Linus Ullmark: the Swede that we need

LGR4GM

So, the kid is solid. He has only been in NA for a little bit and is coming off of double hip surgery (which is why I think he is a little slow at getting up) however I have enjoyed his game thus far.

The thing to like, he is big, has good reactions, solid positioning, his puck-handling seems decent, and his glove hand doesn't suck.

Things to think about it, he is slow to recover, his side to side motion at times is meh, and he occasionally over plays the puck.

Thing to watch: How will teams adapt to him and how will he in turn adapt to them.

I like his tracking, positioning, and he has become more aggressive each NHL game he has played.  I'm afraid the book on him for now will be to get him down.  When he's down he looks like he's trapped in one of those sumo wrestler costumes.

He seemed to be down and rolling around less tonight, and wasn't sitting nearly as far back into the crease as he had the prior two games.  So, he's getting coached and responding.

I assume we have our pair, now, until Lehner comes back.  I wonder what they'll decide to do when Lehner's ready, especially if our goalies are doing "okay", if not "pretty good".

The gun has officially been jumped. 

haha well if it helps I think that when Lehner returns, Ullmark should go to Rochester and stay there for the duration of the season. He needs seasoning in NA and sitting the bench in Buffalo won't help.  A year in Rochester will be very good for him as he is still recovering and getting up to full speed following his surgery.

I like him. Think it sort of proves my point that goalies are kind of a dime a dozen. Here is a kid from no where that they plug in and he does fine. He still falls on his butt too much. Ray or May were commenting on that. He falls backwards instead of like Mike Quick onto his knees and right back up. 

I don't remember where I read that story but in his draft year, 2012, Kevin Devine and DR asked their Euro scout to find a good goalie prospect that would be around a bit later in the draft. The guy raved about Linus Ullmark and so in the 6th round the Sabres grabbed him and here we are.  GT should be treated like QB's, every year you draft 1 somewhere because they are unpredictable.  I think that getting Euro goalies is dangerous but also very rewarding because they slip in most drafts because they don't play in NA.  If Ullmark had been a Canadian jr. player, he probably goes in late round 2 or 3

haha well if it helps I think that when Lehner returns, Ullmark should go to Rochester and stay there for the duration of the season. He needs seasoning in NA and sitting the bench in Buffalo won't help.  A year in Rochester will be very good for him as he is still recovering and getting up to full speed following his surgery.

I don't remember where I read that story but in his draft year, 2012, Kevin Devine and DR asked their Euro scout to find a good goalie prospect that would be around a bit later in the draft. The guy raved about Linus Ullmark and so in the 6th round the Sabres grabbed him and here we are.  GT should be treated like QB's, every year you draft 1 somewhere because they are unpredictable.  I think that getting Euro goalies is dangerous but also very rewarding because they slip in most drafts because they don't play in NA.  If Ullmark had been a Canadian jr. player, he probably goes in late round 2 or 3

I watched this Ted.com video on athletics and how everything is becoming so specialized in sports. Body parts, body types all matter for specific sports and how well athletes do. All the great marathon runners are from a certain tribe from Kenya because they developed that way evolutionary wise. The video said something like one in ever 100 7 foot person in the world played in the NBA or something. Seems like goalies are sort of the same. Get a big guy who is athletic and coachable and they can probably do well. Learn the angels to begin with and they are on their way. 

I thought Ullmark looked pretty good. I don't know much about the mechanics of being a goalie, but to me Chad Johnson, even on his good nights, looks like he could let in any shot at any time, and seems to cough up the worst rebounds on every other shot. This kid just seems a little more confidence inspiring.

I like him. Think it sort of proves my point that goalies are kind of a dime a dozen. Here is a kid from no where that they plug in and he does fine. He still falls on his butt too much. Ray or May were commenting on that. He falls backwards instead of like Mike Quick onto his knees and right back up. 

Ullmark's angles cutting off the shooter are just about perfect.  He really isn't giving shooters much to look at. Strong game last night. 

What I've liked most about Ullmark up to this point is that he saw an opportunity to grasp the starting role (even if it is temporary) and he did it.  He had a shaky first game but looked real solid the next two.  Like others, I agree he still needs time to develop and Rochester is the best place for him when Lehner gets back.  

We also learned that when Johnson was given the same opportunity he totally blew it. Hopefully this was a wake up call and he can work himself into a reliable back-up role for the rest of the season.  Because if Lehner goes down again, and Ullmark keeps playing this well, it should be an easy decision to keep starting him over Johnson.  

It will be interesting to see who Disco Dan plays on Thursday after having a few days off.  

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.