Who would you trade for Stamkos

dejeanneret

Philosophical question: is it better for Toronto to suffer, or have them think they're going to be good (like trading for Stamkos) and then suffering for other reasons?

If they had to trade for him it would be a different story, they may just have to dish out money to him and suddenly they might have a team.

They are going to suffer and get the #1 pick and draft Matthews. Then they will sign Stamkos and add him to Marner and Nylander. Suddenly they aren't suffering anymore. Good chance their rebuild is one we envy in 2 years.

Except they'd have to be incredibly lucky to get the #1 pick.  But they're not us so it's definitely happening.

Myers did have to go. Just think he could have fetched players with a lot less of those IFS. Just gets tiring that every freaking move we make always has IFS. There are no IFS in Winnipeg right now. Myers is rock solid and Stafford has been one of their best players since he got off the plane.

Myers is a 2nd pair Dman and if Stafford has been one of their best players, that team isn't winning squat (he's also getting only 17 minutes per game, which doesn't exactly scream "among the best players"). It's also worth noting that while Stafford has 5 goals this year, he's currently shooting 26%. Raise your hand if you think that's going to continue.

Myers is a 2nd pair Dman and if Stafford has been one of their best players, that team isn't winning squat (he's also getting only 17 minutes per game, which doesn't exactly scream "among the best players"). It's also worth noting that while Stafford has 5 goals this year, he's currently shooting 26%. Raise your hand if you think that's going to continue.

Stafford has been one of their best forwards since the day he got there. That is undeniable. Shooting percentage or not. The dude got his change of scenery and revived his career. It happens.

Stafford has been one of their best forwards since the day he got there. That is undeniable. Shooting percentage or not. The dude got his change of scenery and revived his career. It happens.

Or since we're not watching him short-arm passes every night, we're removed from bitching about him and just focused on the stat sheet while he's actually the same guy he's ever been. He's currently riding a nice wave of puck luck (SH% last year was 5 points above his career average, this year it's 15 points above) which as we've seen in the past (hello 30 goal season), it's going to last. But I guess in a world where Murray sucks and the sky has in fact fallen, he's great now.

But that doesn't happen if he says in Buffalo.  He'd probably be hanging around on the third line, nibbling at second, frustrated by the kids and new arrivals supplanting him.  Or if the Sabres didn't trade him, they probably don't even sign him at the end of the season.  Good for him but as a Sabres fan it doesn't matter one iota to me.

I think the Stamkos rumours to buffalo came from the fact his management is the same as many of our current sabres.

That being said if murray trades for him I'm sure a deal is already pretty much in place, and would be lovely to just piss off Toronto.

But any trade here starts with Reinhart + 1st round pick (wouldn't add more than larsson though.   Doubt they'll want young D seeing they are loaded.

Well, Myers is 2nd on the team in ice time, so he's not "2nd pair."

Again -- he's played about 30 games there, and his shooting %age is well above his career average.  It will return to earth as inevitably as the tide.

Stafford is a solid all-around player.  He's never going to be a guy you can depend on to deliver offense in crunch time.

Or since we're not watching him short-arm passes every night, we're removed from bitching about him and just focused on the stat sheet while he's actually the same guy he's ever been. He's currently riding a nice wave of puck luck (SH% last year was 5 points above his career average, this year it's 15 points above) which as we've seen in the past (hello 30 goal season), it's going to last. But I guess in a world where Murray sucks and the sky has in fact fallen, he's great now.

I generally agree with you about Stafford, and about SickNFla's perspective on this.  But to be fair, he's 3rd on the Jets in ice time among forwards and in addition to the stats, we also have Ducky's perspective, which generally has seemed pretty knowledgeable.

Well, Myers is 2nd on the team in ice time, so he's not "2nd pair."

Again -- he's played about 30 games there, and his shooting %age is well above his career average. It will return to earth as inevitably as the tide.

Stafford is a solid all-around player. He's never going to be a guy you can depend on to deliver offense in crunch time.

I generally agree with you about Stafford, and about SickNFla's perspective on this. But to be fair, he's 3rd on the Jets in ice time among forwards and in addition to the stats, we also have Ducky's perspective, which generally has seemed pretty knowledgeable.

I stand corrected regarding ice usage. Maurice must use really balanced minutes, because no way would I have guessed 21 minutes and 17 minutes would be 2nd and 3rd in ice time at their positions.

I stand corrected regarding ice usage. Maurice must use really balanced minutes, because no way would I have guessed 21 minutes and 17 minutes would be 2nd and 3rd in ice time at their positions.

And Myers has been a train-wreck for them so far this season. -5 so far, on a winning team, and not producing offensively. Also from watching the games, not only is he on for many of the goals, he has had direct responsibility for many of them. Myers had a chance in Winnipeg, if they would have played him in a proper-for-him second pairing role. He is floundering while being asked to be a top pairing defenseman this season.

As has always been the case with Myers.

And Myers has been a train-wreck for them so far this season. -5 so far, on a winning team, and not producing offensively. Also from watching the games, not only is he on for many of the goals, he has had direct responsibility for many of them. Myers had a chance in Winnipeg, if they would have played him in a proper-for-him second pairing role. He is floundering while being asked to be a top pairing defenseman this season.

As has always been the case with Myers.

I hope Ducky sees this. I'm patiently waiting for the day Jets fans come to the inevitable realization that is Tyler Myers

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.