Revisiting one burning question about Terry — why did he buy the Sabres?

PASabreFan

Guys, I'm not Drane obviously

<>

However, in my eyes, I think Pegula saw Buffalo and the Sabres as a lifeboat, rather than a dream team. I know people don't want to hear it and want their Santa Claus, but to my dying day I'll never believe that a billionaire fracker has nothing but love in his heart for a city and their sports teams, and is willing to throw his money into the wind. I just have a feeling we're going to see everything differently in 5-10 years.

mmmhmm.gif

That's not quite true. What the EPA found was that fracking is harmless,… except when it isn't.

…but that's for another thread.

Is that the same as Cliff Benson is never to be believed except when he is?

The guy has been quoted twenty times about why the Sabres, why Harbor Center and the only two things consistent? His answer fits whatever column is being written and in all cases, Benson advised no.

Is that the same as Cliff Benson is never to be believed except when he is?

The guy has been quoted twenty times about why the Sabres, why Harbor Center and the only two things consistent? His answer fits whatever column is being written and in all cases, Benson advised no.

Perfect. If you were to compile what he's said about the how and why this came to be, I think it would be fully all over the lot.

Perfect. If you were to compile what he's said about the how and why this came to be, I think it would be fully all over the lot.

And it might even been all true. Does everyone really think that he bought a $225 million on a whim or without having a complete analysis done? More likely he had some high priced versions of PA, Dudacek, DeLuca compile an expert analysis of his proposed purchase and is there any doubt that in a lot more complicated way they said;

1) Good PR

2) Could help with that NYS Fracking thing

3) Take attention away from the disaster that is Penn State

4) Give your wife something to do

5) Hey, it could be fun

Not to mention a guaranteed return on investment, albeit not what you are used to.

I wouldn't trust what Benson says too much. The only thing we've heard from him and Pegula are nothing but altruistic motives, and nobody's that perfect.

I think Pegula is trying to diversify his fracking money since you never know what regulations and environmental concerns are going to come up in that industry, and he chose to do it in an inexpensive city with room for growth. 

I do not agree. I think Pegula got out of the fracking business before any federal downfall. He know only owns wells, and property. 

And it might even been all true. Does everyone really think that he bought a $225 million on a whim or without having a complete analysis done? More likely he had some high priced versions of PA, Dudacek, DeLuca compile an expert analysis of his proposed purchase and is there any doubt that in a lot more complicated way they said;

1) Good PR

2) Could help with that NYS Fracking thing

3) Take attention away from the disaster that is Penn State

4) Give your wife something to do

5) Hey, it could be fun

Not to mention a guaranteed return on investment, albeit not what you are used to.

His returns are fine, he has $4 Billion sitting in a 2% yield savings account.

Edited by DirtDart

Well, was I wrong to do that? We apparently just found out what the main reason was, and it wasn't on anybody's radar. Questions should have been asked. When he brought area officials and legislators to the arena for an edumucation about fracking, I brought it up. I wasn't alleging he bought the team to influence the fracking debate in NYS. People should have known it was about more than hockey. It's been well established he wasn't that big of a fan. That's not to say the reason for existence of the team isn't to win a Cup, just that it wasn't the reason he bought them. A subtle difference. Good for him, though. No one ever said he's a monster. I'm glad we finally have a little clarity.

It may very well all have to do with fracking in the end. I for one couldn't care less. It may create jobs, and finally get rid of those dam empty grain mills. Frack away Pegula.

It's like anything in life - there can be a number of motivating factors in any decision or purchase an individual makes.   Buffalo is a nice city, beautiful region, and if Terry wants to be instrumental in revitalizing it, then more power to him.  I also think he likes sports too.....which might be a small factor in his purchase -  just a guess.  :)  

I feel like someone needs to say it:

Who the f##k cares why Pegula has done what he has done?

Not I. As long as he's providing all the tools necessary to finish the job for the Sabres, and he is, I don't give a rats ass if he bought the team so that he can prance around the corridors of FNC naked in the middle of the night.

I wish this nuance of thought on why Terry bought the team had been there on Day One. Would have saved me a lot of time. Juuuust a bit more complicated than rich SuperFan wants to buy his beloved hockey team and deliver multiple Cups.

Everyone has their own motivations, just like Uncle Terry.  I'd bet that most are willing to be uninformed as long as there is real hope for the team.  Others like to understand more about the man before supporting him.  Given the 15 years we went through prior to TP buying the team, I think it is understandable that many would not care what his motivations are as long as he's given them hope.

