Sources: BU hockey gambling scandal involves former players

PASabreFan

First thing I thought of.

Hard to speculate if Eichel is involved. Him and Rodrigues were linemates, but were they close friends? How much was this common knowledge on the team? Were they betting on their games or other team's games? I'd imagine they'd have better odds of winning if they bet on their own games.

How many players on the Sabres knew about Vanek's gambling? Anybody here have any insider anecdotes on that? Most of the players are off the team now. 

The reports on BU have been uniform in saying there was no wagering on any hockey.

And the NCAA is so strict, this could be as simple as having a pay-in NFL fantasy football league.

Maybe not the most likely scenario, but ... .

It's a slippery slope though. These are broke NCAA players.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to say "Hey, I can bet on Phil Mickelson to win the British Open with 10:1 odds, OR I can get a group of my teammates to bet on our own games and practically guarantee a loss". 

Hmm. Maybe.

It's also a huge leap to go from recreational wagering to throwing games.

I'll also add that, NCAA hockey players, as a cohort, probably have more spending cash on-hand than a lot of other student athletes. Hockey families in America tend to have resources.

Hmm. Maybe.

It's also a huge leap to go from recreational wagering to throwing games.

I'll also add that, NCAA hockey players, as a cohort, probably have more spending cash on-hand than a lot of other student athletes. Hockey families in America tend to have resources.

All true. But the biggest, most hardcore gamblers I've ever met when I was a college student were at Williamsville East/Clarence parties, not in Buffalo, if you know what I mean. 

But we don't know what kind of recreational wagering was going on. Does it say anywhere there was simple recreational wagering? 

Is betting and running a rigged gaming ring acceptable to the people of the greater Boston area? It must have some form of communal support in order for it to continue for years. This also falls in line with the local populace's thinking the Patriots never cheated. Sad.

Forget the Pats.

They kept on electing Kennedy after Kennedy.

Is betting and running a rigged gaming ring acceptable to the people of the greater Boston area? It must have some form of communal support in order for it to continue for years. This also falls in line with the local populace's thinking the Patriots never cheated. Sad.

The Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins....all champions in the last 10 years. They've even managed to take one of our own and turn him into a Super Bowl champion. 

Do I need to bring up the M word?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.