Sources: BU hockey gambling scandal involves former players

PASabreFan

Boston University junior forward Nick Roberto, who has not played this season due to a team-imposed suspension, will not play for the remainder of this season, College Hockey News has learned.

According to several sources, Roberto's suspension is the result of gambling activity he participated in during last season. Sources indicate that Roberto was not the only BU player involved, though those players are no longer with the hockey program.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2015/12/21_bus_roberto_suspended_for.php

So, could Jack be in trouble for this if he did participate? Like take him away from the ice trouble? 

FWIW, the NFL suspended Terrelle Pryor for several games after he violated NCAA rules regarding the sale of merchandise. Seemed to me at the time that the NFL basically imposed the same punishment on Pryor that the NCAA would have, had Pryor stayed in college and not gone pro.

Two former BU players, per a source who's Tweeting about it.

Allegations against BU forward Nick Roberto are very serious and have been floating around rinks for months. Also involves 2 fmr Terriers.

7:57 AM - 21 Dec 2015

How many graduated last year? Given how high profile Eichel was, I'd be amazed if we're hearing this now

Two, it appears.

A seldom-played goalie named Moccia and Eichel's linemate and current Amerk Rodrigues.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/roster/boston-university/mens-hockey/2014-2015/

My bad - there was also a guy by the name of Hohmann.

Looks like he was a significant player.

And glossing a bit more, it looks like there are players who didn't graduate who were nonetheless not rostered this year -- including at least two classmates of the guy who was suspended from the team (names appear to be Duane and Ryan -- same year as Roberto).

Edited by That Aud Smell

I mean, I started the thread for the obvious reason. But there is no way in his one season of college hockey before entering the NHL that Eichel had anything to do with gambling. 

This confuses me.

The likely former players appear to be the guys who were the same year as Roberto (sophomores last year), but who were apparently not brought back to the team at all this season.

This confuses me.

The likely former players appear to be the guys who were the same year as Roberto (sophomores last year), but who were apparently not brought back to the team at all this season.

Players on last year's team who are "no longer with the program." That's pretty cut and dry. Just compare the rosters. See Puck Daddy.

Players on last year's team who are "no longer with the program." That's pretty cut and dry. Just compare the rosters. See Puck Daddy.

I'm not sure it is.

From Puck Daddy:

CHN reports the gambling happened last season. Here’s the roster for this season. Here’s the roster for last season. The team lost three seniors from that team roster. They also saw star center Jack Eichel and goalie Matt O’Connor leave for the pro ranks, having played (notably poorly) in their last game for BU in their championship game loss to Providence.

I also remain a little confused why you'd post this, while at the same time thinking NFW Eichel got mixed up in this.

There are 11 players from last year's roster who are not on this year's roster. Could some still be "with the program"? I don't know why Puck Daddy is mentioning only lost seniors and Eichel and O'Connor.

My opinion doesn't seem relevant. Someone else was going to post it anyway.

I also remain a little confused why you'd post this, while at the same time thinking NFW Eichel got mixed up in this.

Because if any Sabres fan reads the article, the logical first thought would be "Gee, I hope Jack isn't involved."  Better to get it out on the table.  If we can prove he had no involvement, great, get that news out in a thread.  If we don't think he was, but maybe he was, then it's worthy of discussion.

Because if any Sabres fan reads the article, the logical first thought would be "Gee, I hope Jack isn't involved." Better to get it out on the table. If we can prove he had no involvement, great, get that news out in a thread. If we don't think he was, but maybe he was, then it's worthy of discussion.

Fair deuce. Thanks, fellas.

Was about to post a BOOM, but the article is more equivocal than your hyperlink text, I think.

A BU official says only Roberto at issue and all else is speculation. Not exactly putting a kibosh on talk of 2 other former Terriers involved.

“The only investigation that took place was focused on Roberto,” Assistant Athletic Director Brian Kelley said Monday night in an email to The Buffalo News. “Any involvement of Eichel or other former players is speculation at this point."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.