Revisiting one burning question about Terry — why did he buy the Sabres?

PASabreFan

Not an accusation. It happened. It was in the news. And I don't consider it sinister.

We are done, because now you're making things up.

Nah, were done because apparently you can't own your posting record.

I'll leave it this, you're not going to be able to start Pegula threads or comment about him without your history coming up. It's just the way it is, and you've got nowhere else to look for blame on that other than in the mirror.

Nah, were done because apparently you can't own your posting record.

I'll leave it this, you're not going to be able to start Pegula threads or comment about him without your history coming up. It's just the way it is, and you've got nowhere else to look for blame on that other than in the mirror.

I own everything that's accurate. I didn't accuse Terry of having a fracking orientation session in "his" arena for the big wigs. You make it sound like it's up for debate. It happened, I posted the link, and there was a discussion. Why do questions scare some of you so much? By the way, the last burning question I had about Terry back in January 2011 was boxers or briefs. That's where the string of questions petered out. Insert Clip Smith tuba sound effect here.

Good post. I obviously don't live in Buffalo but as someone on the outside from what I can see he has done more for that city in a short time than anyone. I only wish there was a Billionaire willing to do the same for my little city. What a fortunate stroke of luck that he chose Buffalo.

Last week a cousin visited me from Buffalo and I asked about the downtown area and she said it is amazing in how it is growing and looking beautiful.  I asked what she thought of Pegula and she said they are gods in the city. 

I can guarantee you that fans hang onto "Starting today..." and the notion that above all else Pegula is about winning a Cup. The disappointment will be enormous if it ever comes out that he's not "about that." And it'll take more than Benson suggesting that something else was the driving reason he bought the team.

I'm sure lots of people are hanging onto that quote inasmuch as it reflects a real, genuine commitment to winning the Cup.

You're in a far (far) smaller cohort of people who see his commitment to other things as inconsistent with the commitment to building a contender.

I have seen nothing to indicate that he's not about winning Cups.

And, yes, I know. Lindy. Darcy. And such.

Disagreeing with decisions he's made isn't evidence that he lacks commitment to building a winner.

Now, there are questions of competence and wisdom and such. But the commitment is there.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Not an accusation. It happened. It was in the news. And I don't consider it sinister.

We are done, because now you're making things up.

I can guarantee you that fans hang onto "Starting today..." and the notion that above all else Pegula is about winning a Cup. The disappointment will be enormous if it ever comes out that he's not "about that." And it'll take more than Benson suggesting that something else was the driving reason he bought the team.

You are still hanging onto it.  As for the rest of the fans who you guarantee they either understand that when you buy a sports team you don't come out and say "Hell, Let me see what I can do with this thing.".  If they don't they will probably be happy chasing laser pointer lights around the room too.

If you are seriously anchored on meaningless sports speak then perhaps you should take a step back.  

"Hi, I'm Terry Pegula. I bought the Sabres because I'd like to blow some money and have some fun. Don't really care if we win. Let's just put on a show for the fans."  

Oh.. are you hanging on the "sole reason for existence" wording?  What are hockey teams operated for? Perhaps he was a bit overzealous in saying the "sole reason" but really, that is why a hockey team exists.  It exists to win the Stanley Cup.  The rest of it is a by product of its existence.  We could probably get fairly philosophical on that but why?  It's sports speak.

Terry Pegula bought a hockey team.  He made real estate investments.  All of them to help him make more money, satisfy some level of ego, and put his family on solid ground for the future. Buffalo was a great place for him to invest. He had history with the city. His wife had history with Rochester.  It's great marketing and it tells a story.  We all love stories.

When he bought the team he made some decisions on how to proceed.  Those didn't work. BFD. He's taken another role now and things appear to be turning around.  Will they turn completely?  Who knows... all I know is that the center of the hockey universe hasn't won a Stanley Cup since before the Sabres existed so it's safe to say that all the "other" stuff doesn't mean anything when it comes to winning the cup.

I dunno.. why are we still talking about Pegula?  What's the point?  What point am I supposed to concede?  I'm confused at this point.

You are still hanging onto it.  As for the rest of the fans who you guarantee they either understand that when you buy a sports team you don't come out and say "Hell, Let me see what I can do with this thing.".  If they don't they will probably be happy chasing laser pointer lights around the room too.

