Trade Suggestion: Johansen Traded to Preds for Seth Jones

wjag

I'm interested. I have a fondness for Penticton and Kelowna.

Interesting articles on Johansen and Torts.

Torts and Vinny

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ryan-johansen-healthy-scratched--what-s-end-game-with-tortorella-203217767.html

Columbus President John Davidson and Johansen

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/12/18/blue-jackets-president-davidson-doesnt-exactly-quell-johansen-trade-speculation/

Regarding Johansen v. Ennis: The pluses and minuses are different. I read about lazy passes leading to turnovers with Johansen where with Ennis I see more erratic play at a frenzied pace leading to the same turnovers. Everything's coach able..

I think it comes down to Torts v. GMTM. Who's more likely to be successful making the correction, tough love Torts or astute team builder GMTM/DB? I'd like to see a talented finisher alongside our young centers. Ennis is a creator. We may not need that as much as a finisher.

It also comes down to need in another context. LHD for Ennis, anyone? If that's in GMTM's back pocket, Ennis stays for now.

I'd listen long and hard to Ennis and Foligno or Ennis and a second or Ennis and a prospect not named Baptiste, Bailey, Guhle, Compher or Fasching.

Ennis is what he is. I like him. I feel I know his ceiling. Johansen's may be higher.

Geography stereotyping - what say you, Dudacek?

Edited by N'eo

Edit:

After comparing stats, I'd give them Foligno and a pick too...  

I love the idea of the Sabres adding Johansen, I just can't see the Jackets giving him up for a package built around Ennis. Giving up a 6'3" 30 goal scorer for a 5' 9" 20 goal scorer just doesn't seem like good value. Foligno at this point is nothing more than a fourth line throw-in. You would have to include a player like McCabe or Pysyk along with some healthy picks like a 1st and 3rd or a couple of 2nds with Ennis and Foligno. If I'm the Jackets GM I want full value which is NHL ready players, prospect and picks.   

I really don't see how Ennis and Foligno get you Johansen. Maybe I don't value our guys enough. I also think a center has to be going the other way. No one wants to trade 90, 23 or 15 so I guess it's 28? Maybe Ennis, Girgensons, Foligno for Johansen and Connauton? Just throwing it out there...

I love the idea of the Sabres adding Johansen, I just can't see the Jackets giving him up for a package built around Ennis. Giving up a 6'3" 30 goal scorer for a 5' 9" 20 goal scorer just doesn't seem like good value. Foligno at this point is nothing more than a fourth line throw-in. You would have to include a player like McCabe or Pysyk along with some healthy picks like a 1st and 3rd or a couple of 2nds with Ennis and Foligno. If I'm the Jackets GM I want full value which is NHL ready players, prospect and picks.   

I hear you..  sometimes I am amazed how we underestimate trade value.  Torts doesn't like him and has made him a healthy scratch.  My guess is he has achieved 'cancer' status in Columbus.  This might not be as hard as it seems.

Edited by wjag

I hear you..  sometimes I am amazed how we underestimate trade value.  Torts doesn't like him and has made him a healthy scratch.  My guess is he has achieved 'cancer' status in Columbus.  This might not be as hard as it seems.

He is only 23. Compare that price to the price the Sabres paid for a 23 year old Evander Kane, two NHL players, two prospects and a 1st round pick. Is Ennis and Foligno comparable to Myers and Stafford value wise? That would determine the mix prospects and picks you would need to add.      

The Sabres need someone who plays Ennis's role.  So while I don't hate the trade idea (and throw Foligno in there by all means), I do wonder who the scrappy winger who can score from anywhere is going to be if Ennis goes.

Speaking of whom, this board is pretty down on him lately and I wonder why.

He is only 23. Compare that price to the price the Sabres paid for a 23 year old Evander Kane, two NHL players, two prospects and a 1st round pick. Is Ennis and Foligno comparable to Myers and Stafford value wise? That would determine the mix prospects and picks you would need to add.

So Bogosian was free?

Considering Nick Foligno's progression through the years, Marcus may have more value in trade than we expect. A top 6 winger, a solid bottom 6 guy that MAY be a diamond in the rough, and a lottery ticket for Matthews could be close to value for a "team cancer." Really depends on how much 28 other teams are willing to part with for giving him a change of scenery.

So Bogosian was free?

Considering Nick Foligno's progression through the years, Marcus may have more value in trade than we expect. A top 6 winger, a solid bottom 6 guy that MAY be a diamond in the rough, and a lottery ticket for Matthews could be close to value for a "team cancer." Really depends on how much 28 other teams are willing to part with for giving him a change of scenery.

I'm not giving up Ennis, Foligno, and a first.  No way.  They can have a third.  Or a first in 2018 or something.

So Bogosian was free?

Taking on Bogosian's contract was part of the price the Sabres had to pay. 

I don't agree with this at all. GMTM wasn't going to trade Myers without a top 4 defenseman coming back.

Having said that, I generally agree that Ennis and Foligno isn't going to get it done. The Sabres would need to include something like Pysyk, McCabe or Zemgus.

I also agree that next year's #1 is off the table.

It's going to take a lot more than Ennis, Foligno and a pick.

Agree that to get a young pro of this quality, it'd likely take a value comparable to Ennis (McCabe?), Girgs, and a pick.

I'm with Eleven, though. The 2016 first should be retained if at all possible.

My general philosophy on fan trade proposals is find the compensation where you finally say "I wouldn't do that", and start from there…

Which is fine.  IMO, they don't need Ryan Johansen badly enough to put a big package together.  The Sabres have three quality centers for the future at this point.

I don't agree with this at all. GMTM wasn't going to trade Myers without a top 4 defenseman coming back.

Having said that, I generally agree that Ennis and Foligno isn't going to get it done. The Sabres would need to include something like Pysyk, McCabe or Zemgus.

Agreed, our #1 should be off the table.........I think no big trades need to get done until the summer and that could be avoided by a free agent signing or two.

It's going to take a lot more than Ennis, Foligno and a pick.

I don't think we're in the position or need of Johansen then. I would love to have him, but we have a similar if not better player in ROR, and already have a ton of centers. We need some actual scoring wingers now IMO

So it was Kane for Myers, Stafford, Lemieux, Armia, a 1st, & acceptance of Bogosian's & Kasdorf's contracts? :huh:

:lol:

Not saying that that is what I'd give up for him (not saying it isn't either - haven't really thought about how much value he'd bring to the Sabres as the roster is currently set up, which is what would determine his value to Buffalo), just that it isn't as far out of ballpark as has been insinuated. And your unwillingness to make that trade furthers that belief.