GDT: Tampa @ Buffalo, 7:00 pm edt, 11/5/2015

WildCard

HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY! ###### is it good to be back in a GDT. 4 days without Sabres hockey is just too long, especially when they're actually fun to watch again. :beer:

Alright; as mentioned, the Sabres are coming off of a 4 day break, which saw a rest day Monday, practice days, and a visit to a military base to honor the troops...and drive humvees or, if you're Zemgus, hold a rocket-launcher. Other than that, Buffalo looks to keep the hot streak going as they come off two straight wins, and have won 3/4. Yes, you read that right, we have a win streak.

Tampa Bay, on the other hand, has hit a bit of a rut, going 3-5-2 in their last 10, and coming off of a 2-1 loss in Detroit on Tuesday night. Tampa has lost 5/6.

Stats:

CF%: Buffalo - 52.1%, (6th), Tampa Bay - 51.2%, (10th)

FF%: Buffalo - 51.5%, (9th), Tampa Bay - 50.5%, (12th)

Fenwick For% = Fenwick For / (Fenwick For + Fenwick Against)

Corsi For% = Corsi For / (Corsi For + Corsi Against)

Advanced Stats For First Match-up

Advanced Stats For Second Match-up

Game Preview

Look for Linus Ullmark and Bishop to get the start. Ennis will be back, and Drouin (missed 4 games, LBI) and Paquette (missed 5 games, ankle) are both questionable.

Wednesday's Practice Report

Don't look for the lines to change, they've been the same for the last two days of practice. Looks like Weber has found his place though

WEDNESDAY’S PRACTICE

44 Nicolas Deslauriers – 90 Ryan O’Reilly – 63 Tyler Ennis

22 Johan Larsson – 15 Jack Eichel – 82 Marcus Foligno

26 Matt Moulson – 28 Zemgus Girgensons – 12 Brian Gionta

88 Jamie McGinn – 17 David Legwand – 23 Sam Reinhart

4 Josh Gorges – 55 Rasmus Ristolainen

29 Jake McCabe – 46 Cody Franson

25 Carlo Colaiacovo – 3 Mark Pysyk

6 Mike Weber

31 Chad Johnson

35 Linus Ullmark

492343428-jack-eichel-of-the-buffalo-sab

Edited by WildCard

I like the stats for each game. They have some pretty cool possession charts on their that track the ebb and flow of the game, the CF, FF, and Shots For/against for each period, and every single players zone time, zone %, Corsi, TOI, and zone starting %. There are some really cool stats in there

We need a guide.

Like I make a legend each time? Or TrueBlue?

I like the stats for each game. They have some pretty cool possession charts on their that track the ebb and flow of the game, the CF, FF, and Shots For/against for each period, and every single players zone time, zone %, Corsi, TOI, and zone starting %. There are some really cool stats in there

Like I make a legend each time? Or TrueBlue?

Just consider me the Gandalf of stats here :lol:

(Please hold the jokes about me and my stats falling into a bottomless pit)

Why is Chad getting the start?

Hot Daniel has noticed how off topic we are lately and wanted to throw us something hockey-related to talk about.

I miisssss hoockkeyyyyyyyyeeeeee.

Okay, I watched a non-Sabres game or two in between, but that's not real hockey.

I love the forward depth.

Last year I would have been pissed with Samson languishing on the fourth line.

But McGinn and Legwand are good hockey players.

They are good hockey players, but Hot Dan's plan here is a little out of left field.

McGinn is the guy crashing the net, leaving either Legwand or Samson as the setup guy. Well, Legwand probably shouldn't be the guy getting stuck in down low because he'll miss his defensive assignment if the puck leaves the zone. So, he needs to stick by the boards.

Samson should be the guy looking for the spaces away from the play as that's one of his specialties. He'll take the rebound or the pass and attempt to finish the play.

Where this is out of left field is that Samson came here tagged as the setup guy, no? And, frankly, I thought he looked good as Jack's setup guy. Certainly there is chemistry between the two.

My guess is that Samson is being taught a lesson here, and not as a punitive thing, but Hot Dan is teaching Samson something. I find it curious because I can see Samson spending a lot of his career as Jack's wingman.

This game is a great reality check. The Sabres were mostly outplayed by the Islanders and won. (which is a great road win). But Tampa is really a very complete team. Hedman didn't play last time these teams met. 

Stamkos-Hedman-Bishop  that's a pretty good top 3. 

A win here would go a long way, and  with Tampa being 6-6-2 this is a 4 pt. game. 

Three hopes tonight

1. Ullmark gets the start and delivers another solid performance (Leftwinglock has Johnson between the pipes tonight)

2. Eichel lands a couple of assists

Had expected that to be his better half in the points department. Granted, he's new to the NHL so there is a learning curve. Just my two cents. 

3. Sabres grab a another W 

But man, it's great to be jumping w/ excitement when the Sabres score. Let's go Buffalo! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.