Did the NHL put the screws to the Sabres schedule?

SDS

Paul Hamilton thinks so...

On WGR this morning Dr. Hamilton suggested that the NHL went out of their way to mess with the Sabres schedule as a possible punishment for the last two years. He offered as evidence the west coast trips where it is normal to play Edmonton and Calgary one after the other and LA/Anaheim. However, the NHL uncharacteristically snuck in Vancouver in between Edmonton and Calgary and San Jose in between LA and Anaheim. Also the 8 games in 14 days is more grueling than a playoff schedule and they play every other night...

He mentioned that unless you actually "live it" it doesn't get noticed from the fans POV.

I have not verified his claims that those trips are always scheduled in that manner...

On WGR this morning Dr. Hamilton suggested that the NHL went out of their way to mess with the Sabres schedule as a possible punishment for the last two years. He offered as evidence the west coast trips where it is normal to play Edmonton and Calgary one after the other and LA/Anaheim. However, the NHL uncharacteristically snuck in Vancouver in between Edmonton and Calgary and San Jose in between LA and Anaheim. Also the 8 games in 14 days is more grueling than a playoff schedule and they play every other night...

He mentioned that unless you actually "live it" it doesn't get noticed from the fans POV.

I have not verified his claims that those trips are always scheduled in that manner...

Never trust and always verify Paul. He claimed one of the offside challenges lasted five minutes and it was 2:20. He wings things.

If the NHL really did this, then,… meh.

They (Sabres) deserved it.

That seems to be his hot button topic as he was complaining about it last week as well.

The format for the road trips seems a little odd, but it seems that instead of 3 game western swings like they are this year that there were fewer longer trips in the past.

Conspiracy theories sell & if this is the best he can come up w/, well, at least he's trying.

My guess is that the Sabres requested shorter road trips and the bouncing around was necessary to make that fit into the overall league scheduling.

If the NHL really did this, then,… meh.

They (Sabres) deserved it.

And if we're on the NHL's list to the extent that they're purposely screwing with us, we can all forget about those dreams of drafting in the top 3 no matter what our final place in the standings are.

FWIW, a quick glance at past schedules gives credence to his claims. When playing both the Oilers and the Flames or the Ducks and the Kings - they are always one after the other. There are times though when one or the other is not on the schedule at all, so they just play the one and move on to the next game.

So maybe more of a titty twister?

Again, I bet it is much more noticeable on the plane than behind the computer.

It's an hour and a half flight to Vancouver from Edmonton. Bettman didn't send them to Siberia. Edm to Vanc to Calg (two days off before the Calgary game) vs. Edm to Calg to Vanc... like someone said, meh.

This is where my tin foil starts simmering. Paul works for the Sabres flagship station, after all. Now that he's brought it up twice, it starts to reek of something that filtered down from Brandon. Another crappy season, so let's get the fans riled up. The evil NHL empire is always a good villain in Buffalo. Something must explain the record!

I got an even stronger whiff of something during the LA game. Rob and Rick four or five times during breaks were ball washing that game as EXCITING! BLAMMO! FANTASTIC! POW! WHY CAN'T THEY ALL BE LIKE THIS!!!!??? SCHWING!!! It was a good game, but it was a 2-1 game that bores most fans.

The BS is really starting to flow. I wonder if the ticket situation and tepid fan interest have spooked some suits.

(Rob has also been on a "we need more fights, rock em sock em Sabres like the good old days" kick. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some garbage float onshore from the good old bad old days.)

Is this the first conspiracy theory you've met that you don't like? :P

Nope. I like it. See below, junior. Or above.

Edited by pASabreFan

Do other teams have the week long holiday break that we have?

Nope.  Last games prior to Christmas are on Dec 22.  The Sabres last game is Dec. 19.  First game back for the league, and the Sabres, is Dec. 26.

The Leafs only had two games between the fourth and fifteenth. Not necessarily a holiday break, but a substantial break nonetheless. 

I'll chalk this up to... this year is a bit different.

This week seems a bit odd and jammed.  Sat/Mon/Tue/Thu/Sat?  That's a lot of games in a short period of time.

In addition, clearing out the top western teams from the schedule early on and not seeing TB for the rest of the year is also a bit odd.  But The range of GP in the NHL at this point is 33-29 and the Sabres are at 32 along with quite a few others.

It's just an anomaly.

Bring on the conspiracies!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.