Tank 3.0

inkman

Nobody should have anticipated playoffs this year. I braced for another year of missing them. I think they problem is how they are doing it. Bylsma looks lost, the talent on this team should have them hovering around a playoff spot but they are woefully under performing.

Correct.

I'm not convinced Bylsma doesn't have a clue what he's doing... This year was always going to be about mixing and matching and seeing what works. This team is still lacking in talent (moreso than I thought), so it's not like he's playing great players on the fourth line while giving old scrubs big minutes.

I thought early on that guys like Gionta would play important powerplay and other minutes while the younger guys focused on just playing a good 5-on-5 game before they were slowly given more and more responsibility. It hasn't happened as fast as I thought it should, though... So I will give you that.

O'Reilly, Eichel, Reinhart, McGinn, Ristolainen and the goaltenders are all having great years for what we expected from them. McCabe looks like a legitimate NHL defenseman after nearly everybody was saying there's no way he should be playing in the NHL this season. Hell, even Weber has been much better this season. Deslauriers was playing a nice role before getting hurt.

Girgensons, Moulson, Larsson, Gorges, Ennis and Franson have all been disappointing to this point. Lehner (his starting goaltender) has played less than a full game and Bogosian was out for a good chunk of time.

For this team to be winning games it's going to need a bunch of guys who aren't great players to play like they are. Maybe a great coach could get them to do so, but I highly doubt it.

Edited by Hoss

Correct.

And coincidentally two the the younger posters on here.  You guys have all the time and patience in the world for the rebuild to occur.

Hey, Im an old guy and I have no issues at all how this season is going.  I would love for them to be losing 4-3 rather than 2-1 or 3-1 for entertainment value but it is what it is.

Lets not forget its about winning Lord Stanley not about contending for the 8th seed.  I really don't understand the thought that Bylsma looks lost - he has taken over a team that is historically bad and turned them into a competitive team (game to game) without the benefit of a #1 Goalie. 

I'm not convinced Bylsma doesn't have a clue what he's doing... This year was always going to be about mixing and matching and seeing what works. This team is still lacking in talent (moreso than I thought), so it's not like he's playing great players on the fourth line while giving old scrubs big minutes.

I thought early on that guys like Gionta would play important powerplay and other minutes while the younger guys focused on just playing a good 5-on-5 game before they were slowly given more and more responsibility. It hasn't happened as fast as I thought it should, though... So I will give you that.

O'Reilly, Eichel, Reinhart, McGinn, Ristolainen and the goaltenders are all having great years for what we expected from them. McCabe looks like a legitimate NHL defenseman after nearly everybody was saying there's no way he should be playing in the NHL this season. Hell, even Weber has been much better this season. Deslauriers was playing a nice role before getting hurt.

Girgensons, Moulson, Larsson, Gorges, Ennis and Franson have all been disappointing to this point. Lehner (his starting goaltender) has played less than a full game and Bogosian was out for a good chunk of time.

For this team to be winning games it's going to need a bunch of guys who aren't great players to play like they are. Maybe a great coach could get them to do so, but I highly doubt it.

I think you can throw in Kane into disappointing section. Plus u can add Moulson, Ennis, and Girgensons all having their worst offensive output this year and now you have the making of a bottom 5 team.

Kind of sad but I was expecting a lot more from the Sabres this year. Is it on coach Bylsma? Don't know but It's obvious Babcock has done more with less in Toronto.

Hey, Im an old guy and I have no issues at all how this season is going.  I would love for them to be losing 4-3 rather than 2-1 or 3-1 for entertainment value but it is what it is.

Lets not forget its about winning Lord Stanley not about contending for the 8th seed.  I really don't understand the thought that Bylsma looks lost - he has taken over a team that is historically bad and turned them into a competitive team (game to game) without the benefit of a #1 Goalie. 

No. No. NOOOOOO. For the love of God, no. I am going to call this every single time.

I'm not convinced Bylsma doesn't have a clue what he's doing... This year was always going to be about mixing and matching and seeing what works.

Then you're not trying to win. Then it's Tank 3.0. I think you're right, though. I think we're seeing a very subtle tank. People need to start calling it for what it is.

Have the Sabres been disappointing through 41 games? Absolutely.

Can they go .500 the rest of the way? Maybe. I certainly wouldn't bet against it. 

20-20-1= 41 pts and 75 for the season.  If they get there, and you were expecting much more than that out of this season, IMO you didn't have very realistic expectations.

No. No. NOOOOOO. For the love of God, no. I am going to call this every single time.

Then you're not trying to win. Then it's Tank 3.0. I think you're right, though. I think we're seeing a very subtle tank. People need to start calling it for what it is.

If you're so adamant about the first, prove it.

And how is this a subtle tank? Is Murray stashing players in the AHL that don't belong here? Is Byslma benching good players, or giving Eichel/Reinhart 4th line minutes?

No.  If this was the plan, they would have just kept Nolan.

You can't look competitive and have Nolan as your coach

If you're so adamant about the first, prove it.

And how is this a subtle tank? Is Murray stashing players in the AHL that don't belong here? Is Byslma benching good players, or giving Eichel/Reinhart 4th line minutes?

You can't look competitive and have Nolan as your coach

Are you saying this is a subtle tank or isn't a subtle tank?

Because I don't think this team is where Murray wants it.  Again, if a tank were the plan, they would have kept Nolan around.  If Bylsma is here merely for cosmetic reasons, as your last sentence implies, well, that's a subtle tank, innit?

Maybe. Doubt it, though. You can both "not try to win" and "not try to lose" at the same time. It's possible for the results to literally not matter to a franchise for a year while they build.

