Let's talk about Yeichel

Stads

I thought it was a port manteau of yikes and Eichel, meant to express surprise.

that was my best guess as well, but... "meh." I wouldn't mind it if he used it here and there, but using it exclusively is a bummer.

i used "Eicharamba!" (¡Ay, caramba!) on twitter a few weeks ago, but it didn't catch on.  :D I could totally envision Rick using that one, though.

Whoever is calling the goal could shout out "popeye's chicken is fricken' awesome!" after an Eichel goal and it wouldn't affect my enthusiasm. It's a Sabres/Eichel goal!! The call is always secondary. Sure great calls can add to it and make goals even better, but they can't take away from the base excitement, for me.

Well... Popeye's chicken is pretty awesome.

"Popeye's chicken is pretty awesome"

lol, that's the first thing I thought.

I agree with Thorny, the call really doesn't matter all that much to me, as long as there's a goal. Besides lately by the time RJ gets the call out, the wife is usually in with the "who scored, was that us" ?

that was my best guess as well, but... "meh." I wouldn't mind it if he used it here and there, but using it exclusively is a bummer.

i used "Eicharamba!" (¡Ay, caramba!) on twitter a few weeks ago, but it didn't catch on. :D I could totally envision Rick using that one, though.

I think like the Eicharamba call (I actually pointed out that you used it when you tweeted it). It's very Rick, too.

• 1 month later...

Rick has honestly made me not hate that call. I find myself whispering it to myself at work or in the store.

This image is hilarious to me. Now I'll know if I ever come across a SS in public, just the faint whispering of 'Yeichel'

Hahaha this is hilarious. I actually catch myself doing that too. I like the call now.

The faint whispering thing reminds me of Marge's quote in the Simpsons..."Lowenstein.....Lowenstein..."

You do realize that Jack is a VERY common diminutive form for John, right?

No, I don't. Not sure why I don't. Maybe because I don't know anyone with either name? Except for my dad, and no one has ever called him Jack, and if they did they'd get a very incredulous look.

Edited by Randall Flagg

So according to Wikipedia, Jack isn't even Eichel's name, it's a nickname. He's John Robert Eichel. Was anyone aware of this? I had no idea.

Read this, and I was a bit ohh, man.

You do realize that Jack is a VERY common diminutive form for John, right?

The exchange was handled with great class and restraint.

I suspect there are things that the old codgers around here would not know, and the young 'uns would be like "Grandpa! C'mon! Get with the times!"

I just learned that Peggy is a derivative of Margaret. Never dawned on me.

I was reminded recently that my late grandmother's Christian name was Ann (as in the Saint, not the Queen), even though everyone knew her as Nancy (h/t to Sir Paul).

I'd long thought her godmother's use of the name "Nancy" was purely capricious, but evidently Nancy does derive from Ann.

Btw, Margaret may have the best collection of derivatives: Meg, Meggie, Peg, Margot, and even Daisy (from the French "marguerite" (a kind of perennial daisy)).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.