Linus Ullmark: the Swede that we need

LGR4GM

Ullmark's angles cutting off the shooter are just about perfect.  He really isn't giving shooters much to look at. Strong game last night. 

Yeah, unlike Johnson he almost always stops the first shot since he is lined up correctly.  Some of the other stuff (movement, speed, etc.) can be learned with experience.  I agree with the above poster that he was playing at AHL speed in his first start.  He seems to be getting a little bit more used to the speed at this level.  2-1, 2.03 GAA, .930 Save %.

Johnson has been so bad, I don't think Bylsma has much choice but to play Linus until Lehner comes back.

Looks like a good raw talent 

I think the thing I like best about him is he recognizes his opportunity and is playing for a job (based on his post-game celebration).  He doesn't see himself as a place-holder or just trying to hold down a job in the NHL like, say, Johnson, but aspires to be a true No. 1 goalie for a team on the rise.  He wants to be here and it shows.  It's a pleasant surprise after Lehner's disappointment (not writing Lehner off, but disappointed in his injury).

I think the thing I like best about him is he recognizes his opportunity and is playing for a job (based on his post-game celebration).  He doesn't see himself as a place-holder or just trying to hold down a job in the NHL like, say, Johnson, but aspires to be a true No. 1 goalie for a team on the rise.  He wants to be here and it shows.  It's a pleasant surprise after Lehner's disappointment (not writing Lehner off, but disappointed in his injury).

But the team has played awesome in from of him. He did make some great saves moving across the crease but he seemed shaky on high shots. For me, jury is still out but for the first couple of starts of his career he's looked great. 

But the team has played awesome in from of him. He did make some great saves moving across the crease but he seemed shaky on high shots. For me, jury is still out but for the first couple of starts of his career he's looked great. 

What impressed me the most are really his angles. Rarely does a team miss net on new goalie, but there where at least a dozen shots that missed net last night because there was nowhere to shoot. 

I really think Missed shots is a really underrated stat for goalies. Really forcing a miss is often better than a save. 

Definitely.  Stage two is usually to try to get him moving laterally. 

Which he has not looked strong at so far. He's big, and he's good at taking away the initial shot, but I'm worried about him coming up with big saves when he's scrambling. He doesn't recover quickly from dropping down and that's not too good. His speed with the lower body needs a lot of work. 

What impressed me the most are really his angles. Rarely does a team miss net on new goalie, but there where at least a dozen shots that missed net last night because there was nowhere to shoot.

I think there were also a couple of "misses" that were actually saves where he barely got a piece of the puck and it missed the net.  In real time they looked like misses but on replay you could see him barely getting a piece of it.  (Not sure if they counted as shots.)

Which he has not looked strong at so far. He's big, and he's good at taking away the initial shot, but I'm worried about him coming up with big saves when he's scrambling. He doesn't recover quickly from dropping down and that's not too good. His speed with the lower body needs a lot of work. 

Maybe it's still rehab from the surgery.  He looks good, to a point but then maybe he doesn't have full flexibility yet.

Definitely.  Stage two is usually to try to get him moving laterally. 

He really scared me with that late in the game.  He came a long way out to challenge and the Isles forward dumped the puck to the far wall.  Took him ages to get over, had there been someone there to collect it there was an open goal for what seemed like forever. 

Something that caught my eye was from behind the net on one play he was able to fling the puck up and around the glass. Johnson I've noted, can't handle the puck. Haven't seen enough to say Ullmark can or cant but it seems more likely he can from what I have seen so far.

If he continues to play well in Lehner's abscence he'll be a very attractive piece to add to a larger deal for somebody like a Tyson Barrie (pending RFA).

Murray has too much invested in Lehner who is only 2 years older than Ullmark.   

Something that caught my eye was from behind the net on one play he was able to fling the puck up and around the glass. Johnson I've noted, can't handle the puck. Haven't seen enough to say Ullmark can or cant but it seems more likely he can from what I have seen so far.

Johnson's puck-handling is really poor. 

I watched this Ted.com video on athletics and how everything is becoming so specialized in sports. Body parts, body types all matter for specific sports and how well athletes do. All the great marathon runners are from a certain tribe from Kenya because they developed that way evolutionary wise. The video said something like one in ever 100 7 foot person in the world played in the NBA or something. Seems like goalies are sort of the same. Get a big guy who is athletic and coachable and they can probably do well. Learn the angels to begin with and they are on their way. 

A few years ago, 2012 I believe, Chris Osgood mentioned scouts he once played w/ were being told to not even look at a guy less than 6 feet. In comparison to 1999, the amount of Canadian goalies is down 40%. Goalies from Scandinavia are on the rise. 

A few years ago, 2012 I believe, Chris Osgood mentioned scouts he once played w/ were being told to not even look at a guy less than 6 feet. In comparison to 1999, the amount of Canadian goalies is down 40%. Goalies from Scandinavia are on the rise. 

All the taller athletic kids in NA are playing football or basketball, two sports you can't play competitively if you're a club hockey player as a kid/teenager.   

I noticed this as well. His puck handling seems strong.

This was eons ago in a non-competitive environment, but I don't recall this being an issue at development camp after he was drafted. Maybe it's the surgery, or maybe it wasn't noticeable because he wasn't facing NHL pressure and speed, but I remember thinking he was really smooth in net. Of course, I'm not exactly a goalie expert either, so there's that.

All the taller athletic kids in NA are playing football or basketball, two sports you can't play competitively if you're a club hockey player as a kid/teenager.   

Make that all the taller athletic kids in the United States. Wouldn't include Canada on that. 

Edited by Thanes16

If he continues to play well in Lehner's abscence he'll be a very attractive piece to add to a larger deal for somebody like a Tyson Barrie (pending RFA).

Murray has too much invested in Lehner who is only 2 years older than Ullmark.   

If "Zero F*cks Given" is a real thing, this won't matter.  Keep the goalie that gives us the best chance to win and trade the other. 

It's also not a decision they'd have to make for a while since they're both under contract -- Lehner through 2017 and Ullmark through 2018.

It seems obvious that a bigger goalie covers more space, but being able to see over the guys standing in front is a major plus as well

If "Zero F*cks Given" is a real thing, this won't matter. Keep the goalie that gives us the best chance to win and trade the other.

It's also not a decision they'd have to make for a while since they're both under contract -- Lehner through 2017 and Ullmark through 2018.

Good point, though I think Murray stays with Lehner because he believes in him

Assuming Murray and Bylsma have a better relationship than Murray and Nolan, it won't be purely Murray's call. If Bylsma really wants Ullmark to stay up and compete with Lehner, I have a hard time seeing Murray ignoring him.

And personally I don't have a problem with two #1 goalies splitting time.  If one of them is clearly better than the other, so be it, but if they're close I would expect them to drive each other.

Guess this belongs here more :)

This is pure gold! I love the passion and fire this guy plays with. I was concerned with him being a little slow getting up and side to side but was reminded in this thread about his double hip surgeries. The fact that he wasn't expected back till December and returned 2 months early is impressive, once he gets the rest of his flexibility back it will be a different story. I've liked his style and play so far and it'll be nice if he can keep it up and help the Sabres go on a little run before Lehner comes back. After that I hope the best goalie plays.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.