Who would you trade for Stamkos

dejeanneret

No, here's why.

You are talking Reinhart to start. Add in Zemgus, Ristolainen, and 1st round pick in 2016. That's a baseline.

or

You can simply wait for Reinhart and Eichel to mature and have players who are better than Stamkos.

It's highly doubtful they both end up better than a top-five player in the league.

I'm not for trading for him at all, for any reasonable offer.

Stamkos is a win-now type of guy. Sure, he is good enough he will be one of those players who is still good when he is 30, 31....but you are going to be paying money (in a cap world) for the 26-27 year old Stamkos when he is 31.

I don't want to give up any legit prospects who will be a better bargain in 3-5 year from now (when this TEAM is supposed to be hitting its 'multi-year' peak).

Unless the Sabres got a truly remarkable deal from Tampa, and unless he ALSO was willing to sign a deal for less than $8 a year...I don't really want him on this team.

If you land Steven Stamkos it's not going to be 5-6 years until you're contending. This is true about a lot of guys but it's not true about the league's elite. They change the team immediately.

If you land Steven Stamkos it's not going to be 5-6 years until you're contending. This is true about a lot of guys but it's not true about the league's elite. They change the team immediately.

True for some teams, don't think it applies to ours. He just doesn't address the key needs: D and goaltending. Even if he ended up with 50 goals...didn't he win the Richard the year Tampa drafted Drouin #3 overall?

I really don't see it being feasible.  While Stamkos is an elite player and someone that you can instantly sell your fan base on, the depth in the system isn't that which can afford giving up higher end assets.  Reinhart, Eichel and Ristolainen should be untouchable.  So unless the group of Ennis, O'Reilly or someone in that range as a center piece makes sense I doubt it happens.  You are probably better off trying to get him in UFA than you are in a trade offer.  Keeping the first round pick is also important as the team continues to build around the core group.  Stamkos is great, and only 25, but I'd personally rather trade for a Drew Doughty, Seth Jones, Roman Josi, type.  Someone who is in their prime or near prime that will both fill the void at elite puck handling and provide stalwart defense on the back end.  Chicago needs Toews and Kane, but would not have won if they did not have Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook.  Call me crazy, but I would gladly take the next Hedman before I would take the next Stamkos. 

Edited by TheCerebral1

This is something I don't expect to happen, at all. But Murray should be having the conversations if Yzerman is listening. If it's going to take too much (which I expect it would) then just see if it gets to free agency... I'd be willing to move a few big pieces for it to happen, but probably not enough to make a deal go down.

TB would insist on Reinhart, O'Reilly, and Risto & additional. Quite likely Girgensons is gone too.

Sabres would have 2 incredible blocks to build around but the rest of this season would get ugly as their 2nd & 3rd lines are once again staffed w/ 4th liners & AHLers.

After suffering through the tank, not ready to see them high in the AM derby even though they'd come away w/ the best player in the deal.

TB would insist on Reinhart, O'Reilly, and Risto & additional. Quite likely Girgensons is gone too.

Sabres would have 2 incredible blocks to build around but the rest of this season would get ugly as their 2nd & 3rd lines are once again staffed w/ 4th liners & AHLers.

After suffering through the tank, not ready to see them high in the AM derby even though they'd come away w/ the best player in the deal.

Realistically where do you see them finishing this year? I see them picking in the 6-10 range. If that is the case a late season swoon (I will never use the word tank again) would not break my heart.

Realistically where do you see them finishing this year? I see them picking in the 6-10 range. If that is the case a late season swoon (I will never use the word tank again) would not break my heart.

I expect them to be low 90's and finish about 10th in the East. Having 1 very good line and nothing else up front & a bad D would make for painful hockey. Not ready to go through that again.

I expect them to be low 90's and finish about 10th in the East. Having 1 very good line and nothing else up front & a bad D would make for painful hockey. Not ready to go through that again.

Neither do I. I wasn't suggesting going for Stamkos. Just a general question in regards to the dreaded draft position.

Also, low 90s is a tad overzealous. No way this D and goaltending accomplishes that.

Edited by sicknfla

I think the Lightning are stacked with young talent and could contend for several years with or without Stamkos. Stamkos is also signed with Terry Pegula's former sports agency (Newport Sports Agency) which also represents Ryan O'Reilly and Evander Kane so that could sway things slightly towards the Sabres. 

Neither do I. I wasn't suggesting going for Stamkos. Just a general question in regards to the dreaded draft position.

Also, low 90s is a tad overzealous. No way this D and goaltending accomplishes that.

We shall see. And who said THIS is the D & G they go through the season with?

I think the Lightning are stacked with young talent and could contend for several years with or without Stamkos. Stamkos is also signed with Terry Pegula's former sports agency (Newport Sports Agency) which also represents Ryan O'Reilly and Evander Kane so that could sway things slightly towards the Sabres. 

Interesting. 

We shall see. And who said THIS is the D & G they go through the season with?

The only way they don't go with this D all year is if they make a deal. Honestly, Murray at this point scares the crap out of me with his deals. I don't want anymore player, prospect, pick type of deals. We don't have the assets anymore for this. I am sorry but there is no quick fix for this D unless you want to say goodbye to Ennis, Girgs, or the first round pick. I don't want to get rid of any of that.