Okay. If that's what you need, I'll say it. We are witnessing a subtle tank. Feel better?

I will also say that there is a HUGE difference between not trying your hardest to win, and trying your hardest to lose.

Also, that difference is what makes this not a tank.

Are you saying this is a subtle tank or isn't a subtle tank?

Because I don't think this team is where Murray wants it.  Again, if a tank were the plan, they would have kept Nolan around.  If Bylsma is here merely for cosmetic reasons, as your last sentence implies, well, that's a subtle tank, innit?

I'm saying this isn't a tank at all; it can be both not a subtle tank and not a tank. As far as why Byslma's here, would you honestly trust Ted Nolan teaching Pysyk, McCabe, Reinhart, and Eichel, how to play in the NHL?

You either tank or you don't. There is no in between.

Only Claudes deal in absolutes

A tank involves deliberately assembling a roster that is very likely to finish at the bottom of the standings. It is a season long effort with no half measures employed. Many people in this thread are lamenting how disappointing the Sabres are this year, indicating that they believe this roster as assembled is capable of more. That is wholly inconsistent with the definition of tanking.

I'm saying this isn't a tank at all; it can be both not a subtle tank and not a tank. As far as why Byslma's here, would you honestly trust Ted Nolan teaching Pysyk, McCabe, Reinhart, and Eichel, how to play in the NHL?

Only Claudes deal in absolutes

Ok.  So we're saying the same thing and confusing the hell out of one another.

Technically, if this season were a tank, I'd call it an intentional inadvertent tank. My impression of Murray in preseason interviews was that he would welcome a shot at Matthews, and was reluctant to go along with the idea that this team has any chance of being a wild card team.

As much as I wanted this roster to prove him otherwise, and believed it could, I honestly think Murray has this team right where he wants it, although I do not believe Bylsma is his guy.

Technically, if this season were a tank, I'd call it an intentional inadvertent tank. My impression of Murray in preseason interviews was that he would welcome a shot at Matthews, and was reluctant to go along with the idea that this team has any chance of being a wild card team.

As much as I wanted this roster to prove him otherwise, and believed it could, I honestly think Murray has this team right where he wants it, although I do not believe Bylsma is his guy.

Those are antonyms.

I agree with everything except the last part on Bylsma because I honestly don't know one way or the other. Haven't seen much to tell me he isn't. I think GMTM is brilliant and knows exactly what he's doing.

Happy New Year all. Been awhile since I've been here, but thought I'd offer some thoughts.

First off, I don't get to see many games here on the West Coast, but from the games I have seen, the team is far more entertaining than the previous 2 seasons. Their effort is definitely there but the fact is they are still a young squad, looking to gain experience and get better.

They seem to be getting more shots but when the scoring dries up, they are in tough. 

To me, at least, they are working harder, creating more chances, and overall a more entertaining team. It looks like they they still lack the timely goal and timely save, but that will come. They are playing 2 backup goalies. The league is so tight. To me, they are a far better team than before. I'd take the Sabres over Canucks as far as where their teams are in the rebuild. The Canucks two best players are still the Sedins. That is very troublesome. 

I am surprised they are only 3 points ahead of last year's pace, but that's fine. They are on the right track and the pieces are there. Another high pick will not hurt them. As long as they keep growing as a team, the future is very bright and it won't take long. 

I ramble, yes, but bottom line for me is, the team is coming. This isn't a group that has no future to look fwd to. This is a group that is almost right there, and when it all comes together, it's gonna be fun!

Happy New Year all. Been awhile since I've been here, but thought I'd offer some thoughts.

First off, I don't get to see many games here on the West Coast, but from the games I have seen, the team is far more entertaining than the previous 2 seasons. Their effort is definitely there but the fact is they are still a young squad, looking to gain experience and get better.

They seem to be getting more shots but when the scoring dries up, they are in tough. 

To me, at least, they are working harder, creating more chances, and overall a more entertaining team. It looks like they they still lack the timely goal and timely save, but that will come. They are playing 2 backup goalies. The league is so tight. To me, they are a far better team than before. I'd take the Sabres over Canucks as far as where their teams are in the rebuild. The Canucks two best players are still the Sedins. That is very troublesome. 

I am surprised they are only 3 points ahead of last year's pace, but that's fine. They are on the right track and the pieces are there. Another high pick will not hurt them. As long as they keep growing as a team, the future is very bright and it won't take long. 

I ramble, yes, but bottom line for me is, the team is coming. This isn't a group that has no future to look fwd to. This is a group that is almost right there, and when it all comes together, it's gonna be fun!

After that one you should probably post more.

The next few weeks are critical.   If this team can somehow turn it around and make a move in the standings, then he'll probably keep his hands off for the most part until the draft.   However, if they continue down this road I expect many more moves to be made come the deadline.    That was his approach last season... gave the team until late Jan to prove themselves, then started wheeling and dealing.     

Good post.......Happy New Year to you too!

I don't think Murray was thinking Tank this season but improvement as a team. They are better to watch this year but u throw in Kane, Ennis, Moulson, Girgensens all having bad years. If we had a combined 20 more goals from those 4 players(which I don't think that was to much to ask) they would possibly be right on the cusp of making the playoffs.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

I don't think Murray was thinking Tank this season but improvement as a team. They are better to watch this year but u throw in Kane, Ennis, Moulson, Girgensens all having bad years. If we had a combined 20 more goals from those 4 players(which I don't think that was to much to ask) they would possibly be right on the cusp of making the playoffs.

It could be the franchise's 13th Cusp!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.