Sources: BU hockey gambling scandal involves former players

PASabreFan

My bet.

If Mr Eichel ever found out that Jack was doing something so stupid, the NCAA would be the last thing Jack would be worried about.

Have you read Patrick O'Sullivan's essay on Players Tribune?

Anyway, my bet is that Eichel's Mom would be the one who'd lay the emotional wood, were Eichel implicated.

Local media is being a bit funny about this. The Die by the Blade blog Tweeted that Sabres not involved in BU scandal. When you click to the webpage, it says Sabres not part of BU investigation. When you click to the linked article, it's Vogl's piece where an Assistant AD is giving the quote above.

I've not seen anything unequivocally clearing any former BU players. Yet local media seems eager to get that message out there.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Actually I expected you to implicate the Pegula's somehow. Pavlovian response.

Right. Because anyone who has criticized Terry must be paranoid, suffer from an overactive imagination or be downright crazy. Terry's an awesome sports owner. Things are going well. Nothing to see here. Go back to sleep.

Because if any Sabres fan reads the article, the logical first thought would be "Gee, I hope Jack isn't involved."  Better to get it out on the table.  If we can prove he had no involvement, great, get that news out in a thread.  If we don't think he was, but maybe he was, then it's worthy of discussion.

My first thought was, "don't care."

Anyway, my bet is that Eichel's Mom would be the one who'd lay the emotional wood, were Eichel implicated.

Local media is being a bit funny about this. The Die by the Blade blog Tweeted that Sabres not involved in BU scandal. When you click to the webpage, it says Sabres not part of BU investigation. When you click to the linked article, it's Vogl's piece where an Assistant AD is giving the quote above.

I've not seen anything unequivocally clearing any former BU players. Yet local media seems eager to get that message out there.

You've been communing with GoDD's force ghost, haven't you? :p

You've been communing with GoDD's force ghost, haven't you? :P

Yes, because bringing a story like this to light, discussing its possible effects on our hockey team and exploring whether the media is giving us the whole story is... cray cray!!!!!!!

This garbage gets real old, real fast.

Yes, because bringing a story like this to light, discussing its possible effects on our hockey team and exploring whether the media is giving us the whole story is... cray cray!!!!!!!

This garbage gets real old, real fast.

And don't forget how I alluded to the matter of whether and to what extent Jack Eichel had hockey parents who would lay the lumber on him, so to speak.

For my part, I took the jab as something of an homage to the good that GoDD brought to the board. Maybe that wasn't the intent, but that's how I took it.

Boston Globe offers this:

Several people familiar with the situation told the Globe that Roberto and a small number of former BU players bet on sports contests last season.

The Globe has not determined the amount of money involved nor confirmed the names of other players who allegedly bet on games. The other players were said to have left the school before the BU officials became aware of the allegations.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/12/21/hockey-player-off-team-amid-gambling-allegation/S2w1CHdh7EVwIoSpT6QErN/story.html#comments

So, a couple of tweaks to what's been reported elsewhere:

(1) "small number" could = 2. Could mean more than 2.

(2) Moreover, this report says that the other players involved left the school before the allegations came to light this summer/fall -- not just that they're no longer with the school's hockey program.

I don't know, it would be nice to have GoDD going all out to convince us Eichel was involved; it is right up his alley. Especially for a player he didn't show much affection for in the first place.

GO SABRES!!!

How strange that I had the exact same thought. I have this vision of him yelling at the sky KHAAAANNNNNNN-style that he got banned just a handful of days before this broke.

well, the sources have been resolute that there was no betting of any kind on any hockey at any level.

But gamblers gamble, no?

I wonder if that's what Greg W. at Puck Daddy was slyly getting at:

They also saw star center Jack Eichel and goalie Matt O’Connor leave for the pro ranks, having played (notably poorly) in their last game for BU in their championship game loss to Providence.

But gamblers gamble, no?

I wonder if that's what Greg W. at Puck Daddy was slyly getting at:

I didn't take it as sly, so much as a bit of wild clickbaity borderline defamatory speculation.

I generally expect better of him, tbh.

And I say that as someone who's more than a little curious about who these former players are ... and am sort of half wondering if the Easily Crimsoned one could be among them.

And don't forget how I alluded to the matter of whether and to what extent Jack Eichel had hockey parents who would lay the lumber on him, so to speak.

For my part, I took the jab as something of an homage to the good that GoDD brought to the board. Maybe that wasn't the intent, but that's how I took it.

Bingo. It was "Drane done right" if you will. The research, questions, insight...without the, ahem, "style."

Yes, and better part of the summer trying to familiarize myself with Jack Eichel.

I was not implying a closed hand beat down from Mr. Eichel. Mr Eichel in my mind would make sure Jack told the truth, took his punishment and would not skirt his responsibilities to his team, family and friends.

You theorized a Mother emotional guilt trip (AKA in this neck of the woods as a Catholic guilt trip) and I believe that to be true. She would have Jack  hand writing letters to anyone that knew him apologizing for his behavior (completely basing this off of my personal experience).

The NCAA (if there was any involvement) would have a closed door meeting, a nice short statement written by Jack's attorney, then hide for a couple weeks from the press. I'm not sure that is owning up or taking responsibility if there was involvement that would be acceptable by the Eichels. I'd take the NCAA route, bypass Mom and Dad any day.

I assumed correctly it seems to me, that most regulars on SS understood my one sentence of the fear of Mr. Eichel by Jack is that of disappointment. The most common fear in a loving family relationship. Maybe I assumed to much.

Yes, and better part of the summer trying to familiarize myself with Jack Eichel.

I was not implying a closed hand beat down from Mr. Eichel. Mr Eichel in my mind would make sure Jack told the truth, took his punishment and would not skirt his responsibilities to his team, family and friends.

<>

I assumed correctly it seems to me, that most regulars on SS understood my one sentence of the fear of Mr. Eichel by Jack is that of disappointment. The most common fear in a loving family relationship. Maybe I assumed to much.

I apologize. I apologize for reading something into your comment that wasn't there. No doubt, was influenced by just listening to O'Sullivan on the Jim Rome Show.

Good stuff above, btw.

Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.