Tank 3.0

inkman

Adding elite talent will allow the mediocre talent forced into the top six to move down... So yes, it impacts depth.

I think that the realities of the salary cap are, adding elite talent allows mediocre talent to be moved to other teams.  The tertiary players are going to be young/cheap players, not mediocre talent.

They will soon have enough talent to cover an O'Reilly injury even if they pick 12th, just by virtue of the development of the prospects/players they have plus whatever aquisitions Murray makes going forward.

Exactly. Losing O'Reilly doesn't hurt because of lack of depth. It's not a sign we need to find elite replacements for him should he go down, therefore we need to tank. We already have those pieces in Eichel and Reinhart. It's just that those guys are very young to have the team thrust upon them. We need development, not a tank.

Adding elite talent will allow the mediocre talent forced into the top six to move down... So yes, it impacts depth.

True. And we have that elite center talent here already.

Whether we need to rely on the draft for an elite winger is another question.

I think that the realities of the salary cap are, adding elite talent allows mediocre talent to be moved to other teams.  The tertiary players are going to be young/cheap players, not mediocre talent.

..the tertiary (and quarternary) players on championship teams are not necessarily young or cheap.     Those are spots you can normally fill through FA or trade once you have your top six filled out with your elite core.  

Leafs are in flagrant tank mode, we're not in their league this year.

Let's just play the game and let us finish where we belong. We won't make a heroic run to 9th.

Give their fans the gears whenever you can, they were hard on us last year.

I don't like them but would prefer them winning the lottery over the Oilers.

Leafs are in flagrant tank mode, we're not in their league this year.

Let's just play the game and let us finish where we belong. We won't make a heroic run to 9th.

Give their fans the gears whenever you can, they were hard on us last year.

I don't like them but would prefer them winning the lottery over the Oilers.

Yes they were hard on Sabres fans. Now they are taking a page out of the Sabres tank book and playing the tank game to perfection. Its funny how the Toronta media make it sound like the leafs braintrust invented the way they are tanking.

..the tertiary (and quarternary) players on championship teams are not necessarily young or cheap.     Those are spots you can normally fill through FA or trade once you have your top six filled out with your elite core.

Dog it. I had a GREAT quarternary line set up, and you stole my thunder. :angry:

:p

The first time I heard tertiary I felt as if my whole life changed. There's something about that word that is just so satisfying to me.

I expect you favor "penultimate" as well. 

Here's one you might like:  "uxorious."  (Not a shot, I assure you -- just a good word.)

Very nice.

Yes they were hard on Sabres fans. Now they are taking a page out of the Sabres tank book and playing the tank game to perfection. Its funny how the Toronta media make it sound like the leafs braintrust invented the way they are tanking.

My girlfriend lives in Toronto, and the things her friends are saying about Toronto doing it "the right way" and the "dignified way" makes me want to puke. These were the same people that were calling us a disgrace to the league last year. Leaf fans are some of the most delusional on the planet.

Next year marks the 50th anniversary of the Laffs' last cup win.  Can we get a 1994 Rangers-esque "Sixty-Seven" chant going around the league?  It'd be even more hilarious in October than it was in actual playoff games for the Rags in 94 (note, not even the slightest bit funny, Devils fans).  Especially since actual playoff games for that lot are still a few years off, by any reasonable measure. 

Next year marks the 50th anniversary of the Laffs' last cup win.  Can we get a 1994 Rangers-esque "Sixty-Seven" chant going around the league?  It'd be even more hilarious in October than it was in actual playoff games for the Rags in 94 (note, not even the slightest bit funny, Devils fans).  Especially since actual playoff games for that lot are still a few years off, by any reasonable measure. 

I wouldn't feel comfortable having that chant in our building.

My girlfriend lives in Toronto, and the things her friends are saying about Toronto doing it "the right way" and the "dignified way" makes me want to puke. These were the same people that were calling us a disgrace to the league last year. Leaf fans are some of the most delusional on the planet.

I can't even listen to any Toronto sports talk radio as it makes me want to vomit.  Hypocrites.

You can't pick on a team for not winning a cup in x amount of years if you've never won a cup.

You can't pick on a team for not winning a cup in x amount of years if you've never won a cup.

I may not have been entirely in earnest with this one.

That's what we've been saying about the Bills and Pats for 15 years.

Hahhahaha touché.  But in my eyes Eichel is equivalent to the Bills finally being able to draft a franchise QB.  Leafs don't have their franchise yet but could get it this draft.  They have some other nice pieces they've accumulated over the past few years.

The difference between the Leafs and Sabres has never been close to the Bills and Pats. Both teams happened to slump at the same time. Both teams are seemingly on the upswing at the same time as well. Sabres have a head start, and I think they have more of the pieces in place at this time, but Toronto can seriously improve in the draft this year and in the offseason. I would love a great rivalry again, I want more than just Boston. I want consistently competitive games against division opponents that we love to hate. I want the arena to buzz again. I don't want to look around and see everyone on their phones. I want the "blow Leafs blow" chant back. Hell, update the old clip they used to use in Leafs games and have Lehner using a leaf blower. I want hateful rivalries back more than anything, and I definitely think it's coming. 

Edited by clintwestwood

The difference between the Leafs and Sabres has never been close to the Bills and Pats. Both teams happened to slump at the same time. Both teams are seemingly on the upswing at the same time as well. Sabres have a head start, and I think they have more of the pieces in place at this time, but Toronto can seriously improve in the draft this year and in the offseason. I would love a great rivalry again, I want more than just Boston. I want consistently competitive games against division opponents that we love to hate. I want the arena to buzz again. I don't want to look around and see everyone on their phones. I want the "blow Leafs blow" chant back. Hell, update the old clip they used to use in Leafs games and have Lehner using a leaf blower. I want hateful rivalries back more than anything, and I definitely think it's coming. 

Is leaf blower a euphemism for the Toronto media?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.