Rasmus Ristolainen: A star is born?

dudacek

The beauty of this season was supposed to be watching youngsters blossom before our eyes.

It's happening for at least one player, and without a lot of fanfare.

Risto is top 10 in defenceman scoring and top 20 in ice time.

He's playing in all situations, racking up points and playing with a physical edge.

He's been matched up against Stamkos and Seguin and the like on a regular basis.

He protects the puck, clears the zone, makes smart passes, is positionally sound, controls the boards and the point, jumps into the rush, consistently contains his check, separates people from the puck, and protects his net.

I'm not sure where the weakness is.

He might be our best player at 21; O'Reilly is really the only other one in the conversation.

Edited by dudacek

Far and away our best player right now.

I won't count chickens, though. Playing like this for a long haul is not a given.

Anyway, Paul Hamilton is here to remind us that he was on the ice for 2 goals last night. Thanks, Eeyore.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I won't count chickens, though. Playing like this for a long haul is not a given.

Anyway, Paul Hamilton is here to remind us that he was on the ice for 2 goals last night. Thanks, Eeyore.

He's just pointing out the Rasmus' game still needs to develop a bit before we can start calling him elite or anything.

The one thing I do enjoy about this site is the one liners!!!

And to further elaborate, yes Nicky D's totally losing his man on the first goal, Legwand's turnover in his own zone and Gionta's (aren't all 3 of these guys veterans) penalty leading up to the 3rd goal can all be blamed on Risto, I don't dislike Hamilton but there are times he adds nothing to the conversation.

I still say if Risto stays on course, he's at least a top 3 D man in Sabres history.

He's just pointing out the Rasmus' game still needs to develop a bit before we can start calling him elite or anything.

Now that Eichel is ranked on the Sabres' scoresheet pretty much where Ted Cruz is for president, I've been patiently awaiting the fine soaps, oils, linens and servants, to show up at the Swedish waistline next.

I'm a little surprised by the thread starter, and again, like Eichel, Ristolainen is talented and may very well be a true star down the line if he loses the hair gel and stops shaving his chest...but for now, here are the facts.

Mike Weber has 1 less even strength point than Ristolainen in the games they played together before he got hurt.

If you projected Franson with as much ice time as Ristolainen, he has almost the exact same stat line.

Ristolainen was in the bottom 10 in +/- for the entire league for a good stretch of the season.

He's big, he has a great shot, and he is a smooth skater. I have more hope for him than Myers at similar points. He's still a Euro in his own zone for the most part.

Once Bogosian is full speed it will be interesting. I think this team is probably going to need another top 3 dman who is physical and has skill. There is not a true #1 here, but you could roll 6 guys who are 2s thru 4s if you get 1 more guy.

Ok, and he was on the ice for all 4 Sabre goals since he had an assist on each of them. That makes him a +2 right?

Fair. Now and then, I get a little weary of that shtick from PH, though.

I still say if Risto stays on course, he's at least a top 3 D man in Sabres history.

Hmm. Funny you say that. Who are the greatest Sabre defensemen not named Mike Ramsey?

We always hear how Horton was great, but he was here for just a cup of coffee. (Forgive me.)

Housley? I hardly think of him as a d-man. 

McKee? Campbell? Hajt? Schoney? Maybe even the likes of Playfair or Korab?

Ristolainen is talented and may very well be a true star down the line if he loses the hair gel and stops shaving his chest...but for now, here are the facts.

<> 

Once Bogosian is full speed it will be interesting. I think this team is probably going to need another top 3 dman who is physical and has skill. There is not a true #1 here, but you could roll 6 guys who are 2s thru 4s if you get 1 more guy.

Some skewing of #s there, I think, but it's good to pump the brakes a bit. I also enjoy the personal vanity digs. I don't begrudge him that -- euros, man.

Also noticed the shout-out to Weber. Have you been a Weber guy, lo, these many years? I forget.

The last piece is spot on, I think. I don't think Risto projects as a #1 monster type. I'm not even sure how many teams have that guy anymore. But I think the set-up you envision is an attainable one.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Hmm. Funny you say that. Who are the greatest Sabre defensemen not named Mike Ramsey?

We always hear how Horton was great, but he was here for just a cup of coffee. (Forgive me.)

I'd have to say that a d-man that was both great in his own end and as an offensive weapon has never really existed in Buffalo. Ramsey was great, but was he really a huge offensive threat? Risto has the potential to be Ramsey and Van Boxmeer combined

The beauty of this season was supposed to be watching youngsters blossom before our eyes.

It's happening for at least one player, and without a lot of fanfare.

Risto is top 10 in defenceman scoring and top 20 in ice time.

He's playing in all situations, racking up points and playing with a physical edge.

He's been matched up against Stamkos and Seguin and the like on a regular basis.

He protects the puck, clears the zone, makes smart passes, is positionally sound, controls the boards and the point, jumps into the rush, consistently contains his check, separates people from the puck, and protects his net.

I'm not sure where the weakness is.

He might be our best player at 21; O'Reilly is really the only other one in the conversation.

