Eichel + Red Bull

bcsaberks

Anyone else catch NBCSN show Eichel swigging Red Bull in locker room pre-game on Tues?  

Now, that stuff is way to sweet for me personally, but I find it interesting he's taking caffeine before games. Plenty of studies say caffeine is beneficial to sports performance, though typically it's endurance related, not sprint.  My personal experience with coffee + bike is very good.  And as a parent of 2 teenagers in youth sports, I've recently considered encouraging them to use it for games/meets via their liquid of choice (energy drink, mt dew, iced coffee (no dairy)).  On the other hand, given the anti-caffeine environment around youth, it seems a bit taboo.

Curious if this is generational, and if sports science is now pretty clear, fire it up for all sports.  Gotta assume Eichel has good (the best?) nutritional consult around him...

Anyone else catch NBCSN show Eichel swigging Red Bull in locker room pre-game on Tues?  

Now, that stuff is way to sweet for me personally, but I find it interesting he's taking caffeine before games. Plenty of studies say caffeine is beneficial to sports performance, though typically it's endurance related, not sprint.  My personal experience with coffee + bike is very good.  And as a parent of 2 teenagers in youth sports, I've recently considered encouraging them to use it for games/meets via their liquid of choice (energy drink, mt dew, iced coffee (no dairy)).  On the other hand, given the anti-caffeine environment around youth, it seems a bit taboo.

Curious if this is generational, and if sports science is now pretty clear, fire it up for all sports.  Gotta assume Eichel has good (the best?) nutritional consult around him...

Caffeine is just a gateway drug.   Just wait until he gets the good stuff.

I have never seen a Bond movie and I have never had an energy drink. Not even a cup of coffee.

I have had No Doze though. Seemed easy enough not to reinvent the wheel.

This is right up there with Howard Simon never having tried peanut butter.

Caffeine is just a gateway drug. Just wait until he gets the good stuff.

If by gateway drug you mean gateway to heaven, then I agree!

I have never seen a Bond movie and I have never had an energy drink. Not even a cup of coffee.

I have had No Doze though. Seemed easy enough not to reinvent the wheel.

Then you have unnecessarily denied yourself.  I mean how does anyone born after 1960 not see a Bond film?

This is right up there with Howard Simon never having tried peanut butter.

I've had about 4 sips of coffee in my 30 years. Never made it past a single sip. Awful! Truly awful!

I drink about 6 cups of tea per year. Maybe 2 sodas per month. And about 8 bottles of water per day.

Pretty much everyone I work with lives on energy drinks. Red Bull, NOS, Monster, 5 hour. I don't get it.

I've had about 4 sips of coffee in my 30 years. Never made it past a single sip. Awful! Truly awful!

I drink about 6 cups of tea per year. Maybe 2 sodas per month. And about 8 bottles of water per day.

Pretty much everyone I work with lives on energy drinks. Red Bull, NOS, Monster, 5 hour. I don't get it.

Every single part of the bold is true of me as well.

My feelings on tea are about the same as yours on coffee. Taste buds are weird. 

As to the other stuff, I haven't had a pop in years and years, totally cut it out of my diet. And energy drinks are also terrible, no clue how people stomach those things.

But coffee? Ben Franklin has been quoted as saying that beer is how we know God wants us to be happy. I respectfully disagree with Mr. Franklin...coffee is how we know.

Red bull and coffee was how I got through senior year of college. Had never had a drop of coffee or energy drinks in my life until end of junior year.

My average a day was, 3-4 Red Bulls (sugarfree, hah, like that helped), at least 5 coffees, 3 of which probably had multiple shots of espresso in them. I slept maybe 2 hours a night, pulled a lot of all nighters, and was so freakin' ill and loopy (I would rather be drunk than hopped up on caffeine like that again) that d4rk, who had just started dating me, wouldn't let me drive. Smart man. 

It sucked, but man was I skinny and productive! And shaky! And 10 seconds from another heart attack! SO glamorous. 

Down to a cup or two of coffee a day. 

My feelings on tea are about the same as yours on coffee. Taste buds are weird. 

As to the other stuff, I haven't had a pop in years and years, totally cut it out of my diet. And energy drinks are also terrible, no clue how people stomach those things.

But coffee? Ben Franklin has been quoted as saying that beer is how we know God wants us to be happy. I respectfully disagree with Mr. Franklin...coffee is how we know.

I say why argue about such things. Can't you both be right?

I say why argue about such things. Can't you both be right?

I like the way you think.

Red bull and coffee was how I got through senior year of college. Had never had a drop of coffee or energy drinks in my life until end of junior year.

My average a day was, 3-4 Red Bulls (sugarfree, hah, like that helped), at least 5 coffees, 3 of which probably had multiple shots of espresso in them. I slept maybe 2 hours a night, pulled a lot of all nighters, and was so freakin' ill and loopy (I would rather be drunk than hopped up on caffeine like that again) that d4rk, who had just started dating me, wouldn't let me drive. Smart man. 

It sucked, but man was I skinny and productive! And shaky! And 10 seconds from another heart attack! SO glamorous. 

Down to a cup or two of coffee a day. 

Did you go through any withdrawal symptoms? I ask because if I don't get a half pot of coffee in the morning and the early evening I get a headache, and I've never consumed nearly as much as you did.

I work in a factory, so my work day starts at 6. I've figured out that no matter what time I go to bed, if I set my alarm for 4:30, and keep a caffeine pill and glass of water next to my bed, I can down the caffeine and water at 4:30, fall back asleep, and then spring out of bed at 4:50 when alarm #2 goes off.

I work in a factory, so my work day starts at 6. I've figured out that no matter what time I go to bed, if I set my alarm for 4:30, and keep a caffeine pill and glass of water next to my bed, I can down the caffeine and water at 4:30, fall back asleep, and then spring out of bed at 4:50 when alarm #2 goes off.

That's...genius.

My take if you need an energy drink ,Monster/red bull etc either you're not getting enough sleep or your diet is lacking some basic nutrients. I'm 50 and I've never needed a boost. The kids now days live for this shite. Its all programming . Red Bull did it smart through their adrenalin sports ads. Sucked them right in. I do wish I had invested in Monster early though.

That's...genius.

Seriously! I've been doing it all wrong.

I like the way you think.

Did you go through any withdrawal symptoms? I ask because if I don't get a half pot of coffee in the morning and the early evening I get a headache, and I've never consumed nearly as much as you did.

See, I have never had to ask anyone that question... It's the exact reason why I never bothered to drink it. If I am sleepy before an important meeting then I will take a NoDoz with water and I am fine.

I have two addictions in life – my wife and my phone. Not necessarily in that order…

See, I have never had to ask anyone that question... It's the exact reason why I never bothered to drink it. If I am sleepy before an important meeting then I will take a NoDoz with water and I am fine.

I have two addictions in life – my wife and my phone. Not necessarily in that order…

You sound like my brother.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.