Me?  I'm cynical enough to expect that this is predominately dollars driven, a business decision first.  But that's OK as long as he doesn't end up fingered as a crook.  And provides a winner, of course.

I wish this nuance of thought on why Terry bought the team had been there on Day One. Would have saved me a lot of time. Juuuust a bit more complicated than rich SuperFan wants to buy his beloved hockey team and deliver multiple Cups.

I think the progression of thought and scrutiny has been a natural one. Around here, I mean.

In terms of the mainstream media, aren't they still doing feel-good puff pieces on the Pegulas? (Thinking here of the Roc D&C and 60 Minutes, both of which did profiles in/around September 2015).

The amount of effort put into trying to make the Pegulas into villains by a few posters is mind boggling. So he bought the team as a means to get a foot in the door on the revitalization of a city and that's supposed to be negative in any way? It's not. In fact that's a great reason to buy a team.

And I believe it was Liger who had the post that should've ended this conversation: why would this reasoning and attempting to bring a championship to the city be mutually exclusive? This city loves its sports and often times is content or not based on the performance of its teams... Happier people spend more money so winning teams would play a part in making this city better.

We can have our cake and eat it, too: we got owners who are here for the long haul and we can love them for it. It's okay to be happy about SOMETHING in your sporting fandom.

I think the progression of thought and scrutiny has been a natural one. Around here, I mean.

In terms of the mainstream media, aren't they still doing feel-good puff pieces on the Pegulas? (Thinking here of the Roc D&C and 60 Minutes, both of which did profiles in/around September 2015).

60 Minutes? Wow, I missed that one. Mike Wallace?

Ya know who the real conspiracy buffs are on this site? Not me. I am an amateur compared to those who see attacks on Pegula wherever they look. Hoss is just the latest. It's almost like some of you are trying to convince yourselves that TP isn't evil incarnate.

Everyone has their own motivations, just like Uncle Terry.  I'd bet that most are willing to be uninformed as long as there is real hope for the team.  Others like to understand more about the man before supporting him.  Given the 15 years we went through prior to TP buying the team, I think it is understandable that many would not care what his motivations are as long as he's given them hope.

You could also argue that the Rigas and Golisano years would make a lot of fans very suspicious of any new owner.

I think Pegula is a robotic automaton and Pinky and the Brain are riding around in his head pushing buttons and pulling levers.  Ultimately, it's part of Brain's latest scheme to take over the world.

tumblr_m6qtmo8hOi1qhzmjho1_400.jpg

NAAAAARRRRF.

You know him as Mr. Perkins.

I'm thrilled.

Buffalo finally has a Bass Family.*

*Here in Fort Worth, the Basses are a multi-billion-dollar family that made their money wildcatting (think of James Dean in Giant), made a boatload of money, then cashed out of the oil business (mostly) and diversified.  They totally reinvigorated an embarrassingly dead downtown district, built a world class performance hall, and most recently redeveloped two parking lots into the set you see ESPN use when they come to the DFW area (for Super Bowls, College Game Day, etc.)

NS_30GAMEDAY16_39521693.jpg

They started in the 1980s and it took them more than 20 years to really turn things around.  In comparison, Pegula's splash in Buffalo has been much more immediate.  I just hope it's as sustained as the Bass Family influence in Fort Worth.

I was going to say something similar. Great cities all have patrons. One or more wealthy families that invest in their cities. It could be for philanthropic reasons. It could be for wealth-building reasons. But the bottom line is cities need investment and no one before Terry was making the kind of serious commitment it takes to revive a region.

I'm sure many of us would look around Buffalo and think "this could be a really nice place if we fixed it up." From the waterfront to beautiful old buildings, it has loads of potential. A "fixer-upper" if you will. But to really get things rolling you need someone with Terry's checkbook. You have to be willing to spend the amounts that would scare away lesser developers because failure would mean losing all you have. Terry can afford to eat a few mistakes.

The side benefit is once the Pegula's prime the pump, everyone else wants in as well. Suddenly there is a pulse downtown. I don't care why Terry and Kim are doing this. I'm just glad it's happening.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Ya know who the real conspiracy buffs are on this site? Not me. I am an amateur compared to those who see attacks on Pegula wherever they look. Hoss is just the latest. It's almost like some of you are trying to convince yourselves that TP isn't evil incarnate.

I mean why on earth would anyone around here think that yet another thread started by you about Pegula isn't about trying to undermine the guy and what hes done in some way?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.