Rasmus Ristolainen: A star is born?

dudacek

I think people need to look at the Sabres system before the talk about the front of the net.  I don't see the Sabres prioritizing the front of the net at all.  While you can trot out the mantra of "control the slot" there are systems that allow for the attacker to be there while the defender is busy preventing the puck from getting there in the first place.  I'll watch more for that but off the top of my head I don't think any Sabres defenders hang out in front of the net for too long.

The other key comparison is to note that Ristolainen's age relative to the others.  Defenders aren't generally THIS good at THIS age.  So, where does he project in 2 more years?  

He's definitely one of the best Sabres on the ice. He's definitely calculating but he makes the smart play most of the time and he usually doesn't get himself out of position.  He's a threat in the offensive zone when he needs to be and he hits when it makes sense.  He's not perfect...

I recall Subban being almost a joke at this age.  He had all kinds of flashes of talent but he was so emotional that he'd get himself out of position all the time.  Now look at him... 

How long have we watched Sabres D men shoot the puck at the opposing players feet? If he has to break dance a little to get shots all the way through to the goalie (something he is really good at), then, so be it.

He's really good. He's really young. I like him and think if he played the same game but was Canadian and had a dark scruffy beard Ghost would like him, too.

How long have we watched Sabres D men shoot the puck at the opposing players feet? If he has to break dance a little to get shots all the way through to the goalie (something he is really good at), then, so be it.

He's really good. He's really young. I like him and think if he played the same game but was Canadian and had a dark scruffy beard Ghost would like him, too.

Very refreshing having a d-man that can actually hit put the puck on the net

I don't think it's a major issue here, but I can't help but think of two words we hear all too often... contract year.  I do think what we are seeing is the positive growth of a very young defenseman, but that thought is always going to be in the back of my mind.

Dude is going to be expensive. 

Hey True, what do you figure we pay him?

So far this year, we've seen Karlsson, Subban, Hedman, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Josi, Burns, Weber... In those games, how many looked like what you describe?

None.  PK came closest.

The best performance from an opposing defenseman I've sen this year might have been Nick Leddy.

Man. I missed that. Good eye.

Fwiw, the Finns are hella different than the Swedes, as a group. Nastier bunch.

I see plenty of sandpaper/jam from Risto. 

My impression is the opposite, and Messrs. Forsberg and Kronwall would like a word with you.

My impression is the opposite, and Messrs. Forsberg and Kronwall would like a word with you.

That may be fair. I'm well aware that there are some nasty Swedes out there. There are bound to be - there being so many of them.

It does not help my cause that I have Numminen and Virta on the side of the Finns.

No

He sits at the corner of his own net and is not decisive in taking a position. Bogosian, Gorges, Weber....they take a stand. Ristolainen sits there. Not a sound position to disrupt, but out of passiveness.

We once traded Turgeon and Krupp for LaFontaine.....

Redux 2019?

Risto had a play yesterday I haven't seen a Sabre do in years. 

He caught up to a guy on the breakaway and used his reach to lift the stick from behind.

There is nothing pedestrian about that. 

That dropped my jaw. 

it was beautiful. 

Most defenseman should be able to do that.   We're so used to seeing slugs like Weber, Gorges and Franson, that anytime a D-man catches someone from behind, we're flabbergasted.  

Rasmus is playing well, still room to improve... some of his decisions in the offensive zone seem a bit rushed... doesn't hold the puck very long.     I'd like to see him use more patience and hang on to it a bit longer.   That will come with experience.       

I just don't see him as a PP guy either.    Need a more offensively minded guy like TYSON BARRIE to QB the power play.

Edited by pi2000

Most defenseman should be able to do that.   We're so used to seeing slugs like Weber, Gorges and Franson, that anytime a D-man catches someone from behind, we're flabbergasted.  

Rasmus is playing well, still room to improve... some of his decisions in the offensive zone seem a bit rushed... doesn't hold the puck very long.     I'd like to see him use more patience and hang on to it a bit longer.   That will come with experience.       

I am highly skeptical of the bolded. I do not remember the last time a defenseman caught a breakaway forward and cleanly checked him off the puck without drawing a penalty.

I'd be open to hearing some examples to prove i'm wrong though...

Risto had a play yesterday I haven't seen a Sabre do in years.

He caught up to a guy on the breakaway and used his reach to lift the stick from behind.

There is nothing pedestrian about that.

That dropped my jaw.

it was beautiful.

Could you give me the reason why Ristolainen was on the ice for a breakaway against, seeing he is the worst minus on the backend?

Thank you

I disagree.  More often than not a defenseman can't reach in from behind without getting a penalty called.

I am highly skeptical of the bolded. I do not remember the last time a defenseman caught a breakaway forward and cleanly checked him off the puck without drawing a penalty.

I'd be open to hearing some examples to prove i'm wrong though...

I live in southern California and watch just about all Kings and Ducks games in addition to all the Sabres games.    First thing that jumps out at you is how slow Buffalo is on the back-end.   They constantly lose puck races, fall behind the play as it moves up ice, etc... 

With guys like Doughty, Fowler, Vatanen, Lindholm, etc... those teams rarely give up breakaways and I've seen many many times where they catch a guy from behind or at least can skate neck and neck with him to make a stick check like Risto did.    They guys who are too slow to make those plays, don't exist on the top teams in the league.     

Most D-men can (should be able to?) do that? Risto isn't a PP guy? Is this the universe where pi has bath salts for breakfast?

Risto is a PP guy this year because he's their most offensively gifted defenseman.    If a guy like Barrie, Campbell, Doughty, Fowler, Suter, Giordano, Keith, should I keep going? ... if Buffalo had a top tier offensive defenseman, Risto wouldn't sniff the PP.     I expect TM to fill that void within the next 18 months.

Could you give me the reason why Ristolainen was on the ice for a breakaway against, seeing he is the worst minus on the backend?

Thank you

Well Gustav came from Gorges end, and Rasmus saw the breakaway pass before it was made and started skating backwards before turning around and catching Gustav, a very fast forward who already had a step on him

Can anyone tell me why ROR plays when the Sabres are up and in Alamo mode in the last minute? His +/- isn't as good as Moulson's, I feel like we should put Moulson out there. Hell, even Tim Schaller has the same +/- as ROR, they must be as good as one another

Edited by WildCard

I disagree.  More often than not a defenseman can't reach in from behind without getting a penalty called.

As a defenseman you learn the stick lift at the squirt level.     The second part of the equation is foot speed to stay within reach of the guy....  wait for him to square up the shot and pop up his stick.   That play happens a hundred times a game.    I don't see anything special about the play that Risto made.     It's a play that any defenseman should be expected to make, if he doesn't then he shouldn't be in the NHL.

Thank you

He gets the toughest minutes.

Faulting him for being on the ice for a breakaway? Worrying about + -?

I was really hoping you would have more in your return to being the only one on the board who doesn't think he'll be a franchise defenseman.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.