Concerned that teams will cheap shot Eichel

eman

As Jack gets even better and the season progresses, I am concerned opponents will start to take liberties with him (cheap shots). The injury to McDavid didn't originally appear to be cheap but when you look at it again, it certainly may have had intent. If this happens (a cheap shot to Jack) and I think it eventually will as teams realize how dangerous he is, do we have guys other then Marcus who can "throw down" if the crap starts? Brendan Gallagher is one who I think would take a cheapie at Jack even though he may not throw down afterward. Do we have guys other then Marcus who can send the message this won't be tolerated?

I think Jack is perfectly capable of defending himself.  His physical presence is coming along as well...he's checking and he's getting in on scrums.  He's a big, strong guy, who, in my opinion, was the more durable option between he and McDavid at the draft. 

That said, D-Lo, McGinn, Foligno, Rasmus, Kane, Gorges, Weber, and Zemgus are all there to protect him.

As Jack gets even better and the season progresses, I am concerned opponents will start to take liberties with him (cheap shots). The injury to McDavid didn't originally appear to be cheap but when you look at it again, it certainly may have had intent. If this happens (a cheap shot to Jack) and I think it eventually will as teams realize how dangerous he is, do we have guys other then Marcus who can "throw down" if the crap starts? Brendan Gallagher is one who I think would take a cheapie at Jack even though he may not throw down afterward. Do we have guys other then Marcus who can send the message this won't be tolerated?

The only thing I saw in the McDavid injury was a guy who took a shot and twisted enough to put his center of gravity on the wrong side of his edges.  Once that happened he was going to fall over.  Given where he was at he was most likely going to come away with some serious hurting. The problem was made worse by him taking out two Flyers defenders with him.  I don't see anything cheap there at all.  It's an unfortunate play and McDavid is responsible for taking out the Flyers players as well.

I don't think anyone is going to cheap shot Eichel.  He's already one of the faces of the game.  He's likely to get some extra bumps and a few other knock downs but as far as a pure cheap shot goes?  I don't think so.  There was a ideo posted a few years back that I believe showed Gallagher against the Bruins.  He gets dropped by the goalie, then the defender knocks him down, and then he gets knocked down again all while just trying to get out of the Bruins zone and get back into the play.  I would expect THAT level of irritation.

That said... I do think there is an entire team that is going to come to his defense at this point.

The only thing I saw in the McDavid injury was a guy who took a shot and twisted enough to put his center of gravity on the wrong side of his edges.  Once that happened he was going to fall over.  Given where he was at he was most likely going to come away with some serious hurting. The problem was made worse by him taking out two Flyers defenders with him.  I don't see anything cheap there at all.  It's an unfortunate play and McDavid is responsible for taking out the Flyers players as well.

McDavid caught a rut in the ice.  The only way there was intent there was if they knew exactly where he was going to be and they damaged the ice ahead of time.  Seems likely to me.

I don't think anyone is going to cheap shot Eichel.  He's already one of the faces of the game.  He's likely to get some extra bumps and a few other knock downs but as far as a pure cheap shot goes?  I don't think so.  There was a ideo posted a few years back that I believe showed Gallagher against the Bruins.  He gets dropped by the goalie, then the defender knocks him down, and then he gets knocked down again all while just trying to get out of the Bruins zone and get back into the play.  I would expect THAT level of irritation.

That said... I do think there is an entire team that is going to come to his defense at this point.

You'd hope.  More McDavid, Eichel, Crosby, Ovechkin, etc = more money for everyone in the league.

Aside from Don Cherries crazed rant on HNIC sat. night I've heard no one come out and say it was a deliberate intent to injure. I believe they intended to hit him no question. Lets be real. This is the Flyers. But that was just a hockey play that went wrong. As for Eich I think he is strong enough to survive in this league for the everyday grind and he's proven that so far but its the knee on knee hit I worry about. Those things happen but would a team go out and target a knee ? I'm not so sure.

I think Jack is perfectly capable of defending himself.  His physical presence is coming along as well...he's checking and he's getting in on scrums.  He's a big, strong guy, who, in my opinion, was the more durable option between he and McDavid at the draft. 

That said, D-Lo, McGinn, Foligno, Rasmus, Kane, Gorges, Weber, and Zemgus are all there to protect him.

I think believing that first sentence is hubris.  It's just unrealistic.  I also agree with it, at least mostly.  Eichel seems to have a strong awareness of who's on the ice and whom to look out for.  Back to the hubris remark, even if he can take care of himself I think DD and the team needs to make protecting him a priority.

