Trade Suggestion: Johansen Traded to Preds for Seth Jones

wjag

I would assume that they would start with pick your poison: Ristolainen or Reinhart.  It doesn't make a lot of sense to be honest.  We're good on center's as is right now.  It would only make sense if they're looking at quantity over quality.  I for one am not ready to fork over a number one defensemen or Reinhart unless John Tavares is coming back.    

Tortorella is going to ruin that team. Columbus made a huge mistake hiring him and they'll make an even bigger one when they listen to him.

He's the worst coach in the league since Keenan and even then I might take Keenan.  He's already ruined them.  Calling out the veterans, alienating the young talent.  Parading his in-house issues around with his goal post of a mouth.  I'm so thankful he was not even brought in for an interview.  Not to take into place the fact that in Vancouver he did not properly assess the talent base and coach with what he had.  Instead he put in place an ancient NHL system that doesn't work with their roster construction and forced them to be one of the worst run teams in recent history.  

Edited by TheCerebral1

The future Sabres' infuriatingly underachieving line: Moulson-Johansen-Gionta   :ph34r:

I would assume that they would start with pick your poison: Ristolainen or Reinhart.  It doesn't make a lot of sense to be honest.  We're good on center's as is right now.  It would only make sense if they're looking at quantity over quality.  I for one am not ready to fork over a number one defensemen or Reinhart unless John Tavares is coming back.    

I agree with this.  Columbus is going to want a huge haul for Johansen and he's not worth it in my opinion.  They are also in no rush financially or contractually to move him.  He's signed relatively cheaply through next season and then he's still an RFA after that.

Save any trading assets we have left for a position of need such as LHD and RW.

Will take us a 1st rounder + ennis or kane. Not a good trade for a rebuilding team. Coming to think of it they might ask for bogo.

It'll take more than that, even though our first rounder is suddenly becoming very valuable.

This is a trade I would wait until the offseason to consider. If we get beyond the lottery and end up with pick three or four I might call up Columbus to talk about it.

I'm not arguing for tanking, but there's also no way I'm giving up our 1st for anything less than a young stud LHD or RW who is signed long term.

Johansen has played a bunch of RW and could instantly be our first-line RW. He's got one more year and then will be an RFA so we still control him. He's due for a hefty raise regardless of what Torts says.

That said, I'm fine with arguments against getting him. He's been one of my favorite players since he burst onto the scene, but I don't know how often you can be at the top of the league relying heavily on a guy who consistently comes to work out of shape. That worries me.

This team is in desperate need of good wingers (on both sides because Kane is our only "true" top-six LW and who knows where his case goes). Reinhart is our only solid RW but we do have prospects (Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching) who are somewhat close to getting shots in the NHL. McGinn, I hope, is here to stay. He's been playing maybe his best hockey of his career so far here and really fits with O'Reilly.

Girgensons is going to have to bounce one way or the other soon and I'm not longer interested in even having Ennis around.

Johansen has played a bunch of RW and could instantly be our first-line RW. He's got one more year and then will be an RFA so we still control him. He's due for a hefty raise regardless of what Torts says.

That said, I'm fine with arguments against getting him. He's been one of my favorite players since he burst onto the scene, but I don't know how often you can be at the top of the league relying heavily on a guy who consistently comes to work out of shape. That worries me.

This team is in desperate need of good wingers (on both sides because Kane is our only "true" top-six LW and who knows where his case goes). Reinhart is our only solid RW but we do have prospects (Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching) who are somewhat close to getting shots in the NHL. McGinn, I hope, is here to stay. He's been playing maybe his best hockey of his career so far here and really fits with O'Reilly.

Girgensons is going to have to bounce one way or the other soon and I'm not longer interested in even having Ennis around.

It's the combination of these two things here that really worries me. If he already has work ethic issues, what happens when he gets a 7 year contract? Not sure I want to fire the last of my trade bullets on that guy.

He's a "concept?" Averaged 30-33-63 in his age 21 and 22 seasons. On pace for nearly 60 points this season despite being a fatass.

Let's at least be fair.

He's a concept as a franchise player, which you seem to pegging his value at.

He's been asked to play that role by Columbus and has thus far yet to deliver.

I don't think you've read anything I've said recently on Johansen. My valuation of him has wavered. But he's a very very good young player.

If Johansen is even remotely available I would take a shot at him. We have a need for talent.

At what cost though? If I'm Columbus I don't trade him to Buffalo for anything less than either Reinhart or Ristolainen and if I'm Buffalo I reject those offers. Maybe there's a chance Murray can get him for a collection of lesser pieces but I doubt it. I would definitely see what the asking price is though. The fact that he's young, has a solid production history, and he's a right hander in our endless sea of southpaws in definitely intriguing.

At what cost though? If I'm Columbus I don't trade him to Buffalo for anything less than either Reinhart or Ristolainen and if I'm Buffalo I reject those offers. Maybe there's a chance Murray can get him for a collection of lesser pieces but I doubt it. I would definitely see what the asking price is though. The fact that he's young, has a solid production history, and he's a right hander in our endless sea of southpaws in definitely intriguing.

I'm all about kicking tires. I have no idea what Columbus would want. 

I'm all about kicking tires. I have no idea what Columbus would want. 

Oh I agree. It never hurts to ask and if Columbus backs Tortorella over Johansen then he could definitely be moved, I'm just not sure I'm willing to pay the price and I highly doubt Ennis + gets it done. I was just curious to see what you'd be willing to give up. I think Kane is probably the best player I'd be willing to part with for him (no on Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen, and O'Reilly) and I'd be willing to add a sweetener but I doubt that gets it done.

Oh I agree. It never hurts to ask and if Columbus backs Tortorella over Johansen then he could definitely be moved, I'm just not sure I'm willing to pay the price and I highly doubt Ennis + gets it done. I was just curious to see what you'd be willing to give up. I think Kane is probably the best player I'd be willing to part with for him (no on Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen, and O'Reilly) and I'd be willing to add a sweetener but I doubt that gets it done.

If Torts is involved in any decision making there, I look at energy/blood n guts guys, as trade bait. Zemgus comes to mind. 

That's part that worries me.  ROR wanted to be the guy, so he comes to Buffalo and in 3 short months is the guy.  We all know who the next Captain and the heart of the team is. My concern with RJ is that he wishes he was the guy instead of working to be the guy. Also the hell are we gonna do with another C/RW? 

Another thing is we are short on assets and need a LHD but we want to go spend those assets on Johanson... idk just think we could use our assets elsewhere, for instance the Florida Panthers are going to want to make some noise in the playoffs, can we pry one of their young LHD free for a rental?

That's part that worries me.  ROR wanted to be the guy, so he comes to Buffalo and in 3 short months is the guy.  We all know who the next Captain and the heart of the team is. My concern with RJ is that he wishes he was the guy instead of working to be the guy. Also the hell are we gonna do with another C/RW

Another thing is we are short on assets and need a LHD but we want to go spend those assets on Johanson... idk just think we could use our assets elsewhere, for instance the Florida Panthers are going to want to make some noise in the playoffs, can we pry one of their young LHD free for a rental?

There is one guy on the Sabres that's a RW, Gionta (and a sizeable portion of the people here want him to retire). Only other forwards that shoot right are Eichel, Reinhart, and McCormick. Handedness isn't the end-all of being a forward, but he wouldn't be "another C" as long as he's fine with playing wing.

Edited by MattPie