Who would you trade for Stamkos

dejeanneret

Seeing that the Sabres are rumoured to be highly interested in him since the summer.

Going on his eight season with a ton of production, yet still only 25.  He only has one year left on his contract and is expected to garner interest in the 10 million range next season, which the Bolts won't want to pony up.  The Sabres have the cap space.

I have a feeling for the Sabres to get him they would have to give up Reinhart. and another top prospect

I'm thinking

Reinhart

Baptiste

Pysyk

1st rounder 2016

for

Stamkos

I think he is a different maker that would create lines like:

Kane   Stamkos   Ennis

OReilly   Eichel   Gionta

Moulson Girgenson McGinn

Deslaurier  Legwand/Larsson  Foligno

Granted the Sabres look like a team about to burst out in a scoring spree, this trade would for sure make them the most potent top 6 in hockey.

The question would be what one would think fair value is to get a stud like Stamkos

If we can work an extension before we make that deal then yes. But it's not enough.

I know so many people automatically say "but how do we pay everybody" when Stamkos comes up... This is my only thought on that: with a player as talented as Stamkos you worry about acquiring him first and worry about contracts later. He's truly elite so it's not a situation where you'll get burned later. Just make sure you spread the talent/money out for other players.

With that said I don't think it'll happen.

If we can work an extension before we make that deal then yes. But it's not enough.

I know so many people automatically say "but how do we pay everybody" when Stamkos comes up... This is my only thought on that: with a player as talented as Stamkos you worry about acquiring him first and worry about contracts later. He's truly elite so it's not a situation where you'll get burned later. Just make sure you spread the talent/money out for other players.

With that said I don't think it'll happen.

I agree.  An extension has to be in place before pulling the trigger.  But Murray hasn't been shy abou that stuff, and showed it by extending OReilly shortly after trade.  Murray knows a guy like Stamkos will be your top center on your team and most likely in the league for the next 7 years.  That's worth a boatload of cash.

Edited by dejeanneret

If the opportunity truly presented itself to acuire a player like Stamkos there's no one on the roster besides Jack that should stop that.  With that said obviously it would take multiple players and picks and I'm pretty sure there's not any two players on our roster that I wouldn't trade besides Jack.

I don't know if there is any "high" interest in Stamkos. All that's been mentioned is there were talks before the draft. For all we know Yzerman called Murray to see if a deal could be swung involving the #2 pick.

Now, if it came to that, I would trade very little for him even if an extension was in the works beforehand. This is Eichel's team. Us fans have spent a few years of misery patiently waiting for this team to be built and ready to move forward. Too much risk involved, too much future at stake. It would be a bad move.

Chad Johnson.

Yup, that's about it.

Murray said today in WGR that he was never offered Stamkos for the #2 pick. Probably worth a quick clarification there.

I imagine the names Risto, Reinhart, Ennis, McCabe and Pysyk are all in the conversation if any are had. Picks. As much as we have I don't even know if we have the right pieces to make a deal... Especially considering Tampa isn't going to be looking at futures.

Murray no longer has the tools in the shed to pull off this kind of trade. He has pretty much played his cards to acquire Kane, Bogo, and O'Reilly. I believe any future moves would involve Ennis or Girgs. These are pretty much all we have left of any sort of value if Murray wanted to acquire a top 4 Dman. Problem is we have NOBODY in the system remotely close that is ready to take the position that would be vacated by moving any forwards right now.

I'd trade him Ryan O'Reilly before I'd give up Reinhart. Eichel, Reinhart, and Ristolainen would be the only players who woud be off the table. Tampa has the leverage in that just about every team would love to acquire Stamkos but most teams don't have the cap space to make him a viable long term option.

I'd trade him Ryan O'Reilly before I'd give up Reinhart. Eichel, Reinhart, and Ristolainen would be the only players who woud be off the table. Tampa has the leverage in that just about every team would love to acquire Stamkos but most teams don't have the cap space to make him a viable long term option.

They don't have as much leverage because Stamkos can leave as an UFA and they get nothing.

Seeing that the Sabres are rumoured to be highly interested in him since the summer.

Going on his eight season with a ton of production, yet still only 25.  He only has one year left on his contract and is expected to garner interest in the 10 million range next season, which the Bolts won't want to pony up.  The Sabres have the cap space.