If you are seriously anchored on meaningless sports speak then perhaps you should take a step back.  

"Hi, I'm Terry Pegula. I bought the Sabres because I'd like to blow some money and have some fun. Don't really care if we win. Let's just put on a show for the fans."  

Oh.. are you hanging on the "sole reason for existence" wording?  What are hockey teams operated for? Perhaps he was a bit overzealous in saying the "sole reason" but really, that is why a hockey team exists.  It exists to win the Stanley Cup.  The rest of it is a by product of its existence.  We could probably get fairly philosophical on that but why?  It's sports speak.

Terry Pegula bought a hockey team.  He made real estate investments.  All of them to help him make more money, satisfy some level of ego, and put his family on solid ground for the future. Buffalo was a great place for him to invest. He had history with the city. His wife had history with Rochester.  It's great marketing and it tells a story.  We all love stories.

When he bought the team he made some decisions on how to proceed.  Those didn't work. BFD. He's taken another role now and things appear to be turning around.  Will they turn completely?  Who knows... all I know is that the center of the hockey universe hasn't won a Stanley Cup since before the Sabres existed so it's safe to say that all the "other" stuff doesn't mean anything when it comes to winning the cup.

I dunno.. why are we still talking about Pegula?  What's the point?  What point am I supposed to concede?  I'm confused at this point.

:huh: Pretty sure Moe-ray-all has 8 since the Sabres came on the scene. ;)

It's amazing how many people who aren't interested in this topic have felt the need to read it and post their thoughts. And ignore the point: Pegula's close advisor revealed possibly the main reason he bought the team. It could have been a good discussion, the role of a sports team, a sports owner, in revitalizing a city... where does Pegula go from here?... and so on. But the usual suspects hijacked it. #shocker

It's amazing how many people who aren't interested in this topic have felt the need to read it and post their thoughts. And ignore the point: Pegula's close advisor revealed possibly the main reason he bought the team. It could have been a good discussion, the role of a sports team, a sports owner, in revitalizing a city... where does Pegula go from here?... and so on. But the usual suspects hijacked it. #shocker

It hasn't been ignored so much as it doesn't move the needle for most people.

And this is a message board. A lot of posters read every thread.

So, it was all about mind control. Now we're getting somewhere.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/kim-pegula-is-buffalos-first-lady-of-sports-20151018

It would explain the sickly praise he gets from inside the building.

Has anyone seen Pat Lafontaine lately?

Doug Marrone? Ted Nolan? Linus Omark?

You're a glutton for punishment.   :P

Speaking of which, my other angle, and it's a juicy one, is that Terry was behind all the baby-eating in Carolina. I know, it's shocking. But hear me out. He was in those parking lots, in disguise (no one knew him at the time, but he couldn't risk being recognized later or appearing in photos), seeing how the infant loin was basted, seared, lightly sauced, thinly shaved and absolutely devoured. He already had his team of scientists, led by Dr. Karamanoukian, studying the composition of WNY baby fat, known to be similar to North Carolina baby fat, and he knew that Buffalo's babies were even more fatty and delectable, highest in LDL cholesterol and triglycerides. (Buffalo didn't have the highest heart attack rate in the industrialized world for nothing.) Their mothers had eaten wings, pizza logs, beefs on weck and Paula's Donuts during their many hormone-driven gorges, and that stuff is known to get passed through the placenta. He knew these babies would be marketable as the finest tasting in the world. But there was one problem: getting people to want to eat them. That wouldn't be easy. Grown men were delighting in baby-cue in Raleigh, driven by raw hatred for Rod Brind'Amour alone. You can't, however, replicate Hurricane Hate on a worldwide scale. What would be needed would be a global environmental crisis that would wipe out virtually every other food source. Of course, Terry had been working on such an environmental calamity for decades, and all of the fracking would surely soon pay off. The truth of his first visit to the arena with "Cliff" Benson isn't that they looked out the front of the arena and saw the possibilities for the Webster Block, but that they looked out the back, at the huge grain silos, and saw the answer to the last logistical problem with their plan (they even already had the face of their product, an adorable, tiny tot of a man with the perfect name). Pegula and Benson reached the same conclusion at the exact same time. "They could hold millions of babies!" they said in unison, then tried to high five each other, to no avail. Dr. Karamanoukian, who had cured Brian Campbell's hyperhidrosis years before, in an experiment that was actually all about how to keep salty brine inside infants, had assured Pegula that the little ones could be kept tender and moist with such a solution. Where to store all these crotch turds had been the sticking point. One final problem, seeking one final solution: "How to get the men of this region to want to breed that many babies," Benson pondered. "Well, Kim can design a cute little onesy. That'll take care of the ladies," Terry said. "But the men, I mean, we've already talked about showing off Kim's legs to prime the pump. We'll need more, though." Terry suddenly remembered a funny story Mike Ilitch told him at the Bilderberg Conference, about how each time the Wings won a Cup, there was a mini baby boom nine in Michigan nine months later. "Yes, that's it! These fellows will have to be feel a pride like they've never felt before for the little Sabres logo that will be stitched directly over the left breast on the onesy. The close calls have been great, especially in — what year was that they almost won the Cup? — but they won't move the needle this time. What it will take is the whole enchilada." After polishing off his bag of Bugles, Pegula turned to Battista, who had been standing back in deference, and, following a very pregnant pause, first uttered those infamous words. "Starting today..."

