Nathan Lieuwen sent down, goalie move coming?

Hoss

I don't follow the Amerks at all. Who has been starting games for them? Have they looked good? 

On a personal level you gotta feel a little bit for Lieuwan but as someone mentioned above, with his concussion history he's almost a time bomb of when he's going to get injured for good. Brian injuries are scary.

It was more of a response to your original post:

Or maybe it's actually to get Lieuwen some work in the AHL, while Chad keeps playing?

The one I responded to seemed like a follow up.

Originally I thought you were trying to say they didn't need a second goalie if Johnson was going to keep playing.

I'm assuming now you meant they'll just bring somebody up as a placeholder so Lieuwen gets work in ROC while Johnson starts... That would make sense. The timing (ahead of a back-to-back) probably doesn't support that, though.

Edited by Hoss

I don't follow the Amerks at all. Who has been starting games for them? Have they looked good? 

On a personal level you gotta feel a little bit for Lieuwan but as someone mentioned above, with his concussion history he's almost a time bomb of when he's going to get injured for good. Brian injuries are scary.

I read Ullmark has been solid.  This might have been the plan all along, get Ullmark some games, while lieuwen sits on the bench untill this back to back happened.

Hopefully we traded for Miller. I want to see how close we could get PA to full meltdown :P

Only if The Pegulas hold a press conference detailing how he forced Murray to make the move and wanted Miller back in the fold so he could become Director of Real Estate Development and Natural Resource Development at Harbor Center when he retires.

Or maybe it's actually to get Lieuwen some work in the AHL, while Chad keeps playing?

That's exactly what it is.  I'd even consider the possibility that Lieuwen gets the Rochester start tonight and then is called back up to start Saturday (depending on how he plays, obviously).

That's exactly what it is.  I'd even consider the possibility that Lieuwen gets the Rochester start tonight and then is called back up to start Saturday (depending on how he plays, obviously).

Given all of the news coming out is that Ullmark is expected to start a game this weekend it seems more likely that they wanted to give him a few AHL games to get back into things after missing the preseason before putting him on the NHL roster, and Lieuwen was a placeholder in case Chad was injured in the meantime.

Get him some playing time before he gets some at the NHL level?  Yeah, that's exactly how it works.  Ulmark has 3 games under his belt, so he's not exactly been smothered with ice time either.

But if that was the plan, why didn't they send Lieuwen down earlier?  I find it hard to believe that they would take someone that's been sitting, send him down to the farm club to play a game there that night, then have him travel back to Buffalo and play Saturday night?  You're saying a guy that hasn't played in weeks is going to be asked to play on two consecutive nights?  That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

The simplest explanation is probably the correct one:  They want to see Ullmark.

Edited by Robins Egg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.