Linus Ullmark: the Swede that we need

LGR4GM

If there's a Calder Trophy for rookie poster of the year, MODO is the early favorite.

100%. That was a really good series of posts MODO, love to hear the perspective of someone who has actually seen this talent develop. Also, it's always annoyed me that we don't have what the Europeans do in stadium atmosphere. The songs are awesome, hilarious, and involve the fans so much more in the game. I always wished we had that over here

Welcome to the board, and keep'm coming.

I dont know much about Miller other than he is a good goalie, and was supposed to be sabers franchise goalie. 

Ullmark is very loyal, and ive never seen him yell to his teammates for doing something wrong, or blame anyone else than him self when there is a loss.

He will literally blame him self for any loss your team will take, that is how he is. And thats why i think he has potential to become something other than a good goalie, i would say freggin awesome goalie.

I guess we will know in a year or three, i my self just hope he will stay the season out, i just want him to succeed so much. 

Next game vs lightning, with Victor hedman that i forgot to mention (jesus christ  :doh: ) he is also born and raised here in Ornskoldsvik, MODO Hockey, and his brother is a D in MODO Hockey.

This game is gonna be real tough, im hoping Ullmark does these unnatural saves and gives sabers a win.

Great stuff here and on your above description of MODO games -- thanks!

Here's a question:  for guys like Hedman and the others who are from Ornskoldsvik -- does that mean that they will play for MODO?  Or does the SHL have a draft like the NHL, so the players end up with whoever drafts them?

If there's a Calder Trophy for rookie poster of the year, MODO is the early favorite.

Yes indeed.  I heard he also wrote "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and his GF founded the Swedish bikini team.

I think the comparison to Miller stops at the ice's edge. The butterfly style combined with the acrobatics and aggressive crease-breaching pretty much defines Miller's game and Ullmark has a similar combination going on.

The interviews, so far, with Ullmark show us a dude who is definitely not Ryan Miller. Indeed, I'd say MODO's characterization is pretty spot on from what I've seen, at least.

The interviews, so far, with Ullmark show us a dude who is definitely not Ryan Miller.

Are his eyes appropriately spaced?

And I love it when we have new european posters joining the board.  They have such a unique take on hockey and sports in general.  It's always interesting to see how things are viewed in a different part of the world.  Maybe someday we'll get representation from each continent.  That would be cool.  There has to be some Sabre fan stuck in a very isolated research station in Antarctica, right?

Are his eyes appropriately spaced?

And I love it when we have new european posters joining the board.  They have such a unique take on hockey and sports in general.  It's always interesting to see how things are viewed in a different part of the world.  Maybe someday we'll get representation from each continent.  That would be cool.  There has to be some Sabre fan stuck in a very isolated research station in Antarctica, right?

Do we have any from Asia, Africa or South America? 

Is Chilean Sea Bass from Chile?

Ullmark doesn't seem to throw his teammates under the buss in postgame interviews.

On the contrary, all success Ullmark ascribes to the team in front of him.  One of the things I've heard a couple times now is something to the effect that he says the team blocks all the hard shots, leaving him to just block the easy ones.  I don't remember exact wording from an interview after a loss, but I think he took the opposite line and said that he was the one to blame.

In the defense of Bills fans, I'd have to be drunk as well to watch an NFL game live :D

Most hockey games on on work days in the evening, versus most NFL games are on a Sunday.  So fans have the whole day for a Bills game and make a day of it... the whole day.  For the Sabres game they drive downtown after work and hope the snow doesn't strand them there.  :angel:

If Ullmark is playing superior hockey when Lehrner is ready then Ullmark should remain the starter. Lehrner hasn't earned the job and the organization shouldn't marry itself to the fact that they gave a one to get him. The play on the ice is the only thing that should matter.

If Lehner is ready to play, I see them waiving the Big Johnson and sending him to Rochester, and letting Lehner and Ullmark find their balance.

Hey sabre fans, greetings from Sweden   :w00t: 

With Ullmark you now have lots of new fans!!

We sat up last night, guys at work (01 at night in Sweden) to watch the game against Vancouver, which is quite special for us MODO fans, since the Sedin twins are born and raised here in Ornskoldsvik and MODO Hockey, 

just as Ullmark is, almost anyway since he did 2 seasons in his younger days in a close to Ornskoldsvik town, Kramfors.

We have had great players coming from our little northern town in Sweden, Ornskoldsvik and MODO Hockey into NHL.

Players such as Peter Forsberg, Markus Naslund, Daniel/Henrik Sedin, Per Svartvadet, Nicklas Sundstrom, Matthias Timander, Alexander Edler, Hans Jonsson, Mats Zuccarello Aasen.

Most of them born here and raised here in Ornskoldsvik. 

Anyway .. 

