Linus Ullmark: the Swede that we need

LGR4GM

One bad game, one mediocre game, one good game.

Not a lot to go on.

Like the trend.

I can't give much of an opinion though until the sample size is much, much greater.  I'm inclined to give it the eleven treatment with quarterbacks.  Lets see what he looks like half-way through next season.  By then I'll start to have a strengthening opinion.

So Linus the Pinus and The Jacker. It is fate. It is written. It was seen, by Nostradamus no less.

In the house of the translator of Bourg,
The letters will be found on the table,
One-eyed, red-haired, white, hoary-headed will hold the course,
Which will change for the new Constable.

I like him. Think it sort of proves my point that goalies are kind of a dime a dozen. Here is a kid from no where that they plug in and he does fine. He still falls on his butt too much. 

Dime a dozen may be overstating it, but not by too much.

I really think Missed shots is a really underrated stat for goalies. Really forcing a miss is often better than a save. 

I hafta think that's a #fancystat being tracked in some parents' basement somewhere.

I also think that GMTM's known preference for big-bodied GTs is one that makes for better predictive power when it comes to GT prospects.

Just keep in mind when teams learn his tendencies it will impact his numbers a bit.

Yep. Call it the Roman Cechmanek Principle.

when he's scrambling. 

He is quite scrambly at times. I always think the puck is about to go in when he gets like that.

Another reason to love Leenus

Q:  "What have you been learning each game?  It seems like you're getting better and better each game as you play here in the NHL.  What have you been learning as you've moved along here?"

A:  "I think we just as a team have become better and better.  Like... like we buy in every day.  It's not me that's making the difference, it's the team that's making the difference, every game and every night, and it feels, uh... we have great confidence in our play style and how we go into, it's like we're go into war every night."

The Buffalo Sabres, without a goalie to strongly identify with, to exemplify the team, are empty.  Ever since moody, defiant, brooding Ryan Miller was traded, I've been waiting for The One that would replace him.  I think I've found The One.

Edited by The Big Johnson

The Buffalo Sabres, without a goalie to strongly identify with, to exemplify the team, are empty.  Ever since moody, defiant, brooding Ryan Miller was traded, I've been waiting for The One that would replace him.  I think I've found The One.

So now you're The Big Linus?

I'd be disappointed if we stuck with the lesser option just because the GM has warm fuzzies about the guy.  And I also think that would count as "F*cks Given."  

Sticking with the lesser option is the viable option. Even if Ullmark rips off Hasek like numbers for the next month, he's going down. Murray believes in Lehner, and Ullmark gets his playing time. It's a win-win in Murray's eyes

Haven't seen anything to believe that he'd stick w/ Lehner at the expense of W's if it came to that.

This year isn't about W's, it's about developing the team, and Murray clearly believes Lehner is an intricate part of that future success. 

Another reason to love Leenus

Q:  "What have you been learning each game?  It seems like you're getting better and better each game as you play here in the NHL.  What have you been learning as you've moved along here?"

A:  "I think we just as a team have become better and better.  Like... like we buy in every day.  It's not me that's making the difference, it's the team that's making the difference, every game and every night, and it feels, uh... we have great confidence in our play style and how we go into, it's like we're go into war every night."

Ok, I love this as much as anyone else does, but let's hear that after game 60.  Or after game 120, or 180, as a Sabre.  He's a rookie, up in the NHL for a few games so far.  Of COURSE he's charged up.

Not that I want him to fail or anything like that.  I'm just thinking that this is youthful exuberance and nothing more.

Sticking with the lesser option is the viable option. Even if Ullmark rips off Hasek like numbers for the next month, he's going down. Murray believes in Lehner, and Ullmark gets his playing time. It's a win-win in Murray's eyes

This year isn't about W's, it's about developing the team, and Murray clearly believes Lehner is an intricate part of that future success. 

I think if TM believed that Ullmark is better capable of providing wins than Lehner, he'd keep him up.  Yes, it's about development.  But he's not turning down W's at this point.  I don't believe it.

I think if TM believed that Ullmark is better capable of providing wins than Lehner, he'd keep him up.  Yes, it's about development.  But he's not turning down W's at this point.  I don't believe it.

I do; it's 100% development over winning, and keeping UIllmark here hurts his development or Lehner's. Ullmark is 22, and played a total of what? 6 NA games? There is no reason to keep him here when Lehner gets back to chase an 8th seed when Lehner could realistically do the same 

I do; it's 100% development over winning, and keeping UIllmark here hurts his development or Lehner's. Ullmark is 22, and played a total of what? 6 NA games? There is no reason to keep him here when Lehner gets back to chase an 8th seed when Lehner could realistically do the same 

This is all idle speculation of course.  *IF* Ullmark is better (the premise I started with) there is simply no need to develop him in the AHL.  The reason to keep him up here would be to round the team out, and prepare them as a cohesive group.  With Lehner as #2.

I'm not questioning your thought that Ullmark needs seasoning.  I am questioning the logic that no matter how well he does he should go down.  It's the Reinhart argument all over again.  If he's playing at this level equal to or better to Lehner, further AHL time is unnecessary.  He'd be outplaying a bonafide NHL goalie.

This is all idle speculation of course.  *IF* Ullmark is better (the premise I started with) there is simply no need to develop him in the AHL.  The reason to keep him up here would be to round the team out, and prepare them as a cohesive group.  With Lehner as #2.

I'm not questioning your thought that Ullmark needs seasoning.  I am questioning the logic that no matter how well he does he should go down.  It's the Reinhart argument all over again.  If he's playing at this level equal to or better to Lehner, further AHL time is unnecessary.  He'd be outplaying a bonafide NHL goalie.

There are some key differences between these cases. 

-Ullmark would be taking another's spot, another who is young, promising, and cannot simply play anywhere else

-As promising as Ullmark is, he is not Reinhart. He is coming from Europe, and was not nearly as touted/promising as Samson. Skipping the AHL is no easy feat, Samson doing it is the exception to the rule, Ullmark would simply be following the rule. Even if he starts ripping off a month of insane wins, it's still a month of wins. Throw him down in the AHL for a couple months, see if he dominates, see if Lehner is cold, then make a decision. 

-

There are some key differences between these cases.

-Ullmark would be taking another's spot, another who is young, promising, and cannot simply play anywhere else

-As promising as Ullmark is, he is not Reinhart. He is coming from Europe, and was not nearly as touted/promising as Samson. Skipping the AHL is no easy feat, Samson doing it is the exception to the rule, Ullmark would simply be following the rule. Even if he starts ripping off a month of insane wins, it's still a month of wins. Throw him down in the AHL for a couple months, see if he dominates, see if Lehner is cold, then make a decision.

-

I can't agree with this at all. If the future is ideal and Ullmark is doing awesome the last thing I'd do is try to mess with the positive alien signals he's recieving.

Either way, aren't high ankle sprains supposed to be very tough for goalies to come back from? What is Lehner's timetable? He would qualify for an AHL conditioning stint, right?

I can't agree with this at all. If the future is ideal and Ullmark is doing awesome the last thing I'd do is try to mess with the positive alien signals he's recieving.

Either way, aren't high ankle sprains supposed to be very tough for goalies to come back from? What is Lehner's timetable? He would qualify for an AHL conditioning stint, right?

Then what? Just sit Lehner?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.