A different kind of blossoming, but I also think Reinhart is part of this conversation.  He could end up being ROR v2.0 when he fully matures in a few years.

But yeah, I've mentioned Risto's ceiling being comparable to Lidstrom; I'll stand by that for now.  So far he's been a dream come true. To me the only concern is longevity in that Risto plays a more physical game than Lidstrom did.  Knock wood, we haven't seen him getting dinged up too bad thus far.

Edited by The Big Johnson

GoDD, you and I have disagreed on Risto's game pretty much since he arrived.

You've always seen a softness that I just don't see. I see him shrugging off guys and clearing the zone.

The kid is no Myers. He's competitive, he'll push first and wants the puck when it's crunch time.

Smell is right saying its long season, and that's why the thread title has a question mark.

But I think your first impression is blinding you to what's happening on the ice.

So far this year 55 has played like a #1

I do like my defenceman hairier, I'll give you that.

And the board misses your informed contrarianism (really appreciate the jab at eichel)

Hope you get the love back soon.

Fair. Now and then, I get a little weary of that shtick from PH, though.

Some skewing of #s there, I think, but it's good to pump the brakes a bit. I also enjoy the personal vanity digs. I don't begrudge him that -- euros, man.

A very nice list of D men but I think the way the modern game is leaning Risto is the perfect mix of big, smart, very good skater, dangerous and accurate shot plus he is getting better and better at getting the puck out of his own zone quickly. He is also very young for a good Dman with plenty of time to grow mentally and physically. Can play both the PP and PK teams well. Not a #1 guy now but I think he'll grow into it. Housley's a HOF'r, hard not to give him his props no matter what tools got him there.

As for the personal vanity digs, let's see what he looks like at 50 in one of those Euro speedos before I knock him for it now.

I'd have to say that a d-man that was both great in his own end and as an offensive weapon has never really existed in Buffalo. Ramsey was great, but was he really a huge offensive threat? Risto has the potential to be Ramsey and Van Boxmeer combined

Zhitnik?

Smehlik? :ph34r:

Bodger? :ph34r: :ph34r:

The last piece is spot on, I think. I don't think Risto projects as a #1 monster type. I'm not even sure how many teams have that guy anymore. But I think the set-up you envision is an attainable one.

Who is this monster type?

Doughty, Ekman-Larsson, Subban, Karlsson, Weber, Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, Josi, Hedman, Burns, Giordano, Keith, Seabrook

I'm sure I missed a few, but those are the league's acknowledged top defenceman.

What defines a #1? What does Risto need to do to get there?

Edited by dudacek

Doughty, Ekman-Larsson, Subban, Karlsson, Weber, Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, Josi, Hedman, Burns, Giordano, Keith, Seabrook

I'm sure I missed a few, but those are the league's acknowledged top defenceman.

Risto needs post season success and a few years of it to be considered in that group. 

I'd give this to ROR.

And Ocho Cinco has to be in the conversation.  (Yeah, I said it.)

My top 3 are Housley, Schoney and Ramsey.

Soupy might've gotten there too.  Thanks again, TG and LQ.

IMHO, an elite #1 dominates the action most shifts when he's on the ice.  Doughty, Subban, Weber (although he's not where he was a few years ago) and Keith do this for 200 feet, OEL and Karlsson do it more with speed, possession and playmaking, and some (like Chara and Pronger) include the highly appealing feature of making a big part of the d-zone an area where angels fear to tread.  In all cases, though, that guy is driving the action, with and without the puck, and is never a passenger.

Risto isn't close to that level yet, but he's got the tools, some of the nasty and maybe the drive.

We'll see.

GoDD, you and I have disagreed on Risto's game pretty much since he arrived.

You've always seen a softness that I just don't see. I see him shrugging off guys and clearing the zone.

The kid is no Myers. He's competitive, he'll push first and wants the puck when it's crunch time.

Smell is right saying its long season, and that's why the thread title has a question mark.

But I think your first impression is blinding you to what's happening on the ice.

So far this year 55 has played like a #1

I do like my defenceman hairier, I'll give you that.

And the board misses your informed contrarianism (really appreciate the jab at eichel)

Hope you get the love back soon.

Way too much Ehrhoff.

He sits 8 feet to the side of the net and breakdances like he's auditioning for a Spike Lee joint while guys fly in and camp out in front or control it in the corner.

He isn't a wuss, but the guy is 6'5" 215 and should have a little physical confidence.

I am not disappointed in his game. I just think you have nice turf stakes horse and not a Kentucky Derby winner

Also noticed the shout-out to Weber. Have you been a Weber guy, lo, these many years? I forget.

I am a Weber supporter in that I was disgusted the "fans" made him the devil for actually wanting to win last year and being upset that they booed their own team for winning a home game.

Also, what led me to post in the Yeichel thread was in the Tampa game thread, not 1 person said anything positive about Weber but 6 had vulgarities towards him and wanted him off the team. In that same thread, 20 people felt the need to praise and celebrate Eichel's goal.