Bogo will help and eventually Lehner will come back. However, as the season goes on Weber, Fransen, and Gorges are going to get more and more dinged up. That means they will be even slower than they are now. Murray is going to ride out this D and Lehner. That isn't sniffing low 90s. Low 70s is more like it.

This is a worthy conversation. A little speculation doesn't hurt.

But a new way of asking the same question:

Would you pursue Stamkos if he becomes a free agent? What would you offer him?

For me it's the most obvious yes possible. All 30 teams should contact his agent the second they can. Considering this it's probably going to take $11M a season (slightly more than Toews and Kane) which would be a 7 year, $77M deal. The MAX he's allowed per year under the current cap is just over $14M... I don't know if some team is going to go crazy and offer him that.

I think Murray is actively looking to trade for a G a D and Stamkos right now, all the good ones stay busy. With Stamkos a simple call is actively busy, he will keep his name in that convo till its done 

In regards to if he becomes a free agent..

Whatever the cost I think Murray will be involved. I can't see him wanting to lose Stamkos to Toronto for $. He could front load a bit to offset Jack and Risto future contracts. Not sure their cap situation but, f someone like the Rangers get involved with Stamkos he could end up at 12.5-13/yr. That would be too much imo

Edited by Bills12Sabres11

I think Murray is actively looking to trade for a G a D and Stamkos right now, all the good ones stay busy. With Stamkos a simple call is actively busy, he will keep his name in that convo till its done

In regards to if he becomes a free agent..

Whatever the cost I think Murray will be involved. I can't see him wanting to lose Stamkos to Toronto for $. He could front load a bit to offset Jack and Risto future contracts. Not sure their cap situation but, f someone like the Rangers get involved with Stamkos he could end up at 12.5-13/yr. That would be too much imo

I don't know if Risto is going to cost as much as you think. IMO, he hasn't earned big money yet. A pay increase obviously but nothing that will hinder this team.

The only way they don't go with this D all year is if they make a deal. Honestly, Murray at this point scares the crap out of me with his deals. I don't want anymore player, prospect, pick type of deals. We don't have the assets anymore for this. I am sorry but there is no quick fix for this D unless you want to say goodbye to Ennis, Girgs, or the first round pick. I don't want to get rid of any of that.

Bogo will help and eventually Lehner will come back. However, as the season goes on Weber, Fransen, and Gorges are going to get more and more dinged up. That means they will be even slower than they are now. Murray is going to ride out this D and Lehner. That isn't sniffing low 90s. Low 70s is more like it.

Low 70's was 5th worst last year. This team isn't low 70's bad by any stretch.

I will be mildly surprised if there are no in season trades. I'd expect a D-man that helps LT is brought in. Combine him w/ Bogo & the return of Lehner and this team is close to a playoff team. Low 90's would be 10th in either conference and that is how I see this team. They are better than TO, NJ, Carolina, & C-bus (surprising all but TB). When all is said & done I expect them to be better than Boston & Filly as well.

Low 70's was 5th worst last year. This team isn't low 70's bad by any stretch.

I will be mildly surprised if there are no in season trades. I'd expect a D-man that helps LT is brought in. Combine him w/ Bogo & the return of Lehner and this team is close to a playoff team. Low 90's would be 10th in either conference and that is how I see this team. They are better than TO, NJ, Carolina, & C-bus (surprising all but TB). When all is said & done I expect them to be better than Boston & Filly as well.

They're on pace for 47 points. There's basically zero chance that keeps up, but they'd have to double their current pace to get to the 90s. I don't see that happening. I see them finishing in the 70s unless something big changes.

I don't know if Risto is going to cost as much as you think. IMO, he hasn't earned big money yet. A pay increase obviously but nothing that will hinder this team.

I'm looking more towards his contract after next but yes, so far he hasn't warranted it. I'm projecting a little. 

There's no way they have that much leverage to command those 4 players and they know it.  They're the one's in a bad spot not the Sabres.

There's no way they have that much leverage to command those 4 players and they know it.  They're the one's in a bad spot not the Sabres.

I think the Lightning can afford to take less because of their embarrassment of riches they already possess, doesn't mean they will but i feel Yzerman is very confident and trusts his coach as well. Stamkos has a no movement or limited no movement this year correct? If so then that eliminates the pretenders right away.

I definitely think GMTM is in talks with Tampa because its free to talk, but at this point what team isnt. I think if a trade happens it will be later rather than sooner. Tampa isnt going to give up on negotiations with stamkos until they know for a fact they have no other options. I dont think it will cost as much as people think if its later. At that point its going to come down to the quality of the trade not quantity. Im thinking 2016 1st, 2017 1st, Girgenson and a quality prospect

The price would be insane, but if any team has the assets to do it, it's the Sabres. I'm betting the Lightning would want two firsts and two young players who have already proven that they are likely to meet their potential, such as Ristolainen and Girgensons. I think Reinhart and Pysyk are still a little too questionable in that regard, but maybe Stevie Y could get talked down.

The 'Ning are good enough now to continue winning with that trade, and they should still be winners for a few years - they are in a great position to start stocking the cupbards for 3-4 years down the road.

All that said, I still think the price would be too high for just about anyone.

I think the more fun question is, would you trade Eichel for Stamkos, straight up, right now?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.