Trade Suggestion: Johansen Traded to Preds for Seth Jones

wjag

Agreed with the undervaluing of our players........My best example of this is how many people hated Brian Campbell on this board......Very solid NHL defensemen that most people here couldn't trade quick enough

or even guys like Bryan Flynn who is flourishing in Montreal

Johansen should fetch slightly more than O'Reilly...

Disagree. It could happen, but it shouldn't.

Johansen is a better talent, but he is nowhere near O'Reilly's focus and consistency.

O'Reilly is a better hockey player and is only two years older.

One is on team Canada's radar while the other is not for good reason.

or even guys like Bryan Flynn who is flourishing in Montreal

Eh...he looks very similar to the player he was here. 8 points in 33 games. I thought Soupy was pretty well liked near the end of his Sabres tenure. He was traded because Darcy didn't think he was a 7 million dollar player. Turned out Darcy was right.

Eh...he looks very similar to the player he was here. 8 points in 33 games. I thought Soupy was pretty well liked near the end of his Sabres tenure. He was traded because Darcy didn't think he was a 7 million dollar player. Turned out Darcy was right.

Is that want Cambell wanted back then, $7 mil? That's a ton of money back then

Flourishing might not be the right word.  My point, he was viewed as a borderline NHL/AHL player here and yet he made the Habs roster and is playing in the NHL

Edited by wjag

Like Johansen, but this is basically where I am. His value is similar to Kane's, plus you would add for the fact he is a centre.

Or maybe slightly less than the price for OReilly.

In a perfect world Columbus is also definitely going to want a centre coming back.

They also already have a lot of good young players in the system, I'm not sure the usual three-youngster package gets it done.

Vancouver is the team that should be pushing hard for Ryan.

I also like the idea of blockbuster with Edmonton: Johansen for Nugent-Hopkins, with adds from both sides

So Ennis as the centerpiece works, right? ;)

I could be remembering the dollars wrong. It may have been $5 million. Think we all chuckled at the 50 he got.

My memory is with yours ink, it was a ridiculous amount. It was definitely a figure to make him one of the highest paid defense-men at the time.

Well, that's what we where led to believe anyway.

My memory is with yours ink, it was a ridiculous amount. It was definitely a figure to make him one of the highest paid defense-men at the time.

Well, that's what we where led to believe anyway.

Darcy had everyone believing this .

Disagree. It could happen, but it shouldn't.

Johansen is a better talent, but he is nowhere near O'Reilly's focus and consistency.

O'Reilly is a better hockey player and is only two years older.

One is on team Canada's radar while the other is not for good reason.

Absolutely agree. Not a good fit for our roster, in any event.

Would you rather have Ryan Johansen or Matt Duchene?

Coin flip. I think they're pretty equivalent in what they bring, even if they go about it differently. I'd probably take Duchene right now, but that's mostly because he's cost controlled for longer.

Agreed with the undervaluing of our players........My best example of this is how many people hated Brian Campbell on this board......Very solid NHL defensemen that most people here couldn't trade quick enough

If memory serves me correctly it was due to the money Campbell was expected to demand and eventually got. He is a good defenseman, he never even came close to living up to the contract he got. 

Duchene

Coin flip. I think they're pretty equivalent in what they bring, even if they go about it differently. I'd probably take Duchene right now, but that's mostly because he's cost controlled for longer.

I love Johansen, but I think this ones pretty damn close. They're both very similar ages. Duchene has a deeper history of success/production and is producing far better this season... But Johansen doesn't have guys like Landeskog, MacKinnon and, formerly, O'Reilly to play with/take pressure off.

• 2 weeks later...

Torts is gonna move someone..  You can feel it coming..

"Let's call a spade a spade," Tortorella said on Sunday before a 3-2 loss to the Panthers via Shawn Mitchell of the Columbus-Dispatch. "It's embarrassing, and that's what we are. I'm not going to tip-toe around here. That's how we play right now, and I think I'm going to need to depend on the kids to get us out of this because I'm not getting squat from the top players as far as that stuff."

He didn't stop there, saying he sees a team that is "mentally weak" and that he worries about the young kids on the team getting into bad habits by watching other people.

"It's frightening to me. That has to change," he added.

At the center of the frustration for Tortorella is the number of penalties the team takes, including five against the Lightning on Saturday in a game where the Blue Jackets gave up four consecutive goals to turn a 2-1 lead into a 5-2 loss. Two of those penalties belonged toScott Hartnell, including a five-minute major and a game misconduct for charging goalieBen Bishop behind the net.

Hartnell was benched by Tortorella earlier this season after he took a bad penalty late in another game. Ryan Johansen, one of the most productive players in the NHL over the past three years, was also a recent a healthy scratch.

Tortorella went on to say that 21-year-old forward Alex Wennberg has been the team's best player of late and that some of the veterans could learn from the younger guys on the team, even if that concerns him because it should be the other way around.

Edited by wjag

Columbus just isn't good. Look at their roster, it's Johansen, Saad, and a whole bunch of highly paid role player and washed up old guys thrown in for good measure. They need to fire everyone.

Lather, rinse, repeat for the last 16 years.  No wonder no one in Columbus cares about them.  They are stuck in no man's land.  They can never compete and they can't afford to do a huge rebuild.  If the voters ever get a rightful chance to vote on whether the Jackets should be bailed out with public funds, the team's existence in Columbus will be in serious jeopardy.

Lather, rinse, repeat for the last 16 years.  No wonder no one in Columbus cares about them.  They are stuck in no man's land.  They can never compete and they can't afford to do a huge rebuild.  If the voters ever get a rightful chance to vote on whether the Jackets should be bailed out with public funds, the team's existence in Columbus will be in serious jeopardy.

Now that Ohio State has hockey, how is the following?  And do you think it ever will be a bigger deal than the Blue Jackets?

Now that Ohio State has hockey, how is the following?  And do you think it ever will be a bigger deal than the Blue Jackets?

I don't hear much about it (OSU hockey), but I'm sure it's fairly cheap entertainment. Columbus is basically Buckeyes football and everything else.  Buckeyes basketball is probably next on that list, but a distant 2nd as far as sports go.  The Blue Jackets are pretty much ignored here, so if OSU hockey does well I think it could surpass the Jackets in popularity.  Plus there's the Cavaliers, Bengals, and even the Browns, Indians, and Reds are more popular.  There's so much to do in Columbus, the surrounding suburbs, Cleveland, Cincinnati, etc. that it is tough for something as historically poorly run and performing as the Blue Jackets to gain any momentum.  The 2 times they've made the playoffs have been fairly quick exits and a horrible start to the next year that kills any possible momentum.  Plus the shady way that they've been propped up has not endeared them to the general public and it's not exactly cheap entertainment to attend a game.

My prediction is that someday sooner or later there will be no NHL in Columbus once the public can achieve a chance at a judgment in the political shenanigans that have taken place.