I have yet to see any evidence that young stars are deliberately targeted. Tavares, Stamkos, Kane, MacKinnon...did any of those guys get run beyond what a normal hockey player does? I don't believe so. Not only do I think Eichel is capable of avoiding the big hit, I think the idea that he needs protection is more fallacy than fact.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

McGinn, Deslauriers

Right you are Lanny, I forgot about McGinn and Deslauriers. Deslauriers is pretty handy with the fists. I'm not saying Jack isn't capable, I just don't want to see him have to do it and then get a stupid injury because of it. I believe Jack has brought the confidence level of this entire team up a notch combined with Bylsma's excellent coaching so far, that we don't need a "set back" of an Eichel injury. Not sure of Gorges and Zemgus ability to throw down (despite Z's size) As it stands right now I can see this team being a legit playoff contender but as the season goes on, and playoff positioning becomes intense, I can also see a team trying to get his game by any means necessary. But you're right, Marcus, McGinn and Deslauriers are there. Good to know! Here's hoping it isn't even an issue.

I have yet to see any evidence that young stars are deliberately targeted. Tavares, Stamkos, Kane, MacKinnon...did any of those guys get run beyond what a normal hockey player does? I don't believe so. Not only do I think Eichel is capable of avoiding the big hit, I think the idea that he needs protection is more fallacy than fact.

True enough. I just don't want Jack to be the first of this new breed ghat gets nailed. That would just be Buffalo's luck that someone does target him. You never know who another team calls up and wants to make an impression by being a douche. Again, here's hoping that isn't the case.

Well with Eichel is harder than with McDavid.  In the OHL playoffs last year it was a thing that if you were physical with McDavid it ruffled his feathers and got him off his game, he reacted to it. Jack has ice veins as far as I can tell, he just keeps on keeping on.

Btw McDavid is still a really great player and probably a little better than Jack Eichel but I like our American thoroughbred.

You don't need someone who you think will "WIN ALL FIGHTS", you just need someone who will drop them at any moment.  That's protection.  Whether they win or lose the fight isn't as important as the other team knowing there are folks willing to dance if they as so much as check Eichel the wrong way.

Regarding whether stars are targeted more than others, I don't think they are, either.  Not in this era of hockey.  Maybe 20-30 years ago there would have been a greater chance because there were a lot more goons.

You don't need someone who you think will "WIN ALL FIGHTS", you just need someone who will drop them at any moment.  That's protection.  Whether they win or lose the fight isn't as important as the other team knowing there are folks willing to dance if they as so much as check Eichel the wrong way.

Regarding whether stars are targeted more than others, I don't think they are, either.  Not in this era of hockey.  Maybe 20-30 years ago there would have been a greater chance because there were a lot more goons.

I agree. You target a star in todays NHL wrong and you'll get your ass beat down and you will get shuffled out of the league.  A lot of money is at stake for guys and they want to stay in the league. 

Not to mention Bettman, Campbell, and Quintal.

Not to mention Bettman, Campbell, and Quintal.

:flirt:

I guess you're right; the league is not going to want cheap shot artists taking out their most exciting players.  It's been so long since a most exciting player was a Sabre that it's hard to image the league discipline office being on our side.

he'll get cheapshotted.  It's inevitable.  Most players get one tossed their way eventually.  Hopefully the kid doesn't injure easily.  A genuine tough guy on his wing might help.  But it might not.  The days of Semenko on Gretz's wing are over.  Hopefully we build the team so the opponent is too busy chasing us to line up an elbow.

The only thing I saw in the McDavid injury was a guy who took a shot and twisted enough to put his center of gravity on the wrong side of his edges. Once that happened he was going to fall over. Given where he was at he was most likely going to come away with some serious hurting. The problem was made worse by him taking out two Flyers defenders with him. I don't see anything cheap there at all. It's an unfortunate play and McDavid is responsible for taking out the Flyers players as well.

I don't think anyone is going to cheap shot Eichel. He's already one of the faces of the game. He's likely to get some extra bumps and a few other knock downs but as far as a pure cheap shot goes? I don't think so. There was a ideo posted a few years back that I believe showed Gallagher against the Bruins. He gets dropped by the goalie, then the defender knocks him down, and then he gets knocked down again all while just trying to get out of the Bruins zone and get back into the play. I would expect THAT level of irritation.

Not sure how to bold.the.on ething I wanted to respond to but Gallagher is an and was taking extra swipes at those guys all game and got what he deserves. I don't think u can put Jack in the same category, he will embarrass guys with his skill and cause some frustration whacks but nothing like what Gallagher got. My main concern is guys whack in away at him while he glides by, skill guys have to protect their wrists imo

The Big Johnson, on 11 Nov 2015 - 10:29 PM, said:

So Jack Eichel, he's fast.  And he's a good singer.  Just ask him.  He'll tell ya.

Love it.  Love the attitude of this guy.  None of this serious, mushy, introspective crap.  Just bold, in your face, almost crazy.  Love it to pieces.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.