Ive seen Ullmark since he started in MODO Hockeys J20 (Juniors), and when he started playing for MODO Hockey in SHL he showed us all why he is with Sabers right now in his young age. 

This goalie is in my own and others opinion Swedens next Henrik Lundqvist, give him some time to adjust to NHL, smaller rink and the system, and to be able to heal as an player from his hip sugerys.

Your team with Ullmark and Lehner will for sure reach the playoffs, im sure of it. And its gonna be freggin great to follow Sabers now with Ullmark, he can sometimes do saves like no other, and his spirit on and off the ice

will make you love him, he really likes to show how much he apreciates the fans and the support that his team gets from you guys and you will see it coming more and more.

Well met,  :worthy:

Regards,

"MODO Hockey"

Hey! Welcome to Buffalo! And thanks for the goaltender :) 

Great stuff here and on your above description of MODO games -- thanks!

Here's a question:  for guys like Hedman and the others who are from Ornskoldsvik -- does that mean that they will play for MODO?  Or does the SHL have a draft like the NHL, so the players end up with whoever drafts them?

Yes indeed.  I heard he also wrote "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and his GF founded the Swedish bikini team.

Allright, ill try to explain how this part works in Sweden as far as i can.

It works pretty much like this:

Today, almost every SHL team have their own Hockey highschool (16 years to 19), back in the days when

Peter Forsberg, Markus Naslund etc grew up, Sweden had only a couple, MODO was one of them.

Now days, as above.

But, that doesnt mean you will attend to that SHL team, based on information above. It is always up to the player and his parents in the end, to decide which team you want to play for. Allthough, for obvious reasons, most players tend to visit SHL clubs before signing with the actuall school, and tends to play for that team in the end.

The teams have pretty big organization around this part, where SHL teams work hard to show how they apreciate specific players they would like to see grow in their organization, giving them a picture of the "future", how it could be like here, and in the end its up to the player to decide.

This school works as any highscool. just with more hockey.

SHL does not have drafts, as i wrote above its in the end always up to the player him self to decide, together with his parents.

Most young players, with bright future, growing up in Ornskoldsvik, will get their chance in MODO Hockey, SHL.

Our juniourleague is filled with skilled young players, sometimes more entertaining than watching SHL. 

For you guys that follow the junior world championship know what im talking about, Ullmark was a BEAST in the juniorleague, thats why he climbed so fast up to SHL.

I hope that gives you the answers u want! :)

Oh yes give us your view on them please :D

Other Sabres that play for MODO that I know of, Gustav Possler and Victor Olofsson. 

Well Gustav Possler had a really bright future until he was hurt badly by Ansi Salmela, an really uggly hit. 

After that, Gustav Possler have tried so hard to find his 'good old days', he has so much hockey within, but 

after this hit, where he was injured badly, and he missed that years JWC, and after all this sh1t happend he lost him

self, and he has never been himself since. He is trying very hard though, and we all have big hopes for him.

Here is an video/interview (In swedish though) with Gustav and a recap from a game which he scored twice (1 aborted), just before he got injured. 

Possler is '33. 

Victor Olofsson is one hell of an player, and you gonna love this dude. 

Ive been watching SHL for about 22 years in a row now, and i dont believe i have seen

anyone with a wristshot like Victor Olofsson. This wristshot, is always, so precise, so accurate, and so freggin hard. It is beautiful to watch this young man play, and he is gonna be with you next season most likely. 

He has ofcourse more than just a beautiful wristshot, he has speed, he has skills like no other juniour in MODO, and he has the power to create speed and space for his team with his technique.

I would say he is an light version of Jack eichle, you gonna love this kid. 

Edited by MODO Hockey

Thanks MODO for the info about the SHL and for the scouting reports.  That is certainly an interesting description of Olofsson.

One concern, though, would be his size -- hockeydb has him listed at 5'7", 155 lbs.

Maybe if he grows a bit more to perhaps 5'-9" and puts on 30 lb. of muscle he'll be okay.

Actually, Wikipedia lists him as 5'-10", 176.  VICTOR OLOFSSON WILL BE FINE.

OH!  And we've already drafted him.  Sweet.

Maybe if he grows a bit more to perhaps 5'-9" and puts on 30 lb. of muscle he'll be okay.

Actually, Wikipedia lists him as 5'-10", 176.  VICTOR OLOFSSON WILL BE FINE.

OH!  And we've already drafted him.  Sweet.

lol yes he is a Sabres prospect. If he is coming it will be next season. 

5'10" 180lbs is the current book on Victor but Tyler Johnson is 5'9", Tyler Ennis is 5'9" etc... so I think if he really has the wheels he has a good chance. I have been noticing a trend recently where smaller guys with tons of skating skills can succeed in todays NHL. Considering how much size we could surround him with, we shouldn't be concerned.  Kane - Eichel - Olofsson would have so much speed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.