Trade Suggestion: Johansen Traded to Preds for Seth Jones

wjag

The reason I disagree is that in the prospect pool you have Baptiste, Bailey, Olofsson, and Fasching as your top 4 RW prospects.  For defensive prospects we have maybe Ghule in 3 or 4 years.  If I am trading it isn't for a RW, it is for a LHD because it is more of a need as far as depth on the team goes, depth in system goes, and I think a top paring LHD is harder to acquire than a top 6 RW.

The reason I disagree is that in the prospect pool you have Baptiste, Bailey, Olofsson, and Fasching as your top 4 RW prospects. For defensive prospects we have maybe Ghule in 3 or 4 years. If I am trading it isn't for a RW, it is for a LHD because it is more of a need as far as depth on the team goes, depth in system goes, and I think a top paring LHD is harder to acquire than a top 6 RW.

You didn't specify top-six RW vs top-pairing LHD, though. If we're targeting the type of players we have the ammo to acquire I'd rather target a RW, because, as you said, they're easier and cheaper to acquire.

But even "top-pairing" and "top-six" aren't fair comparisons. If we're talking a TRUE top-pairing LHD then I would ask "would you rather have a true top-pairing LHD or a true top-line sniper on the RW?"

Both of those are very difficult to acquire. Both would be expensive unless somebody sells low on a young player. I would love to get a legitimate defender to pair with Risto on the top pairing and think that's an important focus going forward, but this team is still hurting for difference-making wingers. It's a need and hopefully won't be an "either-or" ultimatum going forward.

You didn't specify top-six RW vs top-pairing LHD, though. If we're targeting the type of players we have the ammo to acquire I'd rather target a RW, because, as you said, they're easier and cheaper to acquire.

But even "top-pairing" and "top-six" aren't fair comparisons. If we're talking a TRUE top-pairing LHD then I would ask "would you rather have a true top-pairing LHD or a true top-line sniper on the RW?"

Both of those are very difficult to acquire. Both would be expensive unless somebody sells low on a young player. I would love to get a legitimate defender to pair with Risto on the top pairing and think that's an important focus going forward, but this team is still hurting for difference-making wingers. It's a need and hopefully won't be an "either-or" ultimatum going forward.

Have to agree RW top line is the most pressing need for this team, the question for me is it easier to draft RW and trade for LHD and or can a top flight LHD be found in lower 1st round early 2nd if Sabres give up trade forward say Ennis for late 1st pick.

Lots of highly rated D in this draft

Edited by North Buffalo

I think it is easier to draft wingers than top defenders but I could be wrong.  I would rather have a true top LHD then a true top RW.  Part of that reason is Eichel. I think you could pair a 2nd line RW with jack and get top line production.  I don't think this team is missing difference maker wingers, I think that this team just hasn't found it's groove.  If the centers we have aren't able to produce with the wingers we have then honestly we have a problem with our centers.  Our wingers are decent if we really look at them. 

Have to agree RW top line is the most pressing need for this team, the question for me is it easier to draft RW and trade for LHD and or can a top flight LHD be found in lower 1st round early 2nd if Sabres give up trade forward say Ennis for late 1st pick.

Lots of highly rated D in this draft

I am glad there are lots of highly rated d in this draft because our prospect depth at defense is basically non-existent

I think it is easier to draft wingers than top defenders but I could be wrong. I would rather have a true top LHD then a true top RW. Part of that reason is Eichel. I think you could pair a 2nd line RW with jack and get top line production. I don't think this team is missing difference maker wingers, I think that this team just hasn't found it's groove. If the centers we have aren't able to produce with the wingers we have then honestly we have a problem with our centers. Our wingers are decent if we really look at them.

I do think it's easier to draft wingers than defenders, especially when you've got elite talent in the middle. Defenders aren't as easy to hide as wingers, so you've really got to get good ones on your top pairing to have a shot.

I don't agree that we have good wingers, though. McGinn is, hopefully, going to be a part of our top nine for a while. Other than that? Ennis has been pretty bad this year and has an injury bug. Moulson is clearly on the downslope and isn't doing nearly enough to convince me he'll regain form at any point. Reinhart can develop into an elite winger or center depending on what the future holds for him. Kane is very good and I'm happy to have him, but I'm still hesitant to get too excited about him until we know more about his investigation.

Beyond that we're talking a bunch of guys who do a lot of nothing. Larsson has been a major let down this year. Girgensons could be considered a winger long-term but that's probably only happening if Reinhart moves back to center so you can just swap them out if you want. Foligno is meh.

We need difference makers on the wing. We'll see if Bailey, Baptiste or Fasching can be that anytime soon.

We also have Possler and Carrier as potential wingers going forward.  Again, I we have potential winger depth, but we have 0 defender depth.  If we can trade for a RW by giving up Ennis and a lower pick (4th or later) sure go for it but I worry about using what little assets we have left to bolster the wing when I think this season's major issue has been our suspect defense and gt.

No chance GMTM relies on Carrier, Possler of Olofsson. It'd be extremely lucky if any of them hit.

Those three, Bailey, Baptiste and Fasching are six guys vying for eight spots.

Guys of a similar caliber on d vying for six spots are Martin, Borgen, Guhle and Florentino. So the depth is similar with defense having more long shots but a similar number of bodies.

No chance GMTM relies on Carrier, Possler of Olofsson. It'd be extremely lucky if any of them hit.

Those three, Bailey, Baptiste and Fasching are six guys vying for eight spots.

Guys of a similar caliber on d vying for six spots are Martin, Borgen, Guhle and Florentino. So the depth is similar with defense having more long shots but a similar number of bodies.

I don't think those sets of players compare to be honest.

I'm not at all impressed with what Carrier, Bailey, or Baptiste have been doing in Rochester.  I wouldn't count on any of them becoming a top 6 winger at this point.  Until one of those guys breaks out, we got nuthin in the system on the wing.

I'm not at all impressed with what Carrier, Bailey, or Baptiste have been doing in Rochester.  I wouldn't count on any of them becoming a top 6 winger at this point.  Until one of those guys breaks out, we got nuthin in the system on the wing.

Fasching, but maybe as a 2nd line guy.

Fasching, but maybe as a 2nd line guy.

This.  I think Fasching has the best shot of being a top 6 winger.  Right now we don't have any surefire top 6 forwards or top 4 d in the system.  That's obviously due to the recent promotion of Reinhart, Eichel, McCabe and Pysyk.  We've got a very good young core but they've all graduated to the big club.  Our answer for immediate help (as in next year) is not in our system today.  Maybe it ends up being Puljujarvi in a few months  :ph34r:

This.  I think Fasching has the best shot of being a top 6 winger.  Right now we don't have any surefire top 6 forwards or top 4 d in the system.  That's obviously due to the recent promotion of Reinhart, Eichel, McCabe and Pysyk.  We've got a very good young core but they've all graduated to the big club.  Our answer for immediate help (as in next year) is not in our system today.  Maybe it ends up being Puljujarvi in a few months  :ph34r:

Oh no, we end up winning the draft lottery and taking Austin Matthews.

Buffalo will never get that lucky. I would sign up for 3rd overall.  After watching those Fins in the WJC, holy :censored: those two prospects look good.

And people think we have too many top line centers now.

Would I be wrong for wanting one of the Finnish guys more than AM?

Absolutely. As good as the Finns are, Matthews was NHL ready last year and is as close to a sure thing as you can get. The only benefit to Laine and Pool-Party is a few inches and later birthdays.