Trade Suggestion: Johansen Traded to Preds for Seth Jones

wjag

Unless GMTM has spoken with Samson/ROR and they've agreed to play wing for the foreseeable future, I'm not sure this really works. Joey doesn't see like seem like the type of player who is okay moving to the wing, and his respond (or lack thereof) from playing LW earlier this year backs that up. He also dealt with some heart issues this summer that some speculate could still be affecting his play. 

With all of that being said, if he can be had cheap then I'm all for it and let the pieces fall into place afterwards. 

I don't agree with this at all. GMTM wasn't going to trade Myers without a top 4 defenseman coming back.

Having said that, I generally agree that Ennis and Foligno isn't going to get it done. The Sabres would need to include something like Pysyk, McCabe or Zemgus.

I also agree that next year's #1 is off the table.

So it was Kane for Myers, Stafford, Lemieux, Armia, a 1st, & acceptance of Bogosian's & Kasdorf's contracts? :huh:

:lol:

Not saying that that is what I'd give up for him (not saying it isn't either - haven't really thought about how much value he'd bring to the Sabres as the roster is currently set up, which is what would determine his value to Buffalo), just that it isn't as far out of ballpark as has been insinuated. And your unwillingness to make that trade furthers that belief.

Murray may have wanted a d-man in return, IMO, Evander Kane does not become a Buffalo Sabres unless Bogosian's contract comes with him. 

Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I think Columbus wouldn't trade him for anything less than one of our "core four" of the future, ROR, Samson, Risto, Jack. I think they can get a defenseman around Risto's level for Johansen from a team like Nashville that's starving for a stud center.

Depends on how desperate Tortorella is to get rid of him, really.

I totally agree with those saying we aren't in a position where we need to go get him. I love Johansen and would give up a lot for him, but my "a lot" wouldn't be enough and that's fine. Big fan and I hope he goes somewhere that sees him as the "franchise"-type number one center.

So just so I get the gist of this, we want to give up a boatload of depth and picks/potential to take on a guy who is being benched for lazy play and is a cancer? Isn't that why we got rid of the old core? I'll hang up and listen.

So just so I get the gist of this, we want to give up a boatload of depth and picks/potential to take on a guy who is being benched for lazy play and is a cancer? Isn't that why we got rid of the old core? I'll hang up and listen.

*change of scenery*

blah, blah, blah ...  ;)

And could be something as simple as he doesn't want to play for Torts...  It happens..

And could be something as simple as he doesn't want to play for Torts... It happens..

The word "want " is what scares me. A player making that kind of coin and looking for more should want to play for anyone on any given night. He is a talent no doubt, but I don't see the fit at this point in time.

Edited by 3putt

I haven't heard this about Johansen from anyone other than Torts, who is a megalomaniac 

I'd much rather trade for an offensively-minded left-shot defenseman who isn't slow as dirt like Franson.  Center isn't a need right now.

The Preds seem like a possible dance partner. Anyone on the farm worth a test drive?

The Preds seem like a possible dance partner. Anyone on the farm worth a test drive?

David Poile keeps saying he won't trade Seth Jones.  And, Weber, Josi, and Matty Ekholm aren't going anywhere.  He might consider moving Ryan Ellis (?), but he is a right-shot guy.  We could probably get Anthony Bitetto on the cheap (left-shot)... but he isn't great in his own zone from what little I've seen of him.

David Poile keeps saying he won't trade Seth Jones.  And, Weber, Josi, and Matty Ekholm aren't going anywhere.  He might consider moving Ryan Ellis (?), but he is a right-shot guy.  We could probably get Anthony Bitetto on the cheap (left-shot)... but he isn't great in his own zone from what little I've seen of him.

I don't understand how you can invest that much in 4 d-men, no matter how good they are. The Hawks have proven you can get away with 2 studs on different pairings

Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I think Columbus wouldn't trade him for anything less than one of our "core four" of the future, ROR, Samson, Risto, Jack. I think they can get a defenseman around Risto's level for Johansen from a team like Nashville that's starving for a stud center.

This is where they start. It's going to be painful. I'd have a hard time moving any of them unless there is more than Johanson coming back.

I don't understand how you can invest that much in 4 d-men, no matter how good they are. The Hawks have proven you can get away with 2 studs on different pairings

Hjarlmarson (sic) and Oduya were pretty good too. We'll see how they do without Johnny. I think 4 is about right.

Hjarlmarson (sic) and Oduya were pretty good too. We'll see how they do without Johnny. I think 4 is about right.

I think you need some adequate guys in there, like Gorges or Oduya, but Jones projects as a top pairing, and Josi and Weber are in the top 7 in the league (Josi may be the best in the league, at least top 5)

Edited by WildCard

The Preds d-men are all signed long-term except for Seth Jones.  And, all besides Shea Weber have very favorable cap hits.

The Hawks pretty much only play 4 d-men and 3 lines.  That works great as long as everyone stays healthy.

That's endemic on this forum.  We worry about their warts when they hit the trading block.  We think in terms of "is that enough to get rid of them?" 

Agreed with the undervaluing of our players........My best example of this is how many people hated Brian Campbell on this board......Very solid NHL defensemen that most people here couldn't trade quick enough

I don't think we're in the position or need of Johansen then. I would love to have him, but we have a similar if not better player in ROR, and already have a ton of centers. We need some actual scoring wingers now IMO

Like Johansen, but this is basically where I am. His value is similar to Kane's, plus you would add for the fact he is a centre.

Or maybe slightly less than the price for OReilly.

In a perfect world Columbus is also definitely going to want a centre coming back.

They also already have a lot of good young players in the system, I'm not sure the usual three-youngster package gets it done.

Vancouver is the team that should be pushing hard for Ryan.

I also like the idea of blockbuster with Edmonton: Johansen for Nugent-Hopkins, with adds from both sides