Not 1 person pointed out that Weber was the one who fed Eichel with a 70 foot tape to tape outlet pass that led to the goal. To top it off Weber did it again 2 shifts later to spring a 2 on 1, but Eichel f'd up the entry and turned it over.

That game thread made me look up actual stats and that's when I noticed Ristolainen had 1 more even strength point than Weber, and that he and Eichel were in the bottom 10 in +/- for the entire league.

Bottom line, don't tell me salmon is lobster....and don't tell me chuck roast is a turd.

I am a Weber supporter in that I was disgusted the "fans" made him the devil for actually wanting to win last year and being upset that they booed their own team for winning a home game.

Also, what led me to post in the Yeichel thread was in the Tampa game thread, not 1 person said anything positive about Weber but 6 had vulgarities towards him and wanted him off the team. In that same thread, 20 people felt the need to praise and celebrate Eichel's goal.

Not 1 person pointed out that Weber was the one who fed Eichel with a 70 foot tape to tape outlet pass that led to the goal. To top it off Weber did it again 2 shifts later to spring a 2 on 1, but Eichel f'd up the entry and turned it over.

That game thread made me look up actual stats and that's when I noticed Ristolainen had 1 more even strength point than Weber, and that he and Eichel were in the bottom 10 in +/- for the entire league.

Bottom line, don't tell me salmon is lobster....and don't tell me chuck roast is a turd.

I like Weber to and dont understand all the hate towards him, he is what he is, and not the beast he once was bobbleheading Cindy. But I disagree on Risto, he is showing more and more nasti to his game... Still while overstated, until he gets in a fight, agree there is more Euro he needs to rid himself of. I believe it is coming... You can see it.

IMHO, an elite #1 dominates the action most shifts when he's on the ice.  Doughty, Subban, Weber (although he's not where he was a few years ago) and Keith do this for 200 feet, OEL and Karlsson do it more with speed, possession and playmaking, and some (like Chara and Pronger) include the highly appealing feature of making a big part of the d-zone an area where angels fear to tread.  In all cases, though, that guy is driving the action, with and without the puck, and is never a passenger.

So far this year, we've seen Karlsson, Subban, Hedman, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Josi, Burns, Weber... In those games, how many looked like what you describe?

Now that Eichel is ranked on the Sabres' scoresheet pretty much where Ted Cruz is for president, I've been patiently awaiting the fine soaps, oils, linens and servants, to show up at the Swedish waistline next.

I'm a little surprised by the thread starter, and again, like Eichel, Ristolainen is talented and may very well be a true star down the line if he loses the hair gel and stops shaving his chest...but for now, here are the facts.

Mike Weber has 1 less even strength point than Ristolainen in the games they played together before he got hurt.

If you projected Franson with as much ice time as Ristolainen, he has almost the exact same stat line.

Ristolainen was in the bottom 10 in +/- for the entire league for a good stretch of the season.

He's big, he has a great shot, and he is a smooth skater. I have more hope for him than Myers at similar points. He's still a Euro in his own zone for the most part.

Rasmus is from Finland

And here are the facts

+/- is useless. But, if you insist on using it, Rasmus has the best +/- Relative to his Quality of Competition. He and Gorges are also first in Corsi Relative to Quality of Competition, and consistently proves his worth in every chart on here

http://war-on-ice.com/playertable.html

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=29&s=25&f1=2015_s&f2=5v5&f4=D&f5=BUF&c=0+3+4+6+7+8+29+30+31+13+14+15+16+11+12+34+32+33+35+36+17+18+19+20+21+22+25+26+27+28+10+37+38+39+40+47+48+49+50+51+52+53+54+55+56+63+67+57+58+59+60+61+62+64+65+66+41+42+43+44+45+46#

I'm curious to who you think is a true #1 that isn't one of the top 5 defenders in the league then

He could learn a lot from clearing his own crease

Edited by WildCard

Thank you for saying that Rasmus is Finnish, WC!

The one hole that I see in Ristolainen's game is that he tries to be too methodical at times.  I think this is what GoDD means with the breakdancing comment (although I think Rasmus has played a good physical game in the D zone as of late).  You can see it on the first Kane goal last night.  He and Risto had a clear 2 on 1, but Risto came in the zone at 75% speed and opened up way too early and took himself out of the play.  Luckily, Kane still used him as a fake and got the snipe.

Similar to Gionta, Risto is a guy that gets it deep almost every time. 

Way too much Ehrhoff.

He sits 8 feet to the side of the net and breakdances like he's auditioning for a Spike Lee joint while guys fly in and camp out in front or control it in the corner.

He isn't a wuss, but the guy is 6'5" 215 and should have a little physical confidence.

I am not disappointed in his game. I just think you have nice turf stakes horse and not a Kentucky Derby winner

He's not great in front of the net, I agree. But I fail to see when he isn't physical along the boards or anywhere else. He consistently has big hits and is fighting after the whistle 

I've seen Hedman brought up in here, and I've seen elsewhere where some are comparing Risto's development to Hedman's. Then again, a ton of people thought Myers wold become Chara

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.