I have a feeling for the Sabres to get him they would have to give up Reinhart. and another top prospect

I'm thinking

Reinhart

Baptiste

Pysyk

1st rounder 2016

for

Stamkos

I think he is a different maker that would create lines like:

Kane   Stamkos   Ennis

OReilly   Eichel   Gionta

Moulson Girgenson McGinn

Deslaurier  Legwand/Larsson  Foligno

Granted the Sabres look like a team about to burst out in a scoring spree, this trade would for sure make them the most potent top 6 in hockey.

The question would be what one would think fair value is to get a stud like Stamkos

You're not even getting a 2nd phone call from the Lightning with what you have offered. You are looking to pick-up the premier goal scorer in the NHL who has yet to hit his prime, the price is going to hurt. If you are really interested in Stamkos you better get use to the idea of moving Girgenson, Ristolainen, Reinhart and multiple #1 picks & prospects.  The lightning will assuredly be looking for NHL ready assets and futures.  

They don't have as much leverage because Stamkos can leave as an UFA and they get nothing.

The leverage comes from all the teams that would be in that bidding war. A player like Stamkos being available is unprecedented. I can't remember the last time a 25 year old 50-60 goal scored hit the trade market. 

Keith Jones predicted this week that next year Stamkos will be a Maple Leaf.

I can tell you with almost 100% certainty that if he does not sign with Tampa he will end up a Leaf. The owner down here has told Yzerman to do what it takes. If Stamkos doesn't sign with Tampa it will not be because Tampa didn't offer him enough. When talk radio discusses the Stamkos issue it always involves his desire to play in Toronto.

If the opportunity truly presented itself to acuire a player like Stamkos there's no one on the roster besides Jack that should stop that.  With that said obviously it would take multiple players and picks and I'm pretty sure there's not any two players on our roster that I wouldn't trade besides Jack.

That's the problem.  I think the trade would require Murray to break the team apart again.

Murray no longer has the tools in the shed to pull off this kind of trade. He has pretty much played his cards to acquire Kane, Bogo, and O'Reilly. I believe any future moves would involve Ennis or Girgs. These are pretty much all we have left of any sort of value if Murray wanted to acquire a top 4 Dman. Problem is we have NOBODY in the system remotely close that is ready to take the position that would be vacated by moving any forwards right now.

I agree, and I'm not sure it's a bad thing.

Keith Jones predicted this week that next year Stamkos will be a Maple Leaf.

Who do the Leaves have that Tampa would want in that trade?  Is Toronto going to trade what basically amounts to its whole core for Stamkos?  If so, I'm happy.

Edited by eleven

No, here's why.

You are talking Reinhart to start. Add in Zemgus, Ristolainen, and 1st round pick in 2016.  That's a baseline.

or

You can simply wait for Reinhart and Eichel to mature and have players who are better than Stamkos.

Edited by LGR4GM

I'm really curious to see this play out. I think he re-signs before the season ends, but just for funsies, let's say he tells Yzerman after the New Year that he's bolting. TB is of course a Cup favorite, and while I think Toronto has some very attractive pieces (Nylander, Marner, and Rielly), they have zero that would really help a Cup run, especially in comparison to Stamkos. If you're Yzerman, what do you do? Do the long term smart thing and move him for a big package (and likely forfeit a real Cup chance), or say screw it and chase the Cup? I'm glad that's not my call to make.

I'm not for trading for him at all, for any reasonable offer.

Stamkos is a win-now type of guy. Sure, he is good enough he will be one of those players who is still good when he is 30, 31....but you are going to be paying money (in a cap world) for the 26-27 year old Stamkos when he is 31.

I don't want to give up any legit prospects who will be a better bargain in 3-5 year from now (when this TEAM is supposed to be hitting its 'multi-year' peak).

Unless the Sabres got a truly remarkable deal from Tampa, and unless he ALSO was willing to sign a deal for less than $8 a year...I don't really want him on this team.

Edited by mjd1001

Who do the Leaves have that Tampa would want in that trade? Is Toronto going to trade what basically amounts to its whole core for Stamkos? If so, I'm happy.

They don't have to trade anyone. He will be an unrestricted free agent able to sign with any team.

1). He's world class, so I'm obviously interested.

2). It'd have to be a "fleece 'em deal", and that ain't happen in'. To Mr Deluca's point, you'd not get a return call.

3). Real value for value would completely alter our rebuild, and therefore set it back. One stud with middling players would remain in Buffalo. Not that you can't build around a stud, but why reset the clock with one who has 7 years in the league?

4). Buffalo has its good players, a few lesser stars, and a stud or two to come.

5). Assemble over a few years, nurture for a few years, enjoy for many years is the path we're on.

6). I love watching the guy in Tampa. GMTM chose a different path. I like it. It's underway.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.