Speaking of which, my other angle, and it's a juicy one, is that Terry was behind all the baby-eating in Carolina. I know, it's shocking. But hear me out. He was in those parking lots, in disguise (no one knew him at the time, but he couldn't risk being recognized later or appearing in photos), seeing how the infant loin was basted, seared, lightly sauced, thinly shaved and absolutely devoured. He already had his team of scientists, led by Dr. Karamanoukian, studying the composition of WNY baby fat, known to be similar to North Carolina baby fat, and he knew that Buffalo's babies were even more fatty and delectable, highest in LDL cholesterol and triglycerides. (Buffalo didn't have the highest heart attack rate in the industrialized world for nothing.) Their mothers had eaten wings, pizza logs, beefs on weck and Paula's Donuts during their many hormone-driven gorges, and that stuff is known to get passed through the placenta. He knew these babies would be marketable as the finest tasting in the world. But there was one problem: getting people to want to eat them. That wouldn't be easy. Grown men were delighting in baby-cue in Raleigh, driven by raw hatred for Rod Brind'Amour alone. You can't, however, replicate Hurricane Hate on a worldwide scale. What would be needed would be a global environmental crisis that would wipe out virtually every other food source. Of course, Terry had been working on such an environmental calamity for decades, and all of the fracking would surely soon pay off. The truth of his first visit to the arena with "Cliff" Benson isn't that they looked out the front of the arena and saw the possibilities for the Webster Block, but that they looked out the back, at the huge grain silos, and saw the answer to the last logistical problem with their plan (they even already had the face of their product, an adorable, tiny tot of a man with the perfect name). Pegula and Benson reached the same conclusion at the exact same time. "They could hold millions of babies!" they said in unison, then tried to high five each other, to no avail. Dr. Karamanoukian, who had cured Brian Campbell's hyperhidrosis years before, in an experiment that was actually all about how to keep salty brine inside infants, had assured Pegula that the little ones could be kept tender and moist with such a solution. Where to store all these crotch turds had been the sticking point. One final problem, seeking one final solution: "How to get the men of this region to want to breed that many babies," Benson pondered. "Well, Kim can design a cute little onesy. That'll take care of the ladies," Terry said. "But the men, I mean, we've already talked about showing off Kim's legs to prime the pump. We'll need more, though." Terry suddenly remembered a funny story Mike Ilitch told him at the Bilderberg Conference, about how each time the Wings won a Cup, there was a mini baby boom nine in Michigan nine months later. "Yes, that's it! These fellows will have to be feel a pride like they've never felt before for the little Sabres logo that will be stitched directly over the left breast on the onesy. The close calls have been great, especially in — what year was that they almost won the Cup? — but they won't move the needle this time. What it will take is the whole enchilada." After polishing off his bag of Bugles, Pegula turned to Battista, who had been standing back in deference, and, following a very pregnant pause, first uttered those infamous words. "Starting today..."

Are we not entertained?

I'm funnin' ya.  Relax.

the "keeping the salty brine in infants" is great stuff.  WTF did you get this?

Edited by We've

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.