after Winnipeg. Coincidence?
  • We scored early and often on a screened point shot, a rebound, and a deflection off a point shot. Has that happened all year?
  • It's amazing what an early lead can do to improve your outlook when watching. Especially after the six games before Winnipeg.
  • Baby bison line looked good at times. With the O'Reilly line being strong defensively and the Larsson unit looking like a real checking line, we might see more of this.
  • Ennis Moulson and Legwand as a fourth line? Last year that was easily was our first.
  • Anyone think there is a chance Franson sits for Pysyk? Weber has been steady and Bylsma has a lot of patience for good Americann kids like McCabe.
  • Ullmark looking better than he has in a month.
  • Risto's crosscheck on Parise in the last minute was positively Pronger-like.
  • Crappy, crappy crappy second. Give then full credit for regrouping and completely bottling them up in the third.
  • I like wins.

M4_Sherman_composite_leyte.png

I lol'ed.

• Risto's crosscheck on Parise in the last minute was positively Pronger-like.

Risto displays a scary nasty disposition on occasion. I like that.

Very funny GDT derivative on the Wild HF Boards  http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=2011685 

From the end of that GDT:

Don't want to overreact, but losing to NJ and Buffalo at home makes it pretty difficult not to.

Just watched the first:

I'm one of the bigger Kane critics here but when he is on, he is on. It gives you hope that he can weave his immense individual skill set into the team game. Taylor Hall, with a similar forceful high-skill game, has done just that this year, and is a point per game player.

Is there anything more enjoyable than Eich and Sam cycling the puck? The two are yin and yang in style, but man is it fun to watch them develop together. I don't have kids but I understand the true joy of fatherhood.  

Bogosian is a neanderthal on skates, all broad shouldered and hunched. He's mostly solid in the defensive zone but man is he awful on the pinch. Not too gifted offensively. 

Is there anything more enjoyable than Eich and Sam cycling the puck? The two are yin and yang in style, but man is it fun to watch them develop together. I don't have kids but I understand the true joy of fatherhood.

Don't leave Zemgus out it.  When he skates with Jack and Samson, he looks like the Latvian Locomotive of last year.  Skating with them is helping him get his groove back.

Yepp!

Allthough, i have found my new team in Buffalo Sabres, and this is the only team i cheer for with laughs and tears by now.

I have never felt any connection to an NHL team before, other than teams with former MODO Hockey players, today i do.

So for me and Ullmark, yes, for me and Buffalo Sabres, definitely not the last ride for a very long time ahead.

Much because of you guys. :wub: :worthy:

This community, this team, has deep deep sigh's over the years, but this is a new chapter for sure, if not this season, next will be with this core of players.

GO SABRES!

Awesome post.

When this season is done I have a feeling we're going to look back and view the Winnipeg game (in particular, the pass to Reinhart) as the turning point in his season.

Completely agree.

Don't have much more to say in regards to this game that hasn't already been said in this thread. Great first, held together, good win. Team building road-trip, I think.

Two straight wins and we're still 2nd from the bottom of the NHL standings, yet fewer than 10 points out of a playoff spot.

I'm not sure I like how the league standings have become condensed by the 3-point games coupled with the defensive style of play that rewards lucky bounces over skill. But, that's life in Bettman's vision of the NHL.

Two straight wins and we're still 2nd from the bottom of the NHL standings, yet fewer than 10 points out of a playoff spot.

I'm not sure I like how the league standings have become condensed by the 3-point games coupled with the defensive style of play that rewards lucky bounces over skill. But, that's life in Bettman's vision of the NHL.

This was what they wanted. A league where the season wasn't decided at the halfway point. 

This was what they wanted. A league where the season wasn't decided at the halfway point. 

Yeah, they were all about keeping every team in the playoff race deep into the season. I get it, but I just think it gets to a point where luck is more deterministic than skill, which is what I don't like to see.

Yeah, they were all about keeping every team in the playoff race deep into the season. I get it, but I just think it gets to a point where luck is more deterministic than skill, which is what I don't like to see.

Have we seen examples of luck trumping